what is a good testing ground?

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

what is a good testing ground?

Postby Dabbler on Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:35 pm

I thought rather than hijack the "fighting with fighting" thread this would be the logical next topic. What is a good arena/venue to test out some IMA. I'd really like to try out some cloud hands on an uncooperative opponent or see if all this bagua stuff can kick some ass. Is a san shou tournament the best option? All you guys that are saying yes you need to "fight" as part of studying and learning martial arts what do you do?
Dabbler
Anjing

Re: what is a good testing ground?

Postby Ian on Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:59 pm

depends what you want to do.

if you want to train self defense, best get yourself to an rbsd school or a *serious* systema school or combatives school or whatever. basically somewhere where you can go at near full intensity in a relatively safe manner with multiple attackers and weapons.

if you want to train one on one fighting, there are tons of options. kudo, sanda, muay thai, grappling tournaments etc etc. the best *testing environment* is mma (relax guys...), no two ways about it. but imo it's more important just to get started somewhere and increase the intensity as you get more comfortable.
Ian

Postby Simon on Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:11 pm

MMA is a great bebefit for anyone wanting to gain fighting skill we are lucky there is an arena a test lab to work it all out. For those who say i train for real fighting life or death then surly you are used to dealing with immmese pressure and adrenaline mma should then be easier as you will be less stressed than your normal training givin you more opportunity to experiment.

The recent threads have been a refreshing change lets not forget these are fighting arts first and foremost regardless of personal motivation for taking part.

Simon
Simon
Wuji

Postby everything on Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:32 pm

Judo
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby JAB on Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:11 am

Any competition is better then nothing. Depends on the level of risk, and ruleset. If you are not interested in getting hit, grapple. I am not a fan of getting hit much anymore so I mostly do grappling tournaments. But anything is good brother. Get in and mix it up, you will have fun and learn more about yourself then months in the dojo!

Cheers
JAB
JAB

Postby DeusTrismegistus on Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:34 am

JAB wrote:Any competition is better then nothing. Depends on the level of risk, and ruleset. If you are not interested in getting hit, grapple. I am not a fan of getting hit much anymore so I mostly do grappling tournaments. But anything is good brother. Get in and mix it up, you will have fun and learn more about yourself then months in the dojo!

Cheers
JAB

QFT

I Don't like big gloves and I think they take away a lot of what is trained in CMA. You may want to start with a continuous light contact style tourny. Shuai Jiao or Judo to test your throwing and grappling, leitai or san shou if you want to go full contact and MMA once you feel ready.
I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a

bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle. -- Winston Churchill
DeusTrismegistus
Wuji

Postby Tesshu on Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:45 am

Well, go to another MA school and explain yourself: You do [insert your MA here] and you want to try out your skills. Usually you will find someone to help you. Practicing my TCC I train with Karate, Tang Lang and Judo guys quite often. This is good "testing ground". No need to enter a tournament. Just find yourself some friends ;D
4th law of Newton: To every male action there is a female overreaction.
Tesshu
Great Old One

Postby Chris McKinley on Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:48 am

JAB wrote:Any competition is better then nothing. Depends on the level of risk, and ruleset. If you are not interested in getting hit, grapple. I am not a fan of getting hit much anymore so I mostly do grappling tournaments. But anything is good brother. Get in and mix it up, you will have fun and learn more about yourself then months in the dojo!

Cheers
JAB

+1

You'll not only learn how effective your cloud hands really are....you'll also learn what's glaringly missing from your repertoire tactically. I learned more from rolling with Frank Trigg for the six minutes it took for him to sub me than in much of the rest of my 34 years of martial arts training.
Chris McKinley

Postby Bill on Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:58 am

Hang out in dive bars while dressed like a typical nerd.
It hurts when I Pi
Bill
Great Old One

Postby Bhassler on Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:16 am

Bill wrote:Hang out in dive bars while dressed like a typical nerd.

A friend of mine used to go to biker bars dressed in ballet tights and a tutu along with his teacher expressly for the purpose of starting fights. His teacher (a sadistic SOB, from all I've heard) would jump up on a table and shout out instructions as he was fighting. There are a lot of things very wrong with that, but it's a pretty funny image.
What I'm after isn't flexible bodies, but flexible brains.
--Moshe Feldenkrais
Bhassler
Great Old One

Postby Tesshu on Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:33 am

JAB wrote:. I learned more from rolling with Frank Trigg for the six minutes it took for him to sub me than in much of the rest of my 34 years of martial arts training.

This only says something about your shitty training. Sorry, couldn't resist.
Last edited by Tesshu on Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
4th law of Newton: To every male action there is a female overreaction.
Tesshu
Great Old One

Postby Chris McKinley on Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:35 am

Um, Tesshu, JAB didn't write that....I did.
Chris McKinley

Postby wiesiek on Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:52 am

tatami
Joyful Fruits of the Live
wiesiek
Wuji

Postby cerebus on Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:55 am

Personally, I fight in whatever full-contact events are available to me. From 2002 til 2007 I was a member of the Tang Shou Tao Association, one of the very few Chinese Internal Arts Associations to hold annual full-contact events (albeit closed to the public). In 2008 I fought in the USKSF International Lei Tai Championships. Since that time I've trained almost exclusively in the Cheng Man Ching Tai Chi I initially learned in the Tang Shou Tao, supplemented with training in "empty body" skills and Tai Chi free-fighting under one of my instructors in Marin County. Now I'm getting ready to fight a match (or two) at an event being held this weekend by a local biker club to test out how well developed my abilities in the extreme softness of Tai Chi and empty-body training are. Wish me luck! ;)
"Fool, the Devil drives!"
cerebus
Great Old One

Postby johnwang on Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:56 am

Besides a good testing ground, you will need a teacher who can share his combat experience with you.

Student: Dear master, last night I did this and that and I lose. Can you tell me why?
Teacher: You made mistake on this and that. Go back to try this and that tonight and let me know the result tomorrow.
Crow weep in the dark. Tide bellow in the north wind. How lonesome the world.
johnwang
Great Old One

Next

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan