you will get cut - training for knife work

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

you will get cut - training for knife work

Postby yusuf on Tue May 04, 2010 10:56 am

Hi all..

This little present was from a Busse Sword.. even during training with sharp weapons you will get cut..

If you are good at knife defence and can save your body from stab wounds, the real threat is still that your hand or arm will get contacted by the blade. Imagine that sort of wound but in multiple places... just wondering how people train for that...

peace

yusuf

UPdated.. sorry the pic doesn;t link anymore??? I's still on my blog ...
Last edited by yusuf on Tue May 04, 2010 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[Seeking and not seeking are the problem...]
lol, there really isn't a problem at all
yusuf
Great Old One

Re: you will get cut - training for knife work

Postby Dmitri on Tue May 04, 2010 11:09 am

yusuf wrote:just wondering how people train for that...

I wear these -- even to the beach, just in case:

Last edited by Dmitri on Tue May 04, 2010 11:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
Dmitri
Great Old One

Postby yusuf on Tue May 04, 2010 11:13 am

Dmitri wrote:
yusuf wrote:just wondering how people train for that...

I wear these -- even to the beach, just in case:

must make it uncomfortable to bash the bishop :P
yusuf
Great Old One

Postby Dmitri on Tue May 04, 2010 11:19 am

yusuf wrote:must make it uncomfortable to bash the bishop :P

Nah, the bishop wears these, so bashing through that is no problem at all:

Sorry I wasn't trying to derail -- my point was that IMHO there is no training for that. You WILL get cut no matter what, I am yet to hear or read otherwise from anyone with any live blade experience at all. Important thing is to hopefully not get cut where it matters... You can live without a finger, but not without a liver... (But you already know that.)
Last edited by Dmitri on Tue May 04, 2010 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dmitri
Great Old One

Postby Henry on Tue May 04, 2010 11:37 am

i really like the japanse mindset ideology when encountering danger. just face it and do not worry about dying, getting cut or stabbed. if you do not worry you can be decisive and more likely this will lead to victory or escape. fear or getting cut will get you killed.

my sifu said to me quite often when doing knife or stick work, do not focus on the blade or stick otherwise you will get cut or hit, focus or incapacitating or destroying the man or limb wielding it.
Henry
Anjing

Postby Michael Babin on Tue May 04, 2010 11:37 am

Selling the pipe-dreams of easy unarmed self-defense in bad kung fu and taiji classes pales beside the pipe-dreams I often see in knife-fighting Youtube offerings and instuctional dvds. Training with knives in a martial arts class is often worse than no training at all.

Based on my limited experience, whether you have a knife or not, you have almost no time in which to react in an attack on the street , you'll probably get cut and you have to be prepared to maim or use lethal force [unless you're a police officer in which case you really are handicapped by the requirements of your profession].

As to bashing "bishops" as well as derailing threads...
from a 1943 edition of a British book called [if I remember correctly} Dirty Limericks:

"There was a young vicar in Bath
In the seat of the Bishop he sat.
While thinking of Venus,
he pulled at his penis,
and caught all the drops in his hat."
My Website [with a link to my Youtube Channel] https://sites.google.com/view/mbtaiji/home
Michael Babin
Wuji

Postby yusuf on Tue May 04, 2010 11:41 am

agreed.. but on the training I know that some silat guys train with live blades and try to cut each others arms, just to get used to the feeling. SU Dong CHen is reported to have taken a knife from a student, cut his own arm, just to demonstrate what mindset is needed (from Alex Kozma's Esoteric Warriors) .. hoping people who have trained this sort of thing will pitch in..
yusuf
Great Old One

Postby Sprint on Tue May 04, 2010 12:00 pm

Hi Yusuf

Butchers and meat processors get chain mail gloves - I'm not sure how good they are, but you have got to think of that as being absolute minimum for going anywhere near someone with a knife. People just don't understand how lethal knives are - it only takes one slight touch in the right place and in a matter of seconds you are dead. I don't want to read your obituary on this forum, but every time you talk about knives I think to myself that it is only a matter of time.
Sprint
Wuji

Postby D_Glenn on Tue May 04, 2010 12:06 pm

Just get the Sonny Chiba wrist guards, then watch Street Fighter so you know how to use them:

One part moves, every part moves; One part stops, every part stops.

YSB Internal Chinese Martial Arts Youtube
D_Glenn
Great Old One

Postby qiphlow on Tue May 04, 2010 12:14 pm

just read thru your blog. i think it's a good thing that you're trying to figure this stuff out. and that cut looks like it hurt a little...
esoteric voodoo wizard
qiphlow
Great Old One

Postby Areios on Tue May 04, 2010 12:24 pm

can't see the picture :(
Areios
Wuji

Postby Daniel on Tue May 04, 2010 12:25 pm

yusuf wrote:agreed.. but on the training I know that some silat guys train with live blades and try to cut each others arms, just to get used to the feeling. SU Dong CHen is reported to have taken a knife from a student, cut his own arm, just to demonstrate what mindset is needed (from Alex Kozma's Esoteric Warriors) .. hoping people who have trained this sort of thing will pitch in..

Yes, you can do this. And Su´s attitude is the right thing. It´s of course something that would be suggested only if you really have reason to practice this way.

D.

Sarcasm. Oh yeah, like that´ll work.
Daniel
Great Old One

Postby yusuf on Tue May 04, 2010 12:30 pm

Sprint wrote:Hi Yusuf

Butchers and meat processors get chain mail gloves - I'm not sure how good they are, but you have got to think of that as being absolute minimum for going anywhere near someone with a knife. People just don't understand how lethal knives are - it only takes one slight touch in the right place and in a matter of seconds you are dead. I don't want to read your obituary on this forum, but every time you talk about knives I think to myself that it is only a matter of time.

SPrint,

my first reaction when faced with a knife is always to distract and run like hell... second is the same.. third the same.. way down the list i start to consider defence.. which is what we talk about there.. chain mail gloves is a great idea and i will see how to get them and use them...

also I am really interested in why you think i will end up dead because of what i say.. i want to improve so would be very grateful if you could elaborate. This is not piss taking. I really want to learn.

thanks

yusuf
yusuf
Great Old One

Postby D_Glenn on Tue May 04, 2010 12:42 pm

Yusuf, seen this?

"— For Tagsa ka Kamut na lihok/ one hand drill, target or stab the upper quadrants of the torso, the heart on the left and the upper lung on the right. The feeder is also training himself on how to handle the knife, so make the stabs motion in small movements so as not to telegraph your stab and to make it difficult to disarm the blade handler. Position also the feeder's empty hand in front always, this is to prepare the empty hand to be active and ready to react."

Last edited by D_Glenn on Tue May 04, 2010 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
One part moves, every part moves; One part stops, every part stops.

YSB Internal Chinese Martial Arts Youtube
D_Glenn
Great Old One

Postby yusuf on Tue May 04, 2010 12:51 pm

hey dude..

yup.. it's very interesting and one can see that they are going slower, together with not really targeting just because it is a live blade... i saw a clip of these guys with a wooden knife and it was awesome, really going for the stabs etc..

but without getting a stupid amount of cuts, i just don;t see how you can marry the two???

peace

yusuf
Last edited by yusuf on Tue May 04, 2010 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
yusuf
Great Old One

Next

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan