Sword finger

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Sword finger

Postby northern_mantis on Sun Jun 13, 2010 12:06 pm

Has anybody had the occasion to demonstrate a sword technique without having a sword available and successfully adjusted distance etc. to make the sword finger work in the absence of a weapon.

Also does anybody have any thoughts on the sword finger both in the non-sword holding hand and for striking?

Mantis :)
northern_mantis
Huajing

Re: Sword finger

Postby Ben on Sun Jun 13, 2010 12:14 pm

I think if you were going to strike with the fingers they would need to be conditioned to be effective. Seems like a lot of trouble when you could use a fist or a palm, depending on the target.
Never confuse movement with action.
-Ernest Hemingway
Ben
Great Old One

Postby KEND on Sun Jun 13, 2010 1:12 pm

If you have iron finger skill it is used for striking, otherwise holding a short weapon such as a knife.
KEND
Great Old One

Postby Chris McKinley on Sun Jun 13, 2010 2:30 pm

Agreed with Ken.....conditioning seems like a whole pantload of stupid when you can just use a knife.
Chris McKinley

Postby willywrong on Sun Jun 13, 2010 5:48 pm

Chris McKinley wrote:Agreed with Ken.....conditioning seems like a whole pantload of stupid when you can just use a knife.

Have used it to strike into the left side of the neck between the jugular and the carotid veins. Delivery was like throwing a ball. The longest finger was the striking edge with the trigger finger reinforcing it above. Prefer to use the Phoenix eye fist but different delivery required. No real hand conditioning required. :)
willywrong

Postby wayne hansen on Sun Jun 13, 2010 5:52 pm

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ViYa0-dRdlM&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ViYa0-dRdlM&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ViYa0-dR ... re=related

there is a bit of empty hand tai chi sword on the end.

did you all realise the old fart in the park was doing a sword form emptyhand.
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby northern_mantis on Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:47 am

Thanks for the link, that was exactly what I was thinking about.

I agree, phoenix eye fist is a preferred option. Was mainly interested in demonstrating sword techniques in the absence of a sword.

Thanks all
northern_mantis
Huajing

Postby Bill on Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:48 am

It hurts when I Pi
Bill
Great Old One

Postby WongYing on Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:17 am

You don't have to overly condition the finger tips or fingers per se for using the sword hand fingers to be effective. You do need good structure, the right strength, timing, distance etc. I have used the fingers like this quite effectively and I don't practice Iron hand, maybe the eagle claw training helps create strong fingers. Soft areas and Dian Xue points work quite well
WongYing
Huajing

Postby willywrong on Tue Jun 15, 2010 6:36 pm

Bill wrote:Image

Is he shooting and then chopping whats left or chopping then shooting whats left?
willywrong

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan