Welcome to the rum soaked fist. Please introduce yourself

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: Welcome to the rum soaked fist. Please introduce yourself

Postby boxofyi on Tue May 13, 2008 3:28 pm

Hi folks. My name is Brant...been a member for a couple of years now, don't post often but like to check in here and there when I have something to contribute.
A little about my background in martial arts:

mid 80's to early nineties - trained mostly in a Vietnamese version of Shaolin luohan called Volamdao.
mid 90's to mid 2000's - mostly qi gong, baduanjin, and martial basics to stay fit.
2006 to present - Sun style Xingyiquan, Yang small frame Taiji(from Ye Dami lineage), zhan zhuang, qi gong, tibetan yoga, taoist and buddhist meditation practices

Thanks to everyone at this forum for their contributions.

Cheers,
B
boxofyi
Santi

Postby Qi_Monkey on Tue May 13, 2008 3:30 pm

Mark from NYC.....Started Judo as a kid for a few yrs, long hiatus, played with Aikido a bit before discovering CMA...

Did Tibeten Lama Pai for 3 yrs, currently doing Taiji,considering cross-training in XingYi....To all those who make this forum possible, many thanks....
Qi_Monkey
Santi

Postby Muad'dib on Tue May 13, 2008 3:33 pm

Dan.

Just getting back into things.

I studied taiji (Wu and Hao) with Yao Peijing since 1998, along with Liu Feng Chun Ba Xing Bagua. Stopped in 2002. Trying to get back into things. When/if I move back to Japan I will try to study at either Aunkai, or with Su Dong Chen.

Prior MA experience includes Kendo (1 year), Judo, general knife fighting with mixed practitioners (Pentjak Silat, Filipino).

Currently fat and out of shape.
I am no longer allowed to make statements regarding international politics in a public forum.
Muad'dib
Great Old One

Postby Muad'dib on Tue May 13, 2008 3:43 pm

Dan.

Just getting back into things.

I studied taiji (Wu and Hao) with Yao Peijing since 1998, along with Liu Feng Chun Ba Xing Bagua. Stopped in 2002. Trying to get back into things. When/if I move back to Japan I will try to study at either Aunkai, or with Su Dong Chen.

Prior MA experience includes Kendo (1 year), Judo, general knife fighting with mixed practitioners (Pentjak Silat, Filipino).

Currently fat and out of shape.
I am no longer allowed to make statements regarding international politics in a public forum.
Muad'dib
Great Old One

Postby Michael on Tue May 13, 2008 3:57 pm

Hello All,

Started with Pan Gu Shengong in early 2002, which got me interested in health topics from the Chinese perspective. Did some reading on Chinese/Oriental Medicine and was lucky enough to meet an American doctor of Chinese Medicine who also knew Ba Gua, Taiji, and Xing Yi, as well as a type of Taoist qigong. I started with the 24 Step Form with him, and after I moved to China I began learning the YCF 88, but now only practice qigong. Hoping to resume the taiji when I can get some instruction in English.

Michael
Michael

Postby Leishen on Tue May 13, 2008 4:40 pm

Hi to everyone

Practice from 1981 with various styles hard/soft, qigong, bujutsu etc.
Since 1995 mostly neijia. Bagua Zhang of Li Ziming lineage, balei quan,Taijiquan of Chen (the 19 posture form) and Northern Wu, some Xing Yi Quan from Liu Jing Ru line.
My main interests currently are the Northern Wu style of taijiquan and the Xing Yi Quan with the YCGF of Grandmaster Wang Peisheng through Zhang Yun laoshr since 2006, along with daoist meditation.

Best
Last edited by Leishen on Tue May 13, 2008 4:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Leishen
Great Old One

Postby Dale Dugas on Tue May 13, 2008 4:41 pm

Brothers and sisters,

I was an external stylist who started in Uechi Ryu Karate at 10 and made BB at 15. Crossed over to Hung gar and then went to many seminars while a college student and meet some cool people.

Lived in Japan for a few years and studied Shorinji Kempo, Aikido and kept up with my foundational art Uechi.

Came back here and was introduced to the internal arts.

Met my teacher Dr. John Painter in 1999 and now have certification to teach the foundational program of Jiulong Baguazhang.

I also practice and teach Iron Palm, and brew some really strong dit da jow which people on EF can attest to.

Glad to be here.
Dr. Dale Dugas, AP DOM MAOM, Dipl.OM
http://www.daledugas.com
Dale Dugas
Great Old One

Postby Taijikid on Tue May 13, 2008 4:57 pm

Hello Everyone,

I started my study of Taiji in 1975. Through the years learned Yang, Wu and Chen styles. My main practice style is Chen but sometimes I will practice Yang and Wu too, cause they give me different training perspectives.

I have a youtube channel "Taijilam" where I uploaded clips of my Chen teacher's teaching videos through the years.

