MA can bring people together

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

MA can bring people together

Postby Fubo on Thu Jul 03, 2008 6:08 am

I don't know if this topic is btdt, but one of the things I enjoy as a by product of "some" MA schools is meeting and hanging out with the different types of people from different back grounds. I think this can be an important thing for some people that lead very insular lives within their professions or just their social groups - although you can meet people at a cooking class, or art class etc... I feel that MA classes offer another level of contact (no pun intended), which is a kind of physical bonding, and where everyone is expected to work with everyone.

Something I was thinking about today.
Fubo
Wuji

Re: MA can bring people together

Postby mixjourneyman on Thu Jul 03, 2008 6:20 am

Agree.
MA can be a very good social environment and get you used to a lot of different types of people.
mixjourneyman
Great Old One

Postby Pat on Thu Jul 03, 2008 6:39 am

totally agreed! i love it!

you know what else brings martial artists together from all walks? EF!!! -joint-

that is what i love about EF the most. i get to meet other MA geeks like me. me = fan boi!
Just Let Your Soul Glo!!!
Pat
Anjing

Postby fuga on Thu Jul 03, 2008 7:29 am

I agree with the sentiment. I have come to really enjoy the SF EF group. We all come from different parts of the Bay Area and get together almost every week. I feel like through it I have made some great friends through sparring and sharing and sipping coffee. The bonding through honesty of sparring cannot be underestimated.
fuga
Great Old One

Postby Bhassler on Thu Jul 03, 2008 9:04 am

I've read a couple of pretty good articles on the cultural significance of martial arts in JAMA-- one of the things often cited about martial arts in JAMA and elsewhere (although I expect it applies most directly to Japanese MA with their traditionally more rigid class structure) is the benefit of recasting the social structure during the time spent in the kwoon/dojo. A person who may be a high powered executive in their daily life may find themselves as a rank beginner in the school, expected to emulate and take direction from someone who may have no college education and earn $8 an hour shlupping dirt for a living.

This can have a subtle though profound impact on a person's sense of self, and it is this same sort of reorganization of the self image that is central to all sorts of different physical/philisophical disciplines as well as numerous forms of psychotherapy. It's really fascinating stuff if the viewer has a broad enough perspective to appreciate it.

Also, it's cool to meet righteous dudes, and whatnot.
What I'm after isn't flexible bodies, but flexible brains.
--Moshe Feldenkrais
Bhassler
Great Old One

Postby qiphlow on Thu Jul 03, 2008 9:20 am

fuga wrote:I agree with the sentiment. I have come to really enjoy the SF EF group. We all come from different parts of the Bay Area and get together almost every week. I feel like through it I have made some great friends through sparring and sharing and sipping coffee. The bonding through honesty of sparring cannot be underestimated.

ditto.
esoteric voodoo wizard
qiphlow
Great Old One

Postby CaliG on Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:02 am

I agree at SF EF gathering it's really cool to meet with other people who want to get at the heart of what the IMAs really are all about...fighting.

Of course we have different opinions, but not real ego tripping here, we just like to figure out what works.

At my one of my schools I get to train with a lot of Russians and Eastern Europeans which is cool for me because it reminds me of being back in my wife's country, what's even cooler is even if you don't speak or are Russian they treat everyone with the same respect. In fact I think the coach is a little more critical of the Russians because they're from a no nonsense culture and that's just how they communicate, which is something I assumed about Russians/Ukrainians but now that I'm around I'm learning more about them.

In bjj I always thought it was kind of cool that you get these Aryan Brotherhood looking dudes learning from Brazilians. I think for a lot of them something like this is a new experience and it helps break down barriers in our society.

I also think that whether it's grappling or striking that there is a bond you make with people who are giving you a challenge and showing your where your weaknesses are that you can't develop anywhere else.
Last edited by CaliG on Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:34 am, edited 5 times in total.
CaliG

Postby Ben on Thu Jul 03, 2008 1:44 pm

Thats actually one of my favorite parts about MA. I have met some of the best people I know through Tai Chi. :)
Never confuse movement with action.
-Ernest Hemingway
Ben
Great Old One

Postby mixjourneyman on Thu Jul 03, 2008 2:20 pm

Greg, re arian brotherhood: funny that you mention it. My friend goes to a thai gym and trains with a bunch of skin heads and his teacher is a black police officer lol!!!!!!! ;D
mixjourneyman
Great Old One

Postby Darthwing Teorist on Thu Jul 03, 2008 2:23 pm

There are skinheads against racism. They usually clash violently with their racist variant.
И ам тхе террор тхат флапс ин тхе нигхт! И ам тхе црамп тхат руинс ёур форм! И ам... ДАРКWИНГ ДУЦК!
Darthwing Teorist
Great Old One

Postby Bhassler on Thu Jul 03, 2008 3:17 pm

And some of us are just bald, alright? Why's it always gotta be about hair, anyways? Discrimination, that's what it is. Goddamn hair follicle supremacists. Y'all are just jealous of our high levels of DHT...
What I'm after isn't flexible bodies, but flexible brains.
--Moshe Feldenkrais
Bhassler
Great Old One

Postby mixjourneyman on Thu Jul 03, 2008 4:27 pm

Darthwing Teorist wrote:There are skinheads against racism. They usually clash violently with their racist variant.

Actually, the first skinheads were both black and white. Thats why you see the black and white checker board in British ska music so much.
mixjourneyman
Great Old One

Postby edededed on Thu Jul 03, 2008 6:32 pm

Bhassler wrote:I've read a couple of pretty good articles on the cultural significance of martial arts in JAMA-- one of the things often cited about martial arts in JAMA and elsewhere (although I expect it applies most directly to Japanese MA with their traditionally more rigid class structure) is the benefit of recasting the social structure during the time spent in the kwoon/dojo. A person who may be a high powered executive in their daily life may find themselves as a rank beginner in the school, expected to emulate and take direction from someone who may have no college education and earn $8 an hour shlupping dirt for a living.

This can have a subtle though profound impact on a person's sense of self, and it is this same sort of reorganization of the self image that is central to all sorts of different physical/philisophical disciplines as well as numerous forms of psychotherapy. It's really fascinating stuff if the viewer has a broad enough perspective to appreciate it.

Also, it's cool to meet righteous dudes, and whatnot.

This does make more sense in terms of Japan, where hierarchy is paramount (i.e. upper levels tend to be assholes, even if they seemed nice when they were lower). Obviously, one place's hierarchy is not necessarily valid elsewhere; but, as a result, most people who are "high" in one place do not normally try to join a new environment where they will have to lose that precious high standing. Thus, assholes remain assholes.
edededed
Great Old One

Postby Syd on Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:00 pm

mixjourneyman wrote:
Darthwing Teorist wrote:There are skinheads against racism. They usually clash violently with their racist variant.

Actually, the first skinheads were both black and white. Thats why you see the black and white checker board in British ska music so much.

I'll go you one better, the first skinheads were actually Mods ... they were hardcore Mods who were reacting against the Psychedelic influence on the Mod scene in London during the late 60's, that's when the groups splintered ... the early clothing of Sta Press and work wear was a Mod thing; I know because my Fathers generation was that original Mod gen and I had uncles who were London Mods during the original period. What happened was you had Mods and Rude Boys who were more heavily into Northern Soul and Ska/Reggae etc. The original hardcore Mods who became suede heads and only LATER became skins were co-opted by the neo-Nazi's and other groups that had race agenda's and it was then that the Skinheads were born with their particularly bad reputations for violence against blacks and ethnic minorities. Mind you they'd not fare well against a group of London Mods either, Mods were known for being nasty ... just do a search on the Brighton Riots in the 60's between the Mods and Rockers. This saw thousands of London Mods ride their Vespas down to Brighton beach to take on the Rockers ... the entire beach front became a Warzone.

The original Mods and Suede Heads ALL had black mates, all listened to Soul music, Ska and Reggae ... sadly the real history of the Skinheads ( Suede Heads ) has been overshadowed by the Neo-Nazi elements ... they tried to do the same thing during the English Punk explosion also where you had Nazi Punks ... it's just a lame attempt to co-opt ANY new movement for the sake of increasing membership.
Syd
Santi

Postby mixjourneyman on Fri Jul 04, 2008 5:17 am

I didn't know about the mod connection. I always thought there was anymosity between mods and skins.
Anyways, the neo nazi thing really started with screwdriver, a band that was originally a traditional skinhead rock band, but later became racist.
If you ask any nazi skin about the history of their movement, you will likely hear a lot about music influence and most likely they will credit screwdriver as being extremely important to the movement. But now this thread is completely derailed, lol.
mixjourneyman
Great Old One

Next

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan