Master Chu King Hung info anyone??

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Master Chu King Hung info anyone??

Postby Waterway on Mon Jul 12, 2010 3:09 am

So I found a Taiji teacher not too far away from me. He said on his site he studied under Master Chu King Hung for 14 years. I found a clip of said Master:

As I stated before, I'm no expert in IMA but I was a bit unsure about the clip (Masters demo starts at 3:40). Anyone have any info/experience with this guy? FWIW, the local teacher said he now studies under Christopher Pei. I don't know why he left his old teacher.

Thanks for any help.
Waterway
Anjing

Re: Master Chu King Hung info anyone??

Postby Walter Joyce on Mon Jul 12, 2010 3:20 am

I believe that he is one of the three lineage disciples of Yang Sau Chung.

I think the demonstration is laughable and a testament to his ego.

Disclaimer:

I studied with Chu Gin Soon, also one of Yang Sau Chung's disciples. He would also do things like this in demonstration, I didn't think much of it then. I felt that Gin soon had skills, I didn't understand why he got into Li Kong Jin.
Last edited by Walter Joyce on Mon Jul 12, 2010 3:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
The more one sweats during times of peace the less one bleeds during times of war.

Ideology offers human beings the illusion of dignity and morals while making it easier to part with them.
Walter Joyce
Great Old One

Postby mrtoes on Mon Jul 12, 2010 3:32 am

Yeah, CKH got into the no touch stuff but I think only later on. Yes, that demo made me cringe. However, one of my previous teachers studied with CKH (albeit a long time ago) and he was really very good, so I wouldn't necessarily let the chi waving put you off, I'm sure that CKH had some good stuff to teach and maybe still does. Check out this teacher and judge for yourself, it sounds like you have the experience to be able to ascertain whether he's a chi fairy or not :)

Matthew.
mrtoes
Wuji

Postby GrahamB on Mon Jul 12, 2010 3:55 am

Empty force is "throwing by peer pressure" - if you don't fall over everybody in the class hates you. You either join in or leave. It's powerful stuff!
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby Pandrews1982 on Mon Jul 12, 2010 4:19 am

Aroudn 4.50 his students gather round him like a rugby scrum, would be interested to see what would happen if he tried his peng against a team of professional rugby players :)

I think there is a difference between what is shown in public (or not shown) and what a person may be able to teach. The only way to know is to go and see and try to stay honest, if a guy pushes a person and the person can resist it then he needs to do something different, to jump back or overreact is being dishonest and neither person involved gains much from it. I don't even think these things make people look good, most people outside the "act" can see through it and I think it just makes people look stupid rather than making them look like they've got mad skills.

Also want to point out, i've seen and felt similar demonstrations of being pushed when in a line of people by some guys who I think have some skill and I was impressed by what i felt, the reaction wasn't anything like that seen in the video but i have seen the guy at the back of the line trip backwards and fall down before, its really a demonstration of being able to transmit force through a medium - like the newton's cradle effect.
Pandrews1982
Great Old One

Postby Dmitri on Mon Jul 12, 2010 5:49 am

I had a friend in Austria try to stop by his school to feel/get a demo of the magic, but naturally they were told (by someone else -- didn't even get to see the man!) that they weren't "ready" enough to experience the LKJ. Not surprisingly.

That said, similar to what Matthew said above, I've heard the man had some very good skills, so... :-/

Bottom-line question is whether he's a good teacher and whether the school is a "good fit" for you personally.

Look at the demo section of his website and ask yourself if you'd like to be one of his students (esp. in the last demo...) I know I wouldn't, no matter how amazing his personal skills might be, -- but that's just me; mileage varies... you might have no problem with any of it, so...

Best of luck in any case.
Last edited by Dmitri on Mon Jul 12, 2010 5:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dmitri
Great Old One

Postby jonathan.bluestein on Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:10 am

GrahamB wrote:Empty force is "throwing by peer pressure" - if you don't fall over everybody in the class hates you. You either join in or leave. It's powerful stuff!

That's quote of the month!!! ;D ;D ;D
jonathan.bluestein
Wuji

Postby GrahamB on Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:35 am

jonathan.bluestein wrote:
GrahamB wrote:Empty force is "throwing by peer pressure" - if you don't fall over everybody in the class hates you. You either join in or leave. It's powerful stuff!

That's quote of the month!!! ;D ;D ;D

I won't take credit for it though - it's from my XingYi teacher ;D
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby Fubo on Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:53 am

Ip Tai Tak, who was Yang Shou Zhong's 1st disciple did not do any empty force stuff or pushing group of students in rows or groups. These practices must have come from some where else.
Fubo
Wuji

Postby KEND on Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:04 pm

Studied with him for abour 6 months in England in the mid 70's, I believe Erle Montaigue was with him around that time. Learnt some I Chuan, Hsing yi . It was a regular school in those days, nothing fancy. Dont know where the empty power came from. The pushing several people thing is done by many 'masters', I dont know why they still do it, others do 'burning paper' and other magic tricks to impress the audience, there seems to be a disconnect there.
KEND
Great Old One

Postby wayne hansen on Mon Jul 12, 2010 4:36 pm

earl was in australia in the mid 70,s
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby taiwandeutscher on Mon Jul 12, 2010 5:19 pm

Somewhere, I have seen a vid from the same Hongkong performance, after which a Chinese gentleman took over the mic and started a rant on CKH and how bad such show-offs would be for the image of real TJQ. I thought that was great, that someone stood up to such BS, and it also makes me wonder why so many long time indoors of him finally quitt and go their own ways. Only the money quarrel?
hongdaozi
taiwandeutscher
Wuji

Postby KEND on Tue Jul 13, 2010 6:33 am

Copied from bio
'Erle did many things in the music industry in Australia until 1974 when he travelled to London to further his music and acting career. But God had an ulterior motive in that he really went there to meet his 2nd Tai Chi teacher, Chu King Hung who took him on as his first student.'
KEND
Great Old One

Postby Ron Panunto on Tue Jul 13, 2010 3:57 pm

KEND wrote:Copied from bio
'Erle did many things in the music industry in Australia until 1974 when he travelled to London to further his music and acting career. But God had an ulterior motive in that he really went there to meet his 2nd Tai Chi teacher, Chu King Hung who took him on as his first student.'

It's reassuring when god intervenes at just the right moment. Imagine if he hadn't!
Ron Panunto
Wuji

Postby lazyboxer on Tue Jul 13, 2010 6:35 pm

I knew several of his senior students, met the man himself (around 1980) and got to push hands with him as non-cooperatively as I could. I just neutralized him, but couldn't push him out, nor he me, until he had me backed up against the wall. He was courteous and friendly, although obviously eager to prove the superiority of his methods over mine (Zheng Manqing style at the time). Someone told me he'd knocked down Zheng's late senior student Patrick Watson, who'd gone to challenge him, though I don't know how true the story is.

I thought his skills were OK but not great, and didn't care much for most of his students. He was already into the big fajin trip, and had trained his people to go along with his setups, which I didn't like - their force was all square with little roundness or ability to change, as a result of which most of them were very stiff and inflexible. He did very well indeed financially during the Taiji boom years, and is now semi-retired. The Boston Chu people dispute his claims about learning from Yang Shaojung - not a disciple, just a short-term student etc. Unusually for the time, he also taught bagua and xingyi in London as far back as the 1970s.

As always, I would advise you to judge your local teacher on his own merits, not from his lineage claims.
Living well is the best revenge.
lazyboxer
Great Old One

Next

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan