Anything is good enough for health

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Anything is good enough for health

Postby MartialDev on Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:54 am

johnwang wrote:
Bao wrote: I don't think it's fun to focus on health aspects.

I also don't think you can teach your form correctly either. When you teach your "double pulling" (move hands from your right to your left), should both hands be facing down (like CMC did)? face up? left hand face down while right hand face up? left hand face up while right hand face down? For health, you can teach anyway that you want and it won't make any difference. For combat, there is only one right way and the other 3 ways are all wrong.

Without combat application as the guideline, how can you teach the correct body movement?

I've seen this attitude so many times, from people who don't care about Taiji for health. Whereas, in people who actually do teach for health, and are qualified to do so, I've never seen it.

Some MMA instructors think that Taiji for combat is a joke. It doesn't matter whether your hands are facing up or down in the form, because Taiji for combat doesn't work. There's no need to be concerned about empty and full, because they are always changing anyway. There is no need for stance training because in a real fight, you are constantly moving around. I could go on, but no need.

I'm just wondering, who is correct, and who is spouting groundless theories?
MartialDev
Anjing

Re: Anything is good enough for health

Postby Bhassler on Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:13 am

I am correct. Thank you for asking.
What I'm after isn't flexible bodies, but flexible brains.
--Moshe Feldenkrais
Bhassler
Great Old One

Postby johnwang on Mon Jun 14, 2010 2:24 pm

This combo looks good and also has "health" value (I did see this combo used in a TKD demo).

- Skip in right side kick.
- Land right foot.
- Strike left elbow forward.

Does this combo make sense in "combat"? It doesn't because after side kick the distance between you and your opponent will be too far to apply your elbow strike. If you teach this form for "health", nobody will question you, but if you teach it for "combat" some students with IQ above 20 will be able to tell you that this combo make no sense.

Something may be good enough for health, it may not be good enough for combat.
Last edited by johnwang on Mon Jun 14, 2010 2:32 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Crow weep in the dark. Tide bellow in the north wind. How lonesome the world.
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby MartialDev on Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:55 pm

I am glad to hear that health is so simple! If you will please briefly explain the relationship between TCM, mudra, the Taiji postures, and organ function--without looking it up and quoting from a book--then I won't bother you with such trivialities any more. After that, you can return to the complexities of a "fully resisting opponent" with my sincere blessings. :)
Last edited by MartialDev on Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MartialDev
Anjing

Postby flying_mud on Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:04 pm

In a way, health is combat. Without health you couldn't expect to be a great warrior. And isn't health itself fending off those things which could take away your life force?
flying_mud
Anjing

Postby everything on Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:26 pm

Whatever doesn't kill me makes me stronger. Not lifting weights doesn't kill me. Therefore not lifting weights makes me stronger.

- Jack Handey
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby RickMatz on Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:33 pm

everything wrote:

Whatever doesn't kill me makes me stronger. Not lifting weights doesn't kill me. Therefore not lifting weights makes me stronger.

- Jack Handey

Whatever doesn't kill me probably still hurts like the dickens.
RickMatz
Huajing

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan