Excellent new martial art blog

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Excellent new martial art blog

Postby GrahamB on Wed May 26, 2010 9:41 am

http://bunkaijutsu.com/

And I'm not just saying that because he published my article ;D I like the spirit of what he's up to. Have a look!
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Re: Excellent new martial art blog

Postby charliedw on Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:58 pm

As owner of the "excellent new martial art blog", I would like to thank Graham for his kind words above, it is always nice to be appreciated.

Basically, what we are trying to do is to create an on-line community of people who are interested in learning and sharing practical applications to traditional martial arts using articles and videos (via YouTube). Many of our movements in forms/patterns/katas are a bit obscure, yet when you delve into them, they have very practical applications. We aim to build up a large database of practical applications which people of any style can access for free. As Karate is largely based on Kung Fu, and Tae Kwon Do is largely based on Karate; there is a lot of overlap from these arts, so we can learn from each other.

My main style is Shotokan Karate, though I now do Yang Style Tai Chi too. I work with my friend Keith who does Wing Chun, Choi Lee Fut and has also done some Shaolin and Tai Chi in the past. Although we do not train in each others style, we cross reference quite a lot and find a lot of common applications. When we have found a application in one of our forms/katas, we can usually find a corresponding movement in the other ones forms/katas.

I would like to invite anybody interested in this aspect of martials to submit their own applications. In return, I will happily put in a link back to their website (club/association/whatever).
The only rules are:
* No blatant advertising. Useful content only in a “teaching format” that others can learn from (rather than just a demo where people may not be able to see what just happened).
* Submissions must be realistic and be able to work under pressure.
* No disrespect to other styles or one-up-manship (keep it friendly and we all move forward together).

I know that this is only one aspect of martial arts and there are many other equally important aspects like health and self development. However, that makes the whole subject a bit too broad to cover and very dificult to teach properly on a blog. So this blog is only focussing on one aspect whilst still respecting the importance of the other aspects not covered.

Best regards (and hope to hear from some of you soon)

Charlie
http://www.BunkaiJutsu.com
charliedw
Santi

Postby willywrong on Fri Jun 11, 2010 6:28 pm

GrahamB wrote:http://bunkaijutsu.com/

And I'm not just saying that because he published my article ;D I like the spirit of what he's up to. Have a look!

Nice to see that someone else understands that an arm in usage is really only yang when its greater than 90 degrees and should be used in a yin manner when less than 90 degrees. Nice demo except its a lot safer to work to the opponents outside than directly up his center as demonstrated. Theres a tendency to be hit by his free arm. The back power only really works when one can differentiate between substantial and insubstantial in the arms as in this case. As one arm changes to yin after usage and the other arm become yang (perfect balance between the arms, no double weightiness in the arms). This of course can only occur when the force arises naturally from the ground into the legs, waist, directed thru the back and manifests thru the arms as in in your demo. Well presented Willy 8-)
Last edited by willywrong on Fri Jun 11, 2010 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
willywrong

Postby GrahamB on Sat Jun 12, 2010 1:28 am

Nice to see you here Charlie, and thank you for the nice comments Willy. Since you are the foremost exponent of "no bullshit" Tai Chi here it's deeply appreciated ;D

I'm planning to do another video on Monday to address issues the video raised, but yes, I agree - doing it on the outside of the arm is safer, just not as camera-friendly the way we had it set up.

The yin/yang thing we also address, but mainly in our Tai Chi - it then naturally filters down into our Choy Lee Fut too (and then pretty much everything else ;D) Separating empty and solid ( or 'not being double weighted') is such a useful thing martially that it seems a shame to reserve it only for Tai Chi ;)

Anyway - well spotted, you have a good eye.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby willywrong on Sat Jun 12, 2010 6:42 pm

GrahamB wrote:Nice to see you here Charlie, and thank you for the nice comments Willy. Since you are the foremost exponent of "no bullshit" Tai Chi here it's deeply appreciated ;D

I'm planning to do another video on Monday to address issues the video raised, but yes, I agree - doing it on the outside of the arm is safer, just not as camera-friendly the way we had it set up.

The yin/yang thing we also address, but mainly in our Tai Chi - it then naturally filters down into our Choy Lee Fut too (and then pretty much everything else ;D) Separating empty and solid ( or 'not being double weighted') is such a useful thing martially that it seems a shame to reserve it only for Tai Chi ;)

Anyway - well spotted, you have a good eye.

Just because one trains to stay safe by going to the outside where possible doesn't mean one can't come up the center when its call for. Tai Chi is not the only art that cultivates separation of yin and yang (perception of that is) From my earliest training Sifu Chui was and still is fond of saying "The hard becomes soft and the soft becomes hard" but I'm sure your heard that before.
Heres the link to your article for those that haven't viewed it yet. http://bunkaijutsu.com/?p=231 :)
willywrong

Postby charliedw on Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:40 am

[quote="willywrongFrom my earliest training Sifu Chui was and still is fond of saying "The hard becomes soft and the soft becomes hard" but I'm sure your heard that before.
Heres the link to your article for those that haven't viewed it yet. http://bunkaijutsu.com/?p=231 :)[/quote]

Hi Willy :)

Gichin Funikoshi, who introduced Karate from Okinawa to Japan said very much the same thing. Its good to know that those in Chinese arts (especially internal) feel the same way.

Regards

Charlie
charliedw
Santi

Postby willywrong on Sun Jun 13, 2010 6:00 pm

charliedw wrote:[quote="willywrongFrom my earliest training Sifu Chui was and still is fond of saying "The hard becomes soft and the soft becomes hard" but I'm sure your heard that before.
Heres the link to your article for those that haven't viewed it yet. http://bunkaijutsu.com/?p=231 :)

Hi Willy :)

Gichin Funikoshi, who introduced Karate from Okinawa to Japan said very much the same thing. Its good to know that those in Chinese arts (especially internal) feel the same way.

Regards

Charlie[/quote]
Hi Charlie,
All the real martial arts how ever categorized are equal and all lead to the same place by different paths.
In Spirit
Willy :)
willywrong

Postby Andy_S on Sun Jun 13, 2010 7:01 pm

SNIP
From my earliest training Sifu Chui was and still is fond of saying "The hard becomes soft and the soft becomes hard"
SNIP

I can only imagine the scene:
Sifu Chui: "Willy you are soft, but soon - soon! - you will become hard..."
Willy: "Why Sifu, what are you doing? Not stealing my peach, I trust...?"
Services available:
Pies scoffed. Ales quaffed. Beds shat. Oiks irked. Chavs chinned. Thugs thumped. Sacks split. Arses goosed. Udders ogled. Canines consumed. Sheep shagged.Matrons outraged. Vicars enlightened. PM for rates.
Andy_S
Great Old One

Postby charliedw on Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:33 am

willywrong wrote:Hi Charlie,
All the real martial arts how ever categorized are equal and all lead to the same place by different paths.
In Spirit
Willy :)

Amen to that :)
charliedw
Santi

Postby GrahamB on Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:10 pm

The bunkaijutsu blog seems to be down!

Anyway, here's my Sao Choy part 2 - response to comments from RSF!

The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby charliedw on Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:58 am

Hi Graham
Thank for follow up video. BunkaiJutsu blog is up and running. Don't know what happened when you tried, it must have been a temporary glitch.

Thanks

Charlie
www.BunkaiJutsu.com
charliedw
Santi

Postby GrahamB on Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:05 am

Weird - it was down for a lot of yesterday (and this morning), but as you say, it works now.

Cheers,
G
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan