Balancing martial arts and life

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Balancing martial arts and life

Postby Ben on Fri Jun 27, 2008 3:01 pm

I know there is a balance that can be achived between the two, I'm just having a hard time reaching it. :-\ Can anybody who has gone through this before give me some tips?
Never confuse movement with action.
-Ernest Hemingway
Ben
Great Old One

Re: Balancing martial arts and life

Postby Bhassler on Fri Jun 27, 2008 3:36 pm

A saying I like is "don't turn your training into labor."

So, to balance MA in life is just like anything else-- be present with yourself and don't force yourself to adhere to an arbitrary standard. If it is enriching your life, do it, and if not, don't. More than likely if you forget about what you "should" do and just accept that different things are important at different times, you'll enjoy yourself more and also improve faster.

Also note that there is a subtle but significant difference between saying you want to balance MA and life vs. wanting to balance MA in life. Saying "and" implies separation, whereas saying "in" implies inclusion.
What I'm after isn't flexible bodies, but flexible brains.
--Moshe Feldenkrais
Bhassler
Great Old One

Postby qiphlow on Fri Jun 27, 2008 3:51 pm

ah, the age old question: how do i reconcile my desire to practice more with the fact that my life doesn't comply with that desire?

i think that it's infinitely more important to practice something than to spend time worrying that i'm not practicing enough. most days i only get about 1 to 1.5 hours to practice. some days i only have 10 minutes. but i manage to get something done every day.

practice if you can, but don't worry if you can't . tomorrow is another day.
esoteric voodoo wizard
qiphlow
Great Old One

Postby fuga on Fri Jun 27, 2008 4:28 pm

All of the advice above is really good.

Also, recognize that there are ebbs and flows in life and sometimes you have more time for martial arts and other times you don't. But it is also important to have intention in life to pursue your dreams, make a long term plan, and find a way to squeeze in even a little time each day if you can.

Sometimes it is also good to take a short break from the martial arts (as I am being forced to this past week because of the hazardous air quality here because of fires).
fuga
Great Old One

Postby Syd on Fri Jun 27, 2008 5:39 pm

Frankly I have gone through periods in my training where I have stopped practice for months ... I try to continue employing principles in my day to day however but sometimes you get into zones where it's hard to stick with a training schedule. I found that as soon as I stepped back into my training zone from the very first Qigong session I had Qi flow almost immediately ... that's always nice to know so I don't sweat it.
Syd
Santi

Postby chud on Fri Jun 27, 2008 7:11 pm

For a long time I was practicing at night, usually after 9 pm, when my kids went to sleep. But a lot of times I would be too tired by then to motivate myself to practice.
Now at work instead of eating out I bring a sandwich and eat it at my desk, then drive to a nearby park and practice. I love it, it's an escape from work, and when I get home at the end of the day I know that I have already knocked out most of my practice; all I have left in the evenings is my chi kung. It's working out well for me. So I guess my advice is to try changing up the time of day when you do your practice; see what works best for you.
chud
Great Old One

Postby Ben on Fri Jun 27, 2008 7:26 pm

My biggest problem is that a few months ago I moved and now I don't have people to work with. I'm good about practicing on my own but without other people to work with... Its just discouraging.
-Ernest Hemingway
Ben
Great Old One

Postby Ben on Fri Jun 27, 2008 7:27 pm

chud wrote:For a long time I was practicing at night, usually after 9 pm, when my kids went to sleep. But a lot of times I would be too tired by then to motivate myself to practice.
Now at work instead of eating out I bring a sandwich and eat it at my desk, then drive to a nearby park and practice. I love it, it's an escape from work, and when I get home at the end of the day I know that I have already knocked out most of my practice; all I have left in the evenings is my chi kung. It's working out well for me. So I guess my advice is to try changing up the time of day when you do your practice; see what works best for you.

I've done the practice at lunch thing. I enjoied it. I'm out of the habit not but I would definetly like to get back to it. Good stuff!
-Ernest Hemingway
Ben
Great Old One

Postby qiphlow on Fri Jun 27, 2008 8:48 pm

Ben wrote:My biggest problem is that a few months ago I moved and now I don't have people to work with. I'm good about practicing on my own but without other people to work with... Its just discouraging.

i did this for months. sometimes our practice paths lead us there. i used that time to really work standing and forms, and it was great. most of my practice is solo, since i only get together with the fairyland fight club once a week.

practice for the sake of practice. to much regimentation makes for a lifeless practice.
Last edited by qiphlow on Fri Jun 27, 2008 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
esoteric voodoo wizard
qiphlow
Great Old One

Postby Syd on Sat Jun 28, 2008 1:12 am

I agree ... I have been largely practicing solo for the last couple of years now but there are other ways to create that second person too. I have been using a fighting dummy much like the Wing Chung type for plenty of drills - it has spring loaded arms and leg and padded body. I find I can do quite a bit for striking, timing and distance type stuff ... but obviously not push hands or San Shou et al. Solo training can be very rewarding so don't think you're on your own there.
Syd
Santi

Postby neijia_boxer on Sat Jun 28, 2008 5:17 am

My chinese doctor always had some cool sayings..."Taiji is there for you, you dont have to be there for taiji"

now that i just wrote that i see a deeper meaning than just the common meaning.
neijia_boxer

Postby Ben on Sat Jun 28, 2008 5:27 am

Thanks guys. I'll definetely be preacticing on my own here for the forseeable future. I just realizied that I have two conflicting self-images. One has taiji, the other doesn't. I'm going to have to think about this.
-Ernest Hemingway
Ben
Great Old One

Postby Bao on Sat Jun 28, 2008 1:15 pm

If Life isn't your biggest concern, you either don't take life to serious, or you live a to much comfortable life. Practice can be an important part of your life, but if you let it become an obsession, you will miss even more important things. Practice should be a natural part of your life, not a struggle.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby taoistfist on Sat Jun 28, 2008 1:36 pm

yeah it can be tough. you just have to be happy with whatever training you do get in. not worrying that you never get train enough i think.
i have a two year old and 6 week old twins and still get time to train, here an there but it never seems enough right now. our lives go in phases and this is the one i am in right now.i know it won't last forever and i try to be happy with what i get to do.
train hard, have fun, and try not to take life to seriously.
well babies a' crying ;) got to go
lando
the night is darkest just before the dawn. and i promise you the dawn is coming.
taoistfist
Anjing

Postby chud on Sat Jun 28, 2008 2:20 pm

taoistfist wrote:i have a two year old and 6 week old twins and still get time to train...

Dang, and I thought I was busy with a 5 and 7 year old... -bow-
Last edited by chud on Sat Jun 28, 2008 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chud
Great Old One

Next

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan