Welcome to the rum soaked fist. Please introduce yourself

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: Welcome to the rum soaked fist. Please introduce yourself

Postby Aky on Wed May 14, 2014 1:39 am

Hello,
I am new to the forum.
My main practice is Ving Tsun (4-5 years), I have also practiced Taekwondo and Judo. Soon I hope to find some time to start also Taichi chuan.

Looking forward to learning and hopefully contributing here.

Cheers
Aky
Santi

Postby Alexatron on Wed May 21, 2014 12:25 am

Greetings,
Currently I am learning Chen Tai Chi Chuan, Baguazhang and Healing Arts Kung Fu all under sifu Danny Gordon. I started a couple of years ago but due to family commitments had to take over a year's break. Just got back to training a couple of months ago so still getting back into the swing of things.

The above is my only involvement with IMA to date but I have about 30 years of training with external styles which include Judo, Shotokan Karate, Jyshinmon Shorin Ryu Karate, Chungdokwan Tae Kwon Do, Hapkido, Kempo, Jiu Jitsu and some questionable Kung Fu.

After collecting a life time of injuries I decided it was either time to give up MA altogether or finally give those dubious looking internal arts a go :-) Wish I'd had a more open mind over the years since it hasn't taken long to see the many advantages in IMA. Not only am I learning some pretty cool and practicable martial arts but I'm also healing myself at the same time. Anyway I'm only 50 years old and the oldest lady in our Tai Chi class is 86 so I figure its not too late for me to learn some new tricks.

Hopefully I can tap into some of the obvious depth of knowledge resident within this forum to help me on my journey.

Regards

Alex

*OMG* I can't believe I've actually found a forum where my posts appear - the first two forums I joined were total duds and after 3 or 4 days my posts still weren't appearing. Perhaps I've found the promised land at last?
Last edited by Alexatron on Wed May 21, 2014 12:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
A boast is a gift to the enemy
- Chiun, Master of Sinanju
Alexatron
Anjing

Postby MiaoZhen on Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:45 pm

Hi all... Here's a short self intro, 我的自我介紹!

I am a long time martial arts practitioner - I started back in 1982 with Okinawan karate and have trained in something ever since (more or less). When I was in graduate school I had the great opportunity to live and study in Okinawa, so while there I trained at the Kyudokan in Naha. I've practiced Qigong since the 1990s and most recently have been studying Chen Taiji (which I really think fits me quite well). I've also had training in Japanese Koryu Bujutsu.

I am a professional doctor of acupuncture and Oriental medicine, which takes up most of my time. While I spend most days in the clinic I travel quite a bit to lecture and once in awhile delve into writing. I'm very happy to be here to read about everyone's experiences.

Henry
Dr Henry Ma 馬爾博
--所以練拳術不在形式。只在神氣圓滿無虧而已。
MiaoZhen
Santi

Postby russ00swan on Sat Jun 21, 2014 2:11 pm

Hi my name is Russ I do Wing Chun, only been training for about four months have a very good Victor Kan lineage Sifu who is blending the Chin Na back into the style using his Aikido training.
Last edited by russ00swan on Sat Jun 21, 2014 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The Way of the Warrior has been misunderstood. It is not a means to kill and destroy others."
russ00swan
Santi

Postby Pipefighter,PhD on Sat Jun 28, 2014 7:50 pm

Hey,
New to basically all online forum posting. Just started this week. I am a long time wrestler from the MidWest, collegiate and freestyle. I transitioned to CMA's later in life as an answer to violent crime, though i have never joined a school who assumed any knowledge about crime or taught from a second hand experience position. Seems like a cool forum!!
johnwang wrote:In order to make anything truly belong to you, you have to take it apart, understand it, put it back together any way that you want to.

"If you have an ugly wife you have to be good at hopping"
Pipefighter,PhD
Mingjing

Postby 100kilos on Mon Jun 30, 2014 2:41 pm

Hi from new york!!! I train at Marcelo Garcia's gym, currently a white belt. Have a black belt in Kyokushin and have dabbled with the internal martial arts. Been lurking for a while and I am Glad to be here!!!!!
Last edited by 100kilos on Mon Jun 30, 2014 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
100kilos
Anjing

Postby GrahamB on Mon Jun 30, 2014 3:07 pm

Welcome 100 kilos - Marcelo is amazing, must be great to train under him!
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby 100kilos on Mon Jun 30, 2014 3:11 pm

Thanks GrahamB, Mercelo is great and the school is awesome filled with great people. I have trained elsewhere and have the Pleasure of meeting Serge Augier's student Arnaud in Chicago, and if he is any indication all I can say is that I NEVER want to be hit by Serge :-X
100kilos
Anjing

Postby MaguiBaguaNJ on Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:27 pm

Hi Everyone. I'm Ian.
I'm living in northern New Jersey at the moment. I've been studying MA since I was six. I study Magui Baguazhang with Li Baohua. I studied with him in Japan until about a year ago, now I go back whenever I can. I'm starting a group in NJ and one of my students recommended this site, I'm glad to be here!
MaguiBaguaNJ
Santi

Postby patterner on Fri Sep 19, 2014 10:56 am

Hi all,

I'm Chris. I've studied a little bit of Tung (or Dong) style taiji with a student of Tung Kai Ying. Only about 6 months though, so I didn't *quite* cover all of the slow set, and never got to do any of the fast set stuff. I haven't kept up with it, unfortunately, and I now no longer live in that area, though I'm considering getting back into either Tung (if I can find it in my new area) or some other style of taijiquan (probably Yang, Chen, or Wu, depending on what I can find close by).

I've also studied a little bit (about 3 months) of Bagua with a student of Park Bok Nam. It was fun, but I've always had more interest in taiji.

In the distant past, I've done a bit of Aikido, TKD, and Wing Chun.

If anyone know's of a good school in the Phoenix/Scottsdale area, I'd be happy to hear about it. :)
patterner
Santi

Postby skyebyson on Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:16 am

My names Nickole, middle name Skye. Born and raised in Nassau Bahamas. I've had lessons in the Five Animals but very little. Due to being on the island it's hard to find good teachers for such practices. We have more of karate and boxing teachers down here.
My hopes are to find one for my interest in Bagua. I don't want to teach myself or just watch videos in hopes I can pick things up. I haven't started my practices or anything of the sort yet, I want to have a good trainer and stalk up on as much information as I can. Hopefully I can find one here
Looking forward in learning a lot from the forum and happy to be here :)
Last edited by skyebyson on Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Leo Monkey
skyebyson
Santi

Postby northerndevotee on Thu Sep 25, 2014 1:21 pm

Hi i am aitch. I started my martial arts traing with tang soo do under master mujahid khan. After a fallmy back was injured and after a couple of years trying to get back into it i finaly accepted i could onger continue with the training. I picked up a book on the short yang form by robert barry and started trying to learn tcc. After a couple of years exercising this way without putting my back out i decided to look for a proper teacher. I found jian xiong who taught me the stationary set 48 and 24 forms.she is now my partner. On visiting beijing i found a freind in madam mung, a inner disciple of wang pei sheng who taught me some of his(wps) tai chi. I would have happily become her student but my partner wished to seek out li lian for instruction. We found li lian and learnt ding shi on that first visit through his american disciple alan for which i am thankful. On subsequent visits li lian himself has taught my partner liang shi which she has conveyed to me and he has also given myself instruction in wu tunans tai chi and chi gong. Although this has always been with the help of my partner or one of his surprisingly many english speaking students. My ding shi training took two years. I've been practicing liang shi five years now. I still practice all the forms i have learnt but not very often except for li lians form which i do nearly everyday.
northerndevotee
Santi

Postby Scott Larson on Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:46 am

Hello all,

I'm from Buffalo, NY and I have been practicing Bazhendaoquan with Erin Markle of Gold Summit for about 15 years. I have practiced Taiji since then, but in the last few years I am focusing my efforts on the internal side of training. I've recently begun learning Baji from Lee Chi Wai of Chung Wah.

For more information:
Gold Summit Martial Arts Institute; Buffalo, NY - buffalokungfu.com & laoshierinmarkle.com

Chung Wah Kung Fu; Toronto, ON - chungwahkungfu.com
www.buffalokungfu.com

The only authentic kung fu school in western New York.
Scott Larson
Santi

Postby Nathan_Faber on Fri Oct 17, 2014 12:00 am

Hi!

I'm Nathan. I'm a 29 years old, new student of tai-chi. I'm not in the best physical shape, but I'm working on it.
I've been training for about six months now - my teacher has studied under master Wang Wei Guo, who studied under master Gu Lisheng, who was a disciple of Yang Shao Hou.
I'm here to learn, so I might not post much - but I'll read a lot.
Nathan_Faber
Santi

Postby Michael on Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:33 pm

Hi Nathan, welcome to the forum. There's also a facebook group of the same name and I believe the admin from the forum is the founder of that group and can admit new members, Fong Liu.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/rumsoakedfist/

I think the facebook group is mainly a good place to make contact with other RSF martial artists, maybe not so incredibly active in the RSF facebook group itself.
Michael

PreviousNext

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan