Welcome to the rum soaked fist. Please introduce yourself

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: Welcome to the rum soaked fist. Please introduce yourself

Postby McGrath on Sat Apr 29, 2017 1:52 pm

Hello!
My name is Robert, from Ottawa, Canada. I've bounced around between non-internal forms in the past (Taekwondo, long fist, mantis) until I started training with Yang Hai in Montreal 2 years ago. I began with a focus on Heibei style Xingyi, but am now learning some Bagua.
I absolutely love it, and wish I found an internal style teacher years ago, but.. well.. Ottawa sucks for martial arts.
McGrath
Santi

Postby Stillness on Fri May 19, 2017 10:55 am

Hi

I have practiced Yang style Tai chi on and off for a few years.
In all I would say I probably practiced it for 2 years in total.
In the time I learned 13, 24, stick and sword forms. My attendance was very broken....and therefore, broken Tai chi too, I guess. :-\
Recently I started training again (Jan 2017) and after going over the forms that I've previously learned, I have moved on to Chen style, I've always wanted to learn Chen style but could never find a teacher.
I am now 90% done learning the 1st routine "Yilu" and also have now found a teacher whom I'm currently learning more from. Being in South Africa, especially Johannesburg, it's hard to find a Chen style teacher.
The reason why I practice Tai chi and not moving from it is because I enjoy learning more about the culture behind it, the philosophy , the deep rooted teachings (TAO), the health benefits, the meditation, the STILLNESS, oh and let us not forget the very real self defense aspect of it.
I would also like to learn at least 1 Bagua form. :)

I hope to learn more from everyone here and I hope that I will be able to add value to the community as well.
Stillness
Santi

Postby Stillness on Fri May 19, 2017 11:02 am

robert wrote:Hi I'm Robert,

I've been studying Chen style taijiquan for 17 years with Chen Xiaowang, Chen Xiaoxing, Chen Bing, and Chen Ziqiang. Prior to that I studied xingyiquan and Liang Zhenpu baguazhang for 3 years and Yang style taijiquan for 3 years before that.

Hi Robert

Wow, 17 years is a long time. You're probably reached a good level by now.
Stillness
Santi

Postby Dimitri on Wed May 24, 2017 3:30 pm

Hi,

I'm Dimitri from Shropshire, England. I have trained Taijiquan and various other internal martial arts, daoist medicine & clinical qigong and daoist neigong for the last 15 years.

I look forward to meet fellow internal martial artists.

With palms together,
Dimitri
Dimitri
Santi

Postby robert on Sun May 28, 2017 3:02 pm

Stillness wrote:Wow, 17 years is a long time. You're probably reached a good level by now.

Not really, but everything's relative. I compare myself to my teachers ;) I have reached a point where I do enjoy working out. Being able do a few forms and all the movements seem internal without having to cheat is pretty cool. Since my teachers are overseas I do one or two workshops and private lessons a year and then train on my own the rest of the time. That's a fairly slow process, but I keep moving forward.
Try not to let the words confuse you — they serve no other purpose than to guide you into the inner structures of Taiji. Chen Xin
robert
Mingjing

Previous

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan