Pramek and Sambo in Detroit

Request a teacher near you. Any school opening notices are also posted here.

Pramek and Sambo in Detroit

Postby Tom on Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:43 pm

For anyone living in or passing through Detroit, Michigan, I'd like to highlight a quiet but skilled and dedicated teacher of biomechanically efficient movement and grappling arts named David Dempsey, who is well worth training with.

David has a long and varied background in combative arts, including experience with the US Army and its evolving unarmed combatives program, a variety of the Chinese arts including training with the Tang Shou Tao school and with Tim Cartmell, and currently Russian Sambo (sport and combat) and Brazilian jiu jitsu. David's training and how he structures his teaching is strongly informed by the Pramek approach of Matt Powell, who trained with the Kadochnikov school in Russia with its emphasis on biomechanically efficient and combatively effective movement. Philosophically, David's teaching also places a strong emphasis on the element of "aliveness" in combative training as espoused by Matt Thornton of Straight Blast Gym.

If I lived in the Detroit area, I'd train with David. For anyone who might be interested, here is David's contact information:

David Dempsey
Detroit Combat Sambo Club
www.sambodetroit.com
[email protected]
(313) 908-0467
Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward.

---Vernon Law
Tom
Administrator

Return to Request a Teacher