San Ti Shi????

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

San Ti Shi????

Postby I-mon on Thu May 06, 2010 4:14 am

What does it (the name) mean? why is it called this?
I-mon
Great Old One

Re: San Ti Shi????

Postby GrahamB on Thu May 06, 2010 4:33 am

Three bodies posture.

As for why? Count the 3s man..... it's all about the triangles....

One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby middleway on Thu May 06, 2010 4:58 am

As above.

nice Pic by the way! :D Tensegrity discribes that triangulation stuff pretty nicely.

“Dao generates One, One generates Two, Two generates Three and Three generates all the things of the world.”

So there are lots of 3s associated with this posture, some just to fit the Daoist thinking ... some very useful for training and combat.

3 = three body sectors (hands/arms, Body/torso, Root/legs)
3 = 3 links between the harmonies (hand - foot, elbow-knee, shoulder-hip)
3 = 3 concepts (Heaven, earth, man)
3 = 3 Bows
3 = Triangulation of and between body sectors and harmonies. So tip of hand/elbow/shoulder as a triangle for instance ... or foot/knee/hip.

Cheers
Chris
"I am not servant to the method, the method is servant to me"
Me

My Blog: http://www.martialbody.com/Blog-Research
middleway
Wuji

Postby DeusTrismegistus on Fri May 07, 2010 8:55 am

I always heard it called trinity stance. For the reason that it trains the three harmonies, both the 3 internal and 3 external.
I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a

bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle. -- Winston Churchill
DeusTrismegistus
Wuji

Postby somatai on Fri May 07, 2010 9:10 am

it integrates , clarifies and develops the 3 primary energies of the body as well as the three primary anatomical sections.
somatai

Postby Bao on Sat May 08, 2010 3:05 am

I agree with the triangle. "Ti" means "body" in the sense that everything physical has a body. A chair has a "body". Three+body means to structure your body into threes - or triangular pattern.

"qi" and "jing" and also "heaven", "man", earth" are concepts that have many different interpretations depending on who use it, how and why. Therefore I believe that the name originally only refers to the physical structure.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby I-mon on Sat May 08, 2010 4:14 am

somatai wrote:it integrates , clarifies and develops the 3 primary energies of the body as well as the three primary anatomical sections.

now perhaps you meant jing-qi-shen, but until I read Bao's post I thought you meant extension, contraction, and twisting...which I thought was nice as that's a lot like how my Santi feels at the moment.
I-mon
Great Old One

Postby NoSword on Sat May 08, 2010 5:25 am

Morihei Ueshiba:

"The body should be triangular, the mind circular. The triangle represents the generation of energy and is the most stable physical posture. The circle symbolizes serenity and perfection, the source of unlimited techniques. The square stands for solidity, the basis of applied control."
Your identity is the enemy
NoSword
Wuji

Postby Bao on Sat May 08, 2010 6:19 am

NoSword wrote:Morihei Ueshiba:

"The body should be triangular, the mind circular. The triangle represents the generation of energy and is the most stable physical posture. The circle symbolizes serenity and perfection, the source of unlimited techniques. The square stands for solidity, the basis of applied control."

Damn, you don't need to make philosophy out of it. :D

According to science, the triangle is the strongest structure in the universe. Just look at the pyramids how long they have been standing there. 8-)
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby somatai on Sat May 08, 2010 6:26 am

what is wrong with philosophy?

Imon, you are on to what I am pointing at,at the manifest level, I also included one level more subtle in terms of energy of manifestation or the "trinity energies"....it is not jing, chi, shen or heaven man earth, although, both those concepts also represent the power of the trinity, the reason it is called the trinity posture is philosophical, all things spring from 3 and if one understands the three basic energies, all things become possible.
Last edited by somatai on Sat May 08, 2010 6:28 am, edited 2 times in total.
somatai

Postby I-mon on Sat May 08, 2010 7:06 am

I read somewhere recently, possibly in a thread here, that the term "San Ti" come from one particular daoist or maybe chinese buddhist text? but I don't remember the thread (if it was here) or the name of the text, or the context or what the actual term means in that particular sentence or verse or whatever.

Anyone? Josh?
I-mon
Great Old One

Postby somatai on Sat May 08, 2010 7:18 am

the trinity is universal and is the wisdom of numbers in all cultures
somatai

Postby Doc Stier on Sat May 08, 2010 12:27 pm

NoSword wrote:Morihei Ueshiba:

Image Image
"First in the Mind and then in the Body."
Doc Stier
Great Old One

Postby Tesshu on Sat May 08, 2010 1:51 pm

The guy I take my nickname from was a samurai who pointed out that a focussed mind is most important (next to other "most important things" ;) ) He did a lot of calligraphy and once draw a picture about this. It was a person standing in a triangle. The base of the triangle being the vertical line from head (one corner) to the ground/feet (second corner) and the third point being the thing you focus at, your person (mind and ki) flowing towards that point.

Interestingly my teacher in TCC teaches to do the same in one of our stances. The triangle is not just inside yourself. Hence the clear direction of the usual San Ti Shi.
4th law of Newton: To every male action there is a female overreaction.
Tesshu
Great Old One

Postby everything on Sat May 08, 2010 1:55 pm

amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Next

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan