no-nonsense, high-discipline xingyi in Boston or NY?

Request a teacher near you. Any school opening notices are also posted here.

no-nonsense, high-discipline xingyi in Boston or NY?

Postby Enjinno9 on Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:09 am

I'll be moving back to the states, probably boston or ny, from abroad in a year or two, and I'm scouting Xingyi/IMA instructors in advance.

A short while ago, I had the opportunity to take a couple of classes with a well-reputed Xingyi teacher in the Boston area. He was a nice guy who played his cards very close to his chest, as wise teachers tend to do, and I could tell he had proved himself long ago. I respect him; I don't, however, think I could become one of his long-term students, because his courses were light on application and, according to his students, never included sparring. The students themselves weren't there to fight; they wanted healthy exercise. There wasn't much discipline.

I understand the master surely has several private reasons for not emphasizing application; his attitude is also fashionable in China right now. My own master in Shanxi, who grew up in the old, harsher system, actively dissuades us students from hard sparring. And now, when one approaches many students of IMA and asks about hard contact training, many reply, "Well, I'm not going to go out and start fights," as if there were no difference between the two. And I'm sick of getting thrown around like a rag doll or punched into Swiss cheese every time I step up to wing chun students or my best friend, who takes Pai Lum, because their teachers teach the practical core of the art and, lo and behold, what they teach works.

Are there any Xingyi and/or bagua teachers in Boston or NY who push their students hard and commit to combat? If I have to, I'll find an EMA teacher who does, then try to understand it in an IMA context, though I'd prefer not to.

Thanks, all.
Enjinno9
Santi

Re: no-nonsense, high-discipline xingyi in Boston or NY?

Postby npc on Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:34 am

blacktaoist lives in ny hes got some xy on youtube
npc
Anjing

Postby npc on Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:37 am

Last edited by npc on Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
npc
Anjing

Postby cerebus on Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:40 pm

Tom Bisio teaches the Shen Lung Hsing-I of the Tang Shou Tao. If you're looking for combat-functional Hsing-I, that might be a good place to look.
"Fool, the Devil drives!"
cerebus
Great Old One

Postby edededed on Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:42 pm

Xingyi, xingyi... Some people who might be in NYC:

Isn't Li Tailiang (Che style, Dai style amalgam) still there?
Zhang Weidong I think teaches some kind of xingyi as well as other stuff (bagua, etc.).
Our own "small John" teaches yiquan and some xingyi, I think - I'd love to meet him myself if I ever get a chance...
I'll bet that there are others hiding in NYC as well ;D
James Montalbano is in NYC as well, I think.
Last edited by edededed on Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
edededed
Great Old One

Postby chud on Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:09 am

edededed wrote:James Montalbano is in NYC as well, I think.

Yes, James Montalbano used to post here. He was a student of Kenny Gong and I think he's running his old school.
Mike Strong who used to post here had some contact with the Kenny Gong line and had good things to say about him and James Montalbano.
You can find videos of Kenny Gong on YouTube, if you want to see what his Xingyi/Bagua looks like.
chud
Great Old One

Postby JessOBrien on Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:38 pm

Ennjin you already know XIng Yi you just need to mix it up and get some experience sparring.
Sounds like you are off to a good start working with your bros.
Keep training and keep testing.
Pick up what you can from good teachers.
But the only way to get good at sparring is the hours put in and you don't need a teacher for that.
JessOBrien
Great Old One

Postby gzregorz on Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:41 pm

I never imagined xingyi was suffering the same fate as taiji in the States, but I'm not surprised.

As Jesse mentioned I too would probably just find other CMA people to spar with. If that doesn't work out I would find a gym where you can spar. I used to slip in taiji's parry and punch into my boxing sessions. I would hide it but once we started doing combinations I slip it in, just don't get too carried away, show them that you want to learn their style if you want to come back.
Last edited by gzregorz on Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"There is more wisdom in your body than in your deepest philosophy." - Friedrich Nietzsche
gzregorz
Wuji

Postby somatai on Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:58 am

i would be happy to meet up if you come through Boston.....my .2 is there is no xinyi fighting with out body method and once there is body method there is just fighting
somatai

Postby jjy5016 on Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:32 am

Not teaching in NYC any more. Only from my home in upstate NY.

No nonsense training. You get pushed hard. You learn how to not be Swiss Cheese and gain some power.

Look me up if you are interested in yiquan.

small John
"I kew evibady. I squeegee him - like dis. STAND me?"
I'm always careful to lift the seat when IP
jjy5016
Great Old One

Postby edededed on Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:42 pm

Hey John - how far away from the city do you live? (I don't think I'll be in NYC for a long time, but just to know...)

(I also don't have a driver's license, which kind of sucks...)
edededed
Great Old One

Postby jjy5016 on Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:45 pm

50-60 miles north of NYC. Just passed where the old Tai Chi Farm was in Warwick.
"I kew evibady. I squeegee him - like dis. STAND me?"
I'm always careful to lift the seat when IP
jjy5016
Great Old One

Postby edededed on Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:49 pm

Cool, so maybe an hour drive or so - never did get to go to the Tai Chi farm, although I heard about it many times when I was doing taiji as a teenager! :D
edededed
Great Old One

Postby Enjinno9 on Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:00 pm

Gentlemen,

Thanks to all of you for the info and support. Somatai and "small John," I will certainly look you up when I'm back home. Master Li Tailiang is also on my to-visit list; he brought his students to the Taigu invitational last summer, but I didn't get a chance to meet him.

You know, I understand it's important to let go of one's own suppositions when pursuing a martial discipline, and I when I find myself holding to the belief that xingyi should be taught and studied with the same kind of intense commitment as any other style, I wonder if I have something wrong.
Enjinno9
Santi

Postby kshurika on Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:55 pm

Who did you study with in Shanxi?
kshurika
Wuji

Next

Return to Request a Teacher