Cambridge MA

Request a teacher near you. Any school opening notices are also posted here.

Cambridge MA

Postby jonathan.bluestein on Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:02 pm

Friend is living at the area, studying at Harvard. Looking for good teachers to look into. Isn't sure of style. Used to practice Goju-ryu many years ago. Any recommendations? Thanks! :)
jonathan.bluestein
Wuji

Re: Cambridge MA

Postby edededed on Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:44 pm

If I were in your friend's shoes, I'd consider:

Gin Soon Chu (Yang taijiquan, disciple of Yang Shouzhong (Yang Chengfu's eldest son)) - Boston
Marin "Moling" Spivack (Chen taijiquan, disciple of Chen Yu (Chen Fake's grandson)) - Boston, Cambridge, etc.

I think that Marin went to Harvard, too, so that might be a positive, too...
edededed
Great Old One

Postby Michael on Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:54 am

edededed wrote:Gin Soon Chu (Yang taijiquan, disciple of Yang Shouzhong (Yang Chengfu's eldest son)) - Boston
Last edited by Michael on Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
Michael

Postby LeoV on Sat Aug 03, 2013 2:09 pm

Marcus Opalenik is teaching Yizong Bagua in Chinatown (Boston). He studied with Luo Laoshi for six years straight and has the system.

Marcus teaches Hsing-I as well.

If your friend wants to drop him a note, he can be reached at [email protected].
LeoV
Santi

Postby Interloper on Sat Aug 03, 2013 4:47 pm

I heard that Marin Spivak may be back in China, studying with his teacher. Dunno if he's still away. He was living north of Boston in Salem, Mass. for some time.

Another option for an internal Chinese MA is Boston I Liq Chuan (family art of Sam F.S. Chin). They train 3X/week @ the Boston YMCU (yes, "U") building just on the edge of Chinatown -- on Boylston St., right near the Boylston MBTA subway stop and close to the Red Line that goes to Harvard Square. It's a study group, but Master Chin lives about 4 hours away in upstate New York, and the group travels out there maybe once a month to train with him.
Pariah without peer
Interloper
Great Old One

Postby LeoV on Sat Aug 03, 2013 6:21 pm

Also if your friend wants to check out some Hsing-I, Marcus runs a monthly seminar at Brookline Tai Chi. This would be a good one, as Marcus has a few newbies at the seminars, so he's running this elements focused seminar on August 10th.

LeoV
Santi

Postby jonathan.bluestein on Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:11 pm

Thanks guys. Will report these teachers to him. I also saw Dale Dugas is from that general area so I recommended him as well :-)
jonathan.bluestein
Wuji

Postby NoSword on Sat Aug 03, 2013 11:01 pm

Derek's Notman's teacher Peng Shuisheng is one of the #1 teachers I'd like to check out in the States. AFAIK he also teaches at Brookline. Derek himself might be teaching too?

Dan Harden must have people in the Cambridge area as well, no?
Your identity is the enemy
NoSword
Wuji

Postby Interloper on Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:49 am

William Gleason heads Shobu Aikido in Somerville, right next to Cambridge, accessible on the Red Line subway line. He is a student of Dan Harden's and uses the internal body method approach (Aiki), so he would be a good choice of teachers, too.
Pariah without peer
Interloper
Great Old One

Postby Jim_F on Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:45 pm

If wants to continue Goju he owes it to himself to see Anthony Mirakian in Watertown...15 minutes from Harvard Square. His reputation speaks for itself.
Jim_F
Anjing

Return to Request a Teacher