practitioner finding help

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

practitioner finding help

Postby nexus01 on Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:38 pm

well... im quite new here, and in fact a newbie to forums and topics everywhere. I have quite the difficulty in finding an actual, and legitimate, practitioner within my vicinity of downtown los angeles. i cant really subsidize myself in any actual lessons, for it is that im not exactly financially fit and am in a bit of a rough patch right now. many who do reside with the authentic, traditional, arts, aren't very much in my area, but within the farther counties, and in observing and erratically finding anyone within my radius, it only seem to be one. I have some curiosity, in which to find many who are true to their words, and their art, without much of the skepticism or their "mcdojo"ing,.. well... id say thats an overused term and in fact any school can be quite dubious and it doesn't have to lie in from the very blatant attributes of a mcdojo, but for a example they may be excellent in their regimen, but want a pretty penny to do so, and possibly other more tenebrous factors.

it is that if i truly want to learn, it must be with someone where billboards and ads don't apply. and i've read, searched, and vaguely have heard, that many whose specialty is that of a TCM practitioner, might likely treat or know others who practice in the arts, or maybe it might be of the actual TCM practitioner. As much as i know, if they have credentials in using herbs, all the while being acupuncturists as well, there are many of those specific businesses within the LA chinatown. although to be honest, its not quite what it used to be, but it may be surprising in what i find.

now back to the one person in my feasible vicinity, ive read of sudan jeffers and his practice in xinyidao, an amalgamated art that utilizes baguazhang, xingyiquan, and i think sun style taiji, i cant recall the sub-styles for the first two, but ill look it up immediately. might anybody tell me about this person?, the art?, personal experiences with the art and/or the person? insight?. Any information upon this and the previous matter would be greatly appreciated

if any clarification is needed upon my question, just tell me.
Im hoping i won't be too overly berated on my question, seeing as its certainly my first time on a general martial arts forum.
Last edited by nexus01 on Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
nexus01
Santi

Re: practitioner finding help

Postby nexus01 on Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:01 pm

much thanks, and as i have said im still very new to all of this,well i fell huge burdened load is now off my shoulders, and maybe i can be more concise and direct in my questions from now on in order to get some many detailed responses. Might their possibility of contacting Mr. Jeffers in anyway shape or form, maybe he can discuss with me a bit on my desicions,offer advice, anyway i can talk with him would be excellent, if possible. one more id lke to ask, and this might be real obtuse when i ask that im 18 on the verge of going to 19, and might i be a bit late in acquiring great skill, possibly a virtuoso in the arts?
nexus01
Santi

Postby Chris McKinley on Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:26 pm

nexus,

I realize it's your first time on the forum, but you write in a very affected and somewhat stiff manner, especially for someone 18 years old. You'll find we're a fairly casual bunch and while you can stretch your technical vocabulary on the occasional thread, we really don't stand on ceremony when addressing each other directly.

Also, your final question about being "a bit late in acquiring great skill, possibly a virtuoso in the arts?" is both not a concern and premature in the absolute extreme. "Virtuoso" is not a term used to describe skilled martial artists, per se, but if you desire to get to that kind of level, you'll find there's nothing standing between you and it but a helluva lot of very hard work. For you, right here and right now, it's simply a matter of getting started. Concern yourself first with being a very good beginner and the rest will come as you put the time in.
Chris McKinley

Postby Dmitri on Thu Jun 03, 2010 6:12 am

Sudan is a great guy, passionate about his training and works very hard at it.
Just don't get on his bad side... ;D (j/k)

Good luck with your search/training.
Dmitri
Great Old One

Postby nexus01 on Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:54 pm

well,Mr.Jeffers is held in high regards, and im glad that i do have someone to turn to now and feel this to be a great opportunity to learn from him in anyway possible, that being said, i still have a financial snag and with any free insight or perhaps any training he may give me would be excellent, and im hoping that in the not too distant future i can actually join with him.
Im still pondering over the task at maybe somehow conversing with a TCM practitioner. might anybody help giving me any advice on this. if possible, im hoping they see my sincerity. is there anyway anybody can help me on this matter. how i do i approach them? what must i say? what can i do to show them that im being honest and sincere in my intentions? etc., i might have more to ask on this subject a bit later. Just simply want to know if anybody can help me on this as well. This might be some risky business, but well i think of it to be worth a shot, give it the ol' gentleman's try.
nexus01
Santi

Postby Dmitri on Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:03 pm

nexus01 wrote:if possible, im hoping they see my sincerity. [...] what can i do to show them that im being honest and sincere in my intentions? [...] This might be some risky business, ...