I am 60 years old now, retired and play golf most of time. I find it very interesting to study the "single" golf swing as there are so many golf greats with different mechanics but still can hit the ball far and accurate. How's that relate to IMA when we talk about what is the correct structures etc with so many different moves.
Taijikid
Anjing

Postby Jake on Tue May 13, 2008 5:17 pm

Hi,

My name's Jake. I've been practicing martial arts since 1977. I started with Tae Kwon Do when I was 10 and started studying Shaolin and HsingYi around 1980-81. Been walking the circle since 96.

I like the kung fu.

Cheers!
errrrr.............
Jake
Huajing

Postby fisherman on Tue May 13, 2008 5:30 pm

Hi,
I am Chris Haynes.
In 1998 I began my study of Chinese martial arts studying Shao-lin gong fu, animal styles, weapons and the internal martial arts. After recovering from a knee injury I became a student of Marcus Brinkman in Boulder, Colorado, devoting myself to learning and researching the Yi Zong internal martial arts system.
When Marcus left the Colorado area I continued my studies with Bill Metzgar and Owen Schilling. After years of individual instruction and concentrated personal dedication I have been appointed class leader, and I teach class once a week.

Good to see all you crazy EF'ers!
fisherman
Great Old One

Postby bruce on Tue May 13, 2008 5:33 pm

names bruce ... "fish are friends, not food".

hi ya'all,

started learning internal martial arts i 1996.
i practice yang tai chi chuan, chen xin jia tai chi chuan, hsing i chuan, jiang rong qiao "original" bagua.
i started learning gao bagua recently (my new love -bow- )

always on a quest for knowledge, i travel the world at least half the year and met and learn from any one who will share.
bruce
Great Old One

Postby Briggy on Tue May 13, 2008 5:38 pm

Hi All,
Nice to be on the EF forum again. I don't post much but I read the threads regularly and learn a lot from the discussions.
My name is Chris and have been practicing Taiji since 1985. I started out in a school in Wales learning a CMC based system and after 9 years of that, I began to study with Dr Shen Hongxun in the UK and Belgium. It is a system I have continued to work with up to the present. Am interested in Bagua and Hsing I but have not studied with any specific teacher - I just try stuff out as part of my practice, I have done a lot of Zhan Zhuang in my Taiji practice.......I live in the south of Brazil these days.

All the Best,
C
Briggy
Santi

Postby Craig on Tue May 13, 2008 6:19 pm

Figured I'd post my intro again just cos.

As my sig line indicates, been training for a few years now. I learn two branches of Xin Yi Liu He, one branch though my coach's grandfather, and one branch that comes through Lu Song Gao. I also practice Cha Quan, and practice Fu Zhongwen's Yang Tai Ji Quan form as a support for the other two styles I do (dont really practice a full cirriculum of yang tjq, just use it as supplementary practice for the other two styles). I dabbled in karate when I was a kid. I dance hip hop, draw and model in 3D, play guitar and formerly trumpet, and have just recently gotten into gymnastics (mostly tumbling, i.e. flips, saults, rolls etc).

I will be 23 in November and I live in the captial of Aus.
Craig
Great Old One

Postby Dillon on Tue May 13, 2008 7:22 pm

Hey everyone, name's Dillon. I started training in '99, practicing Norther Praying Mantis with Arthur Makaris, and Yin Baguazhang (just a little) with Arthur and with He Jinbao when he would visit. I switched to a traditional taekwondo school in 2002ish,with Keith Hathaway, for several reasons. I trained the tkd fairly intensely, living and working at the dojang for periods of time. In 2004 I started training with Bob Boyd, in Yang Style taijiquan, and I work with him when I can afford to. I left taekwondo in 2007, joining a school I was on friendly terms with but hadn't formally trained at that teaches Baji, Xingyi, and Chen Taiji. Switching to these styles (and returning to CMA in general) was like coming home, and that's where I'm at for the moment. I've played with other styles here and there (aikido on and off for a few years, and boxing at the moment) but these are the MA that I've worked with the most.
Dillon
Santi

Postby WuGuy on Tue May 13, 2008 8:49 pm

Hi All,
I'm Russell. Learned the Wu style Long form from Steven Barnes, who learned it from Hawkins Cheung. Before and after have dabbled in TKD, Isshin-ryu, and spent some time doing Kali/JKD at the IMB academy under Richard Bustillo. Nowadays I'm an illegitimate hack who teaches because I love practicing and communicating the art and its many subtleties, and it's also the best way for me to keep learning while my kids are young and the house needs lots of work.

Non--martial stuff
Serious biker/Guzzi rider - 24k miles this year
Metalworker/Bladesmith - I love pounding hot steel
Been doing some singing lately too - Kinda like doing Tai Chi in a strange park by myself, can be very nerve-wracking.
--
Russell Barr
WuGuy
Santi

PreviousNext

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan