Seattle IMA (again)

Request a teacher near you. Any school opening notices are also posted here.

Seattle IMA (again)

Postby aiasthewall on Sat Aug 17, 2013 12:59 pm

Hey all,

I am moving to Seattle in a couple of months and wanted to know what is going on in Seattle IMA at the moment. I have about 4 years of hard training in xing yi and a year of ILC here in nyc under Steve Arboleda. I know there is an I Liq group that I hope to train with, just wondering what else might be out there.

Thanks in advance,

Brendan
aiasthewall
Anjing

Re: Seattle IMA (again)

Postby kshurika on Sun Aug 18, 2013 2:49 pm

Tim Cartmell's longtime student, Jake Burroughs, is in Seattle.

http://threeharmonies.blogspot.com/p/ab ... -arts.html
kshurika
Wuji

Postby Foot on Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:30 pm

I don't have any advice, but I'm in the same boat. Just moved up here. If you are interested, we should meet up.
Foot
Santi

Postby Michael on Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:36 am

Teaser? Know any IMA's up there?
Michael

Postby aiasthewall on Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:05 am

Great. Thanks for the info everyone. Foot, I am interested; Ill PM you when I am settled in.
aiasthewall
Anjing

Postby Orpheus on Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:30 am

I've been out of the city for four years, but some guys still around that know. I'll include people I know and some who might not pop up on a search. Also not necessarily CMA.

Jake Burroughs. Second KShurika on his rec.
Keith Judelman. Teaches shuai jiao. Only contacted him via email, but since he's teaching the only Chinese shuai jiao in the city, should put the info out.
Aaron fields. Jujitsu and Sambo. Good, concise teacher and hard working skilled students. Also, non profit, so it's cheap.
Andy Dale. My teacher. Teaches applications but not focused on fighting. Many of the drills he taught proved to be helpful in my own wrestling training.
Neil Yamamoto. Aikijujitsu, Aikido that's gone mean. Skilled. May be hard to track down. Try to contact Andy dale.

Wu Na Chang and Mei Hui. Avoid them if you can. Wu Na is decent, Mei Hui not so much. They like to collect masters.
Orpheus
Anjing

Postby Orpheus on Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:31 am

Goldenarms?
Orpheus
Anjing

Postby Interloper on Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:27 pm

Orpheus wrote:Neil Yamamoto. Aikijujitsu, Aikido that's gone mean. Skilled. May be hard to track down. Try to contact Andy dale.

Neil is around. He is a moderator on E-Budo (e-budo.com) and checks in. If you start a member account there you can send him a PM.
Pariah without peer
Interloper
Great Old One

Postby edededed on Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:46 am

Regarding Wu Na Chang - is he Chinese? He looks rather Caucasian, at least in his pictures... ???
edededed
Great Old One

Postby ashe on Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:19 pm

kshurika wrote:Tim Cartmell's longtime student, Jake Burroughs, is in Seattle.

i don't want to speak on behalf of Jake (so check up yourself) but from what I understand he's only grappling these days.
discipline, concentration & wisdom
----------------------------------------
http://fallingleaveskungfu.com/
Facebook
Instagram
ashe
Great Old One

Postby aiasthewall on Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:51 pm

Thanks so much everyone. Ideally I would like to keep with cma for a while longer to get it into my bones before branching out. Depending upon teacher availability, I may just start up a training group for xing yi and make the trek to visit my teacher as I am able.

Again, thank you.
aiasthewall
Anjing

Postby I am... on Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:48 pm

Orpheus wrote:Goldenarms?

Sorry Orpheus, I just saw this now or I would have responded earlier. Your list seems pretty good.

There is a nice group that trains Daito Ryu style body work (as taught by forum member Bodywork/Dan Harden and Howard Popkin I believe) in Bellevue area.

I believe Zhang Jie still teaches Baguazhang in the Shoreline area, when I saw him regularly he was primarily focused on teaching forms and some 2 person partner work.

I am not sure if Frank Wong and the Dai style Xinyi guys are still working out out here, but if so, they trained close to the U District.

I train Pak Mei privately, but teach Hung Gar oriented towards functionality and fighting if that is of interest.
http://www.appliedcombat.com

"Once you have firmly decided that you face certain death, overwhelming thoughts of fear will be exhausted in your mind..."
-Hirayama Shiryu-
I am...
Wuji

Postby Yugen on Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:45 am

Terry Neil trains with me in I Liq Chuan, but he has 10 years or so in Wu Tai Chi, trains some in xing yi too and he trained a long time with Jake Burroughs (Jake is primarily focused on BJJ from what I understand, he no longer teaches Chinese arts). Terry trains and teaches the other styles outside of ILC - you can contact him thru his website http://daoistfightingarts.com/
Ryan
Seattle, WA
Yugen
Mingjing

Postby JAB on Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:28 pm

Ahhh assumptions are great aren't they?! Funny how a handful of you think you know what I do, yet I have never even met you, nor spoken with you!?!? Yugen, Ashe, if you all are interested in what I train/teach, why not simply contact me and ask instead of speaking for me?

For those interested I still practice and teach CMA, but the problem is very few, if any, wish to train the CMA as a martial art... Which is how I teach it. Sadly the CMA as a generalized whole has become nothing more then fancy dancing under the guise of a effective esoteric martial art.

If you are interested in training, I am happy to teach private lessons or small groups. I also offer group classes in Combatives (striking / self defense / grappling) and Pekiti Tirsia Kali.

Cheers
Jake Burroughs
[email protected]
www.threeharmonies.com
The Ground Never Misses Blog - www.threeharmonies.blogspot.com
JAB
Santi

Postby Bhassler on Tue Nov 05, 2013 3:39 pm

ashe wrote:
kshurika wrote:Tim Cartmell's longtime student, Jake Burroughs, is in Seattle.

i don't want to speak on behalf of Jake (so check up yourself) but from what I understand he's only grappling these days.

JAB wrote:Ahhh assumptions are great aren't they?! Funny how a handful of you think you know what I do, yet I have never even met you, nor spoken with you!?!? Yugen, Ashe, if you all are interested in what I train/teach, why not simply contact me and ask instead of speaking for me?

Jake seems like a great communicator. You should go there.
What I'm after isn't flexible bodies, but flexible brains.
--Moshe Feldenkrais
Bhassler
Great Old One

Next

Return to Request a Teacher