Tom Bisio

Request a teacher near you. Any school opening notices are also posted here.

Tom Bisio

Postby Mianbao shifu on Tue May 24, 2016 2:02 pm

I trained Xingyiquan years ago, but stopped to focus on taijiquan. Nothing against taijiquan, but it just is not for me, took me a awhile to figure that out, but.... I am working on XIngyiquan again

To the question, I am not a fan of distance learning programs but I am wondering if anyone has any experience with any of Tom Bisio and xingyiquan? He appears to be mostly Baguazhang

I was looking at his Xing Yi Nei Gong program http://www.internalartsinternational.com/programs/.

I also see he had a Xing Yi Intensive, but it is a little late to sign up for that.
Mianbao shifu
Santi

Re: Tom Bisio

Postby kshurika on Tue May 24, 2016 3:35 pm

Where do you live?
kshurika
Wuji

Postby Mianbao shifu on Tue May 24, 2016 5:44 pm

Not near Bisio, the weekend training would have been a hike. I am up near Schenectady
Last edited by Mianbao shifu on Tue May 24, 2016 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mianbao shifu
Santi

Postby wetmarble on Mon Jul 11, 2016 6:51 pm

Hi Mianbao,

I've been studying bagua with Tom for over a decade. PM me and I'd be glad to answer any questions, or forward along anything that I can't answer.

Adam
wetmarble
Anjing

Postby Bob on Wed Jul 27, 2016 10:14 am

Mianbao:

I cannot say enough good things about Tom Bisio's materials - some years back I bought Tim Cartmell's book on the Xing Yi Nei gong exercises and was amazed at how close they were to the baji nei gong I learned.

Also ran into an individual who taught me about half the exercises - that was in the late 1980s or early 1990s and forgot about the exercises. In my late fifties I got interested in them but couldn't remember much.

When Bisio came out with the xing yi nei gong I bought the on-line version and it has been worth every penny.

His explanations, through the lens of traditional Chinese correlational cosmology and traditional Chinese medicine, are superb.

The instruction is A+ and I have had experience in making programs with baji, bagua, and taiji. He has done it well - good balance between the intellectual and the practicality.

I sincerely think you cannot go wrong with xing yi nei gong training program and I hope he does more with xing yi in the future.
Last edited by Bob on Wed Jul 27, 2016 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bob
Great Old One

Postby zrm on Mon Aug 01, 2016 2:51 am

Check out the Tu Na Si Ba thread. It's a breath training method from a line Xing Yi Quan that Tom Bisio has been teaching.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=25040
zrm
Huajing

Postby Taste of Death on Mon Aug 01, 2016 10:33 am

Mike Sigman on Tom Bisio from the 6H group on facebook last Thursday.

I agree with Ignatius. He's closer than the OP guy, but close only counts with hand grenades and horse-shoe tossing.

I believe that's Tom Bisio, who is a North American Tang Shou Tao member. I don't know Tom, but I know a few TST people and some of them have had access to some neigong stuff, but in terms of jin and body mechanics, I haven't seen it. The NATST has its roots in guys who studied on Taiwan. As two very good Chinese friends of my from Taiwan put it, there was an uproar back in the 60's about some of the martial experts like Hong Yi Xiang teaching foreigners. Some of these, including Hong, stood before the martial-arts council and swore that they were only showing the foreigners the external aspects of the arts.

From my experience that's all most of them know and hence this video. Be happy to debate it with one of them, but I'm on pretty firm ground.

Regardless of whom Bisio studied with, his movement speaks for itself. By bringing in Gao Jiwu and others, you're suggesting, essentially, that they are also responsible for his movement. That speaks poorly of either those teachers or Tom Bisio's ability to understand correct 6H movement. ;)

...one factor I've noticed for years is that if someone starts out in Chinese martial-arts and thinks that they understand things, they might go to a better teacher later, but they don't really learn because, as they say, "their cup is already full". Usually if someone learns BS CMA's it's very hard for them to drop the preconceptions they first learned. That's why there's so much emphasis on your own ability to understand. You have to be smart to really understand the complexity of Chinese martial-arts.

Only Sigman knows the true path. I have yet to see any evidence of it, though.

He can't discuss ima without bashing everyone with better skills than him.
"It was already late. Night stood murkily over people, and no one else pronounced words; all that could be heard was a dog barking in some alien village---just as in olden times, as if it existed in a constant eternity." Andrey Platonov
Taste of Death
Wuji

Postby chud on Mon Aug 01, 2016 1:06 pm

Bob wrote:Mianbao:

I cannot say enough good things about Tom Bisio's materials - some years back I bought Tim Cartmell's book on the Xing Yi Nei gong exercises and was amazed at how close they were to the baji nei gong I learned.

Also ran into an individual who taught me about half the exercises - that was in the late 1980s or early 1990s and forgot about the exercises. In my late fifties I got interested in them but couldn't remember much.

When Bisio came out with the xing yi nei gong I bought the on-line version and it has been worth every penny.

His explanations, through the lens of traditional Chinese correlational cosmology and traditional Chinese medicine, are superb.

The instruction is A+ and I have had experience in making programs with baji, bagua, and taiji. He has done it well - good balance between the intellectual and the practicality.

I sincerely think you cannot go wrong with xing yi nei gong training program and I hope he does more with xing yi in the future.

Thanks for sharing your review Bob.
chud
Great Old One

Postby wayne hansen on Mon Aug 01, 2016 1:22 pm

As TST practicioner I must say the internal was taught to westerners especially by hsu hong chi
The stuff from both Bisio and cartmell is not TST noi gung
They are good basic exercises and with instruction may go deeply but as shown on the tapes and books are not very profound
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby Taste of Death on Mon Aug 01, 2016 3:16 pm

wayne hansen wrote:As TST practicioner I must say the internal was taught to westerners especially by hsu hong chi
The stuff from both Bisio and cartmell is not TST noi gung
They are good basic exercises and with instruction may go deeply but as shown on the tapes and books are not very profound

Dr. Fish mentioned this in a previous Steve Cotter thread. It is not them but rather the way they were taught.
"It was already late. Night stood murkily over people, and no one else pronounced words; all that could be heard was a dog barking in some alien village---just as in olden times, as if it existed in a constant eternity." Andrey Platonov
Taste of Death
Wuji

Postby wayne hansen on Mon Aug 01, 2016 5:10 pm

What are you referring to when you say
It's not them but rather the way they were taught
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby Taste of Death on Mon Aug 01, 2016 7:08 pm

wayne hansen wrote:What are you referring to when you say
It's not them but rather the way they were taught

Re: Steve Cotter Hsing-I
Postby kenneth fish on Mon May 27, 2013 8:54 am

Just an aside: The way he is showing his Xingyi is pretty much the way he was taught. Xu Hongji made significant adjustments to the mechanics of the Yizong Xingyi, and that is how Xu's students teach it. The leap from dragon posture to dragon posture is very common in Hebei and Shandong Xingyi. - it is one of several variations of the dragon and has specific training benefits. AFAIK Hong Yixiang (and Hong's students, including Xu) only learned/trained this aspect of dragon.

Postby wayne hansen on Mon May 27, 2013 5:54 pm

kenneth fish wrote:
Just an aside: The way he is showing his Xingyi is pretty much the way he was taught. Xu Hongji made significant adjustments to the mechanics of the Yizong Xingyi, and that is how Xu's students teach it. The leap from dragon posture to dragon posture is very common in Hebei and Shandong Xingyi. - it is one of several variations of the dragon and has specific training benefits. AFAIK Hong Yixiang (and Hong's students, including Xu) only learned/trained this aspect of dragon.

I don't know how often Steve trains his hsing I
He is certainly fit and can go much higher in dragon than I ever did.
However I think is trying to show his physical dexterity to a gym crowd rather than the function of the form

Postby kenneth fish on Mon May 27, 2013 8:41 pm

That was not the point of my post - I was pointing out that he was simply demonstrating it as he had learned it, and if some felt it was deficient it was a reflection of how the set was taught.

Postby wayne hansen on Tue May 28, 2013 7:36 pm

i dont know who he trained with after mike patterson but i have seen mike do it and that is not the way mike does it
Taste of Death
Wuji

Postby jjy5016 on Tue Aug 09, 2016 1:04 am

Distance learning? Really? Good luck.

From experience there seem to be too many things the teacher needs to be able to see and feel in your body. The 4 tu na exercises alone will change as your insides change. You might get better flexibility in your hips, shoulders and lower back, but will you reap the benefits that are supposed to come from these exercises by learning long distance? Not impossible but realistically highly unlikely.

Just my opinion though. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.
"I kew evibady. I squeegee him - like dis. STAND me?"
I'm always careful to lift the seat when IP
jjy5016
Great Old One

Postby Bob on Tue Aug 09, 2016 5:18 am

Thanks Chud - if you have any questions please send me an email.

Generally I would agree with the remarks about on-line learning but sweeping generalizations don't capture those who have already trained deeply in other "internal" systems.

Too much magical thinking regarding the outcomes of internal training - many practitioners I have met over the years have too high expectations what internal training can do for them. When I see Master Gao Daosheng, praying mantis from Taiwan, and how he performed at his age I have to rethink what this "internal" training is all about.
Last edited by Bob on Tue Aug 09, 2016 11:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
Bob
Great Old One

Postby Mianbao shifu on Mon Aug 22, 2016 1:21 pm

Thanks for all the info, sorry I did not respond sooner, been out of the country and returned to eye surgery.
Mianbao shifu
Santi

Next

Return to Request a Teacher