Welcome to the rum soaked fist. Please introduce yourself

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: Welcome to the rum soaked fist. Please introduce yourself

Postby Niu on Wed Sep 07, 2016 11:55 pm

Hello there! I'm Niu. I practice Taijiquan, specifically ZMQ Yang-style, as taught by Ben Lo to my teacher's teacher. I'm pretty new at it, having only been practicing for 1.5 years. That time was mostly spent learning the single form this style has to offer, with a little bit of tuishou on the side for the past half year.

Seeing people on this board say they've been practicing for decades is quite intimidating! I guess we all have to start somewhere though. Looking forward to great conversations!
In line with the previous poster, my power animal is the cow. Cows are the best! :D
Niu
Santi

Postby origami_itto on Thu Oct 06, 2016 12:02 pm

Hello, I study Yang Style Taijiquan and enjoy discussing the classics.
The form is the notes, the quan is the music
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|IG|X|
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby wusong on Tue Dec 06, 2016 8:41 am

Hello,

I've been studying martial arts for on and off for over thirty years. For the past 20+ I have been studying CMA (northern shaolin and seven star praying mantis) and ICMA starting with the Beijing 24, 42, and 32 sword form (I know it is Wu Shu, but still). Moving on to traditional Yang and Chen Taiji as well as Heibei Xing Yi, and Yin Fu Bagua which I still practice today. I have been lurking in the shadows for a while on here and really find the discussion informed and stimulating.

Less is more.
wusong
Santi

Postby Chuangzu on Mon Dec 12, 2016 6:36 am

Hello,
I started learning Lee style Tai Chi with Chee Soo at his class in Leamington Spa UK in 1982 while I was studying philosophy at the University of Warwick. I opened a club there and became a Tai Chi teacher. After Chee Soo died in 1994 I set up my own association with my partner Rachel, we now live in Cornwall.
I have trained and taught Tai Chi continuously since I was a student and also Feng Shou kung fu since 1985.
I have also studied acupuncture and Traditional Chinese Medicine which I teach as part of our syllabus.
I have stayed in contact with my teacher's wife and she gave us the copyright licence to print Chee Soo's books which we sell on the internet and on Amazon.
My main area of interest is the practical application of Taoist philosophy.
Last edited by Chuangzu on Mon Dec 12, 2016 6:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chuangzu
Santi

Postby robert on Wed Feb 15, 2017 2:52 pm

Hi I'm Robert,

I've been studying Chen style taijiquan for 17 years with Chen Xiaowang, Chen Xiaoxing, Chen Bing, and Chen Ziqiang. Prior to that I studied xingyiquan and Liang Zhenpu baguazhang for 3 years and Yang style taijiquan for 3 years before that.
The method of practicing this boxing art is nothing more than opening and closing, passive and active. The subtlety of the art is based entirely upon their alternations. Chen Xin
robert
Wuji

Postby Storm on Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:19 pm

Hello,
my name is Armand. I study Gao Baguazhang with a student of Luo Dexiu since 2014.
Besides that I train in 2 Japanese Ryu (1 weapons oriented and the other with focus on Ju Jutsu). Was primarily interested in the health aspects of the Chinese Internal Martial Arts and discovered with joy and wonder the combative aspects.
Storm
Santi

Postby Praeludium on Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:30 am

Hello,
I'm Adrien, from France !
I've practiced a little bit of Ryakbo-Vassiliev Systema during three years, unfortunately it was mostly solo work even though I still attended a few classes here and there in the excellent school my town has.
Since December 2016, I've been learning Xinyi Liuhe Quan from a very good martial artist who lives in Switzerland, even though I can't see him very often unfortunately (so it's also a lot of solo work). I'm still at the beginning stage, focusing on practising daily and adding more practice volume (and quality) step by step.
I like the pragmatic and seemingly simple nature of Xinyi Liuhe Quan (at my stage, nothing about chi or wahtever, it's all about structure, grounding, listening, relaxing, etc. ).
I hope I'll be able to practice this art in depth, and eventually become a good amateur.

I spend most of my days at the conservatory studying music (piano and composition), which is partly why I'm interested in more supple approaches, which work in depth on the body without hardening it, without making it lose sensitivity or functionality.
I'm also very interested in pure body work like Feldenkrais, and I'd like to get a training as deep as I can afford in one of these methods (for now just dicovering and working for myself).
Last edited by Praeludium on Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Praeludium
Santi

Postby Jaspalfie on Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:11 pm

Hi everyone,

Started in Jidokwan Taekwondo when young at the time when separate Taekwondo schools were being unified under WTF before for being myself in southern mantis for the last 15 years or so. I've been interested in the internal aspects of mantis and look forward to contributing to and learning from the forum here.
Jaspalfie
Santi

Postby blotter420 on Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:16 pm

Hello I am Austin i've practiced Aikido since young started Bagua recently as an early adult took some Wing-Chun lessons and recently interested in Tai-Chi anybody else do Bagua?
blotter420
Santi

Postby Fatal Rose on Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:51 am

Hello my name is Ryan, I'm currently living in china and plan on learning TaiJiQuan soon. I have a black belt in Kung fu San Soo and currently train in Shotokan Karate.

I love martial arts and am looking forward to talking with fellow CMA enthusiasts.
Talking Fists Podcast
Fatal Rose
Santi

Postby bruised on Sat Apr 08, 2017 1:28 pm

ramblings
Last edited by bruised on Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:38 am, edited 5 times in total.
bruised
Mingjing

Postby Appledog on Sun Apr 16, 2017 3:53 pm

This post is supposed to be deleted because I only keep my most recent 100 posts. An admin can delete it to save space.
Last edited by Appledog on Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Appledog
Wuji

Postby McGrath on Sat Apr 29, 2017 1:52 pm

Hello!
My name is Robert, from Ottawa, Canada. I've bounced around between non-internal forms in the past (Taekwondo, long fist, mantis) until I started training with Yang Hai in Montreal 2 years ago. I began with a focus on Heibei style Xingyi, but am now learning some Bagua.
I absolutely love it, and wish I found an internal style teacher years ago, but.. well.. Ottawa sucks for martial arts.
McGrath
Santi

Postby Stillness on Fri May 19, 2017 10:55 am

Hi

I have practiced Yang style Tai chi on and off for a few years.
In all I would say I probably practiced it for 2 years in total.
In the time I learned 13, 24, stick and sword forms. My attendance was very broken....and therefore, broken Tai chi too, I guess. :-\
Recently I started training again (Jan 2017) and after going over the forms that I've previously learned, I have moved on to Chen style, I've always wanted to learn Chen style but could never find a teacher.
I am now 90% done learning the 1st routine "Yilu" and also have now found a teacher whom I'm currently learning more from. Being in South Africa, especially Johannesburg, it's hard to find a Chen style teacher.
The reason why I practice Tai chi and not moving from it is because I enjoy learning more about the culture behind it, the philosophy , the deep rooted teachings (TAO), the health benefits, the meditation, the STILLNESS, oh and let us not forget the very real self defense aspect of it.
I would also like to learn at least 1 Bagua form. :)

I hope to learn more from everyone here and I hope that I will be able to add value to the community as well.
Stillness
Santi

Postby Stillness on Fri May 19, 2017 11:02 am

robert wrote:Hi I'm Robert,

I've been studying Chen style taijiquan for 17 years with Chen Xiaowang, Chen Xiaoxing, Chen Bing, and Chen Ziqiang. Prior to that I studied xingyiquan and Liang Zhenpu baguazhang for 3 years and Yang style taijiquan for 3 years before that.

Hi Robert

Wow, 17 years is a long time. You're probably reached a good level by now.
Stillness
Santi

PreviousNext

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan