Hong Kong

Request a teacher near you. Any school opening notices are also posted here.

Hong Kong

Postby pingpo on Wed May 10, 2017 3:13 pm

Going to be moving to Hong Kong in next couple of weeks. Any recommendations for Yang style Tai Chi and Yiquan?
I've spent a few years studying Yang style in london with John Ding and have been trying to find a contact for Mary Yang, does anyone have a contact for her or know if she is still teaching and has any regular classes.
Thanks in advance for any info
Last edited by pingpo on Wed May 10, 2017 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pingpo
Santi

Re: Hong Kong

Postby nicklinjm on Thu May 11, 2017 1:21 am

Can't help on the Yang style taiji front, but I know there are a couple of people teaching Yiquan in HK, specifically:

1. C S Tang, http://cstang.www3.50megs.com/index_en.html Very well known teacher in HK, teaches mainly Gao style bagua but also dragon fist, Yiquan and Taichi. AFAIK his Yiquan mostly comes from Han Xingyuan line, but think he has also visited other teachers.

2. Ng Chi-hang, https://sites.google.com/site/yiquanintro/yi-quan-ke-cheng He is a disciple of Yip Hei-sing, who was one of the senior students of Han Xingyuan in HK. He has been featured on a couple of HK documentaries about Yiquan. Contact details on his website.

I am also interested in Yiquan and will be in HK next month - if you are planning to visit either of the teachers above maybe we could go together?
nicklinjm
Wuji

Postby Steve Rowe on Thu May 11, 2017 2:25 am

Best way to get to Mary Yang is through Jim Uglow - he's a good guy, PM me and I'll give you his number.
If you see someone without a smile - give 'em one of yours...
Steve Rowe
Wuji

Postby Fubo on Sun Jun 04, 2017 4:17 pm

If you're interested in Yang style in HK, I'd recommend searching out Hui Kuk Chan or Shui Hung Lam. Both long time students of Ip Tai Tak, Hui Kuk Chan studied the longest with Ip out of all of his students and is the best example of what he taught.
Last edited by Fubo on Sun Jun 04, 2017 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fubo
Wuji

Postby TrainingDummy on Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:20 pm

I'm currently living in Mid Levels, let me know if you'd like a training partner for pushing and stance training.
TrainingDummy
Great Old One

Postby swaggyp.hk on Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:22 pm

In Tsim Sha Tsui, there is an old school famous teacher named Chan Jing Zhong. He's famous for Yiquan and Chen Tai chi.

PM me if you want to look him up. My friend goes to his class and can take you there
swaggyp.hk
Santi

Postby lineofintent on Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:56 am

Hi Nick

I met and did some training with Master Yip Hei Sing many years ago, he was quite skilled , is he still alive?

I actually watched Master Han's group when I was very young in HK but had no idea who he was or what they were doing, if I had I would have tried to talk to him instead of just watching from a distance and mimiking the standing postures to try and feel what on earth it was about!
lineofintent
Wuji

Postby nicklinjm on Thu Feb 28, 2019 6:03 pm

@Alex, you met Yip Hei Sing?! Wow, would be interested on any comments you have on his skill (PM is fine also).

Unfortunately Yip passed away in 2005, the main teachers in HK for Yiquan are some of his disciples - however the level / refinement of the skill varies, some of the teachers are very 'angular', don't display the smooth, snakelike power of good Yiquan. Have heard good things about his senior disciple Sum Siu Po (沈少保).

Just my .02, YMMV, etc.
nicklinjm
Wuji

Postby lineofintent on Fri Mar 01, 2019 3:54 pm

hi Jon (not Nik, I just realised....)

Yes he was quite skillful with pushing/sticking, had the fine vibration feeling which i felt in a few mainland Yi Quan men, talked and demoed the six directions force with tiny redirections of my arms and center each time i went for his center.

I recall he was quite alert and sprightly for an old man, nice humour and didnt have the overt aggression i found with many Yi Quan mainland guys.

I actually put a photo of him and some memories in one of my old books, will have to try and find it.
lineofintent
Wuji

Return to Request a Teacher