Huh? :-/
Dmitri
Great Old One

Postby Chris McKinley on Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:21 pm

nexus,

Dial back on the melodramatic pip-pip cheerio language, man. This ain't a movie where if you don't approach with exactly the right diplomatic demeanor, the Tong's gonna take you out back and shoot you. Just find a TCM practitioner, walk in and politely ask if he/she offers public services and tell them you're interested. These guys don't practice in mist-shrouded secret enclaves or whatnot. They're businessmen. Go in and offer your business.
Chris McKinley

Postby nexus01 on Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:27 pm

im saying that although this might be too risky or foolish to ask a TCM practitioner, id like to take a chance and see if if they may know anybody, could be a personal friend, a frequent customer, or he/she might refer themselves (if their that nice enough to offer). but i feel i should approach them in certain way that truly shows to them that im being sincere and genuine in what i ask, and not some pompous jerk that might that let him/her think im saying "hey chinaman where the kung fu at" or "hey!, u know where all the fighters at?". I just want to know what should i do? what must i say? how should i approach them?etc.
Last edited by nexus01 on Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nexus01
Santi

Postby kshurika on Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:47 pm

Nexus:

If you're looking for advice from someone knowledgeable in the martial arts and you don't want to lay out a lot of dough (because you don't have any), you might consider driving down the 405 freeway to Fountain Valley on any given Saturday. Tim Cartmell has an open mat at Ace Jiu-jitsu from 3 to 6. He's a very approachable guy and he'd be happy to talk to you while he works with those of his people who show up. The whole experience might be instructive for you. Tim lived in China for many years and has deep knowledge of Shanxi and Hebei xingyi, Gao and Cheng bagua, numerous styles of taiji (including the Hulei branch of Zhaobao, and you're not going to find many of those people around) and BJJ. He knows other stuff, too, but my fingers are getting tired. Tim's got lots of books out, too and they're very well-regarded. Look him up on Amazon.

Good luck.
kshurika
Wuji

Postby Chris McKinley on Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:53 pm

What the heck would be risky or foolish about asking a TCM guy if he knows anybody that teaches IMA locally? Let me save you some time and tell you that there's nothing you can say which will convince them you're sincere.....that will come when they see you showing up and working hard month after month. They'll either put you in contact with a guy or they won't. Basic courtesy and respect are all you've got to work with on that note.

Good grief, man.....you sound like someone who can't wait to abdicate your own thinking, dignity and self-respect to the first teacher that comes across like he just walked out of a kung fu movie. I'm picturing you prostrating yourself in front of some IMA teacher chanting, "I'm not worthy!" repeatedly like Wayne and Garth to Alice Cooper. Stop dramatizing the whole thing and just go ask already.
Chris McKinley

Postby kshurika on Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:20 pm

Having a bad day, Chris?
kshurika
Wuji

Postby Chris McKinley on Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:43 pm

Nah, just giving enough rope to someone who can either use it to dig himself out of the melodramatic hole he's digging or out himself as a troll. Either way, I've got my beer with me so I'm good.
Chris McKinley

Postby kshurika on Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:44 pm

Having beer is good. It's a good day.
kshurika
Wuji

Postby D_Glenn on Thu Jun 03, 2010 3:07 pm

nexus01 wrote:im saying that although this might be too risky or foolish to ask a TCM practitioner, id like to take a chance and see if if they may know anybody, could be a personal friend, a frequent customer, or he/she might refer themselves (if their that nice enough to offer). but i feel i should approach them in certain way that truly shows to them that im being sincere and genuine in what i ask, and not some pompous jerk that might that let him/her think im saying "hey chinaman where the kung fu at" or "hey!, u know where all the fighters at?". I just want to know what should i do? what must i say? how should i approach them?etc.

When I was living in Costa Mesa I looked in the phone book and found a Chinese TCM doctor and got a treatment from her. I told her what I did and she brought up another patient of hers, she gave him my phone number and about a week later he called and turned out he was privately teaching Xingyiquan and he'd also studied Bagua in Beijing. It worked out great and I would have never found him any other way.

One part moves, every part moves; One part stops, every part stops.

YSB Internal Chinese Martial Arts Youtube
D_Glenn
Great Old One

Postby kshurika on Thu Jun 03, 2010 3:23 pm

D_Glenn:

Could you possibly PM me his/her contact info? I have a teacher, but, I'm always interested in an IMA teacher/practitioner in my neck of the woods. I live in Laguna Beach.
kshurika
Wuji

Next

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan