you will get cut - training for knife work

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: you will get cut - training for knife work

Postby Daniel on Mon May 10, 2010 2:24 pm

Andy_S wrote:Daniel:

I am saying one can be slashed and still function without debilitating pain or loss of blood.

Did I suggest otherwise in my post?

The point we were discussing was that getting slashed in a situation where someone is violent or homicidal towards you might shock someone, thus risking freezing up and more severe injury than if previously prepared for the situation. I think that is a reasonable idea. The suggestion that this situation can be equalled to a chef cutting him or herself in the line of their work beggars belief.

D.

Sarcasm. Oh yeah, like that´ll work.
Daniel
Great Old One

Postby Andy_S on Mon May 10, 2010 9:25 pm

SNIP
The suggestion that this situation can be equalled to a chef cutting him or herself in the line of their work beggars belief.
SNIP

A violent attack is a shocking experience, no question. However, it is not an uncommon one in some parts of the country, indicating that those who frequent such areas have the situation in the back of their mind as they know it can happen. . A chef cutting himself with a knife can also be a shocking experience (particulary as chef's knives are large and very sharp), but again, chefs accept that accidents happen. In both cases, people can and do go into shock, but in both cases, they do not necessarily go into shock and can continue to function. I don't believe this beggars belief.

Not sure how relevent this is, but the most dangerous situations I have been in have been (1) trapped in an updown canoe as a child (b) covering massive massive riots in South Korea and (c) being caught in a coup in the Philippines. In the first situation I panicked and nearly died. In the two latter situations I found I was extremely calm.

Tesshu:

Interested to hear of your family's experiences. Russia was the largest, and perhaps most savage and intense area of operations in recent world history. Still, I'm suprised to hear that bayonets (or trench knives and shovels, for that matter, which soldiers certainly trained to use) were frequently, rather than exceptionally, used.
Services available:
Pies scoffed. Ales quaffed. Beds shat. Oiks irked. Chavs chinned. Thugs thumped. Sacks split. Arses goosed. Udders ogled. Canines consumed. Sheep shagged.Matrons outraged. Vicars enlightened. PM for rates.
Andy_S
Great Old One

Postby gzregorz on Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:33 am

I just wanted to give a shout out to Rob and say that his Knife Defense DVD is awesome, which is word I rarely use.

The DVD is loaded with information, exercises and techniques for dealing being attacked with a knife.

I particularly found the part about dealing the fear of a knife to be ground breaking. I have dealt with some basic knife defense in the past in traditional jujitsu classes but no one ever touched upon this subject.

If someone pulls out a knife on someone when they aren’t expecting it most likely people are going to freeze after all this is what people are told to do in robbery situations and although sometimes it might be a good choice it would be better if that choice wasn’t an involuntary choice.

I can remember when I was in the Caribbean and I was high in the mountains and a group of men approached me with machetes. Of course they had no interest in me those are just the tools they work with but the sight on someone walking towards me with a machete felt much more threatening than someone with a gun. Had they threatened me I'm sure there was nothing I could or would have done.

The DVD also deals with the different types of attacks you might run into depending on how the knife is being held and also including how to deal with situations where you can’t see the knife.

I think for those who do CMA they might also find it interesting because I although I also dabble in boxing I still see a lot of value in the parrying and punching the Chinese way in which you don’t allow someone to touch you, yet covering up is also an important skill to but if covering up is your only defense then it would a lot easier to get stabbed because nothing is preventing the knife from getting to you.

There is even an exercise he does that is similar to push hands that it involves being ready for someone being very close to you who is pulling out a knife and you try to stop them by being sensitive to their movements.

Of course there is plenty more as well but I don't want to give everything away, you'll have to see it for yourself.

Good stuff all around.

Thanks Rob & Good times,

Greg
Last edited by gzregorz on Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:53 am, edited 4 times in total.
"There is more wisdom in your body than in your deepest philosophy." - Friedrich Nietzsche
gzregorz
Wuji

Postby Martin on Sat Jun 12, 2010 8:16 am

Hey, someone pulled a knife on me in a car park in France last week. Wasn't particularly worried and spoke to him for a bit, but when clear he wasn't about to calm down any time soon I edged back into the car and shut the door till he fucked off :-)
Martin
Great Old One

Postby eddie mush on Sat Jun 12, 2010 1:03 pm

Glad you're okay Martin!
Martin Lund Rasmussen

In case you are unfamiliar with Eddie Mush, he was the character in the movie "A Bronx Tale" who was a total jinx. He had a perfect track record of losing every bet he ever placed as well as jinxing everyone around him.
eddie mush
Anjing

Postby RobP2 on Mon Jun 14, 2010 12:53 am

Hey thanks for the review Greg, glad you liked the DVD!

Martin sounds like you did exactyl the right thing - and you could have always run him over with the car :-)
"If your life seems dull and boring - it is" - Derek & Clive
http://www.systemauk.com/
RobP2
Great Old One

Postby yusuf on Thu Jun 17, 2010 1:09 pm

yes, run them over, well said Rob.. I will be relaying information of Martin's pacificst ways to Mr Chainsaw Qian . I expect he will enforce 10,000 Smashiing tombstones every day till the ghey departs.

btw, I was last week refused entry into a shopping mall in Amman Jordan, because i had a small spyderco pocket knife. (They have metal / bomb detectors everywhere). Ironically the greeter was wearing full Bedouin costume replete with a Jambiya dagger.
Last edited by yusuf on Thu Jun 17, 2010 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[Seeking and not seeking are the problem...]
lol, there really isn't a problem at all
yusuf
Great Old One

Postby yusuf on Fri Jun 18, 2010 4:05 am

Tom wrote:
Martin wrote:Hey, someone pulled a knife on me in a car park in France last week. Wasn't particularly worried and spoke to him for a bit, but when clear he wasn't about to calm down any time soon I edged back into the car and shut the door till he fucked off :-)

Well Martin you were with his wife after all.

8-)

It wasn;t the pimp's wife :P
[Seeking and not seeking are the problem...]
lol, there really isn't a problem at all
yusuf
Great Old One

Postby Martin on Fri Jun 18, 2010 1:55 pm

Tom wrote:
Martin wrote:Hey, someone pulled a knife on me in a car park in France last week. Wasn't particularly worried and spoke to him for a bit, but when clear he wasn't about to calm down any time soon I edged back into the car and shut the door till he fucked off :-)

Well Martin you were with his wife after all.

So?

;D

8-)
Martin
Great Old One

Postby Martin on Fri Jun 18, 2010 2:27 pm

yusuf wrote:yes, run them over, well said Rob.. I will be relaying information of Martin's pacificst ways to Mr Chainsaw Qian . I expect he will enforce 10,000 Smashiing tombstones every day till the ghey departs.

btw, I was last week refused entry into a shopping mall in Amman Jordan, because i had a small spyderco pocket knife. (They have metal / bomb detectors everywhere). Ironically the greeter was wearing full Bedouin costume replete with a Jambiya dagger.

Heabutt headbutt headbutt
heh
timmae
Martin
Great Old One

Postby gzregorz on Fri Jun 18, 2010 7:37 pm

In France?

What did you do?

Steal his cheese?
"There is more wisdom in your body than in your deepest philosophy." - Friedrich Nietzsche
gzregorz
Wuji

Previous

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan