Baguazhang in Seattle and western Washington state

Request a teacher near you. Any school opening notices are also posted here.

Baguazhang in Seattle and western Washington state

Postby Tom on Fri Mar 06, 2009 6:37 pm

People in western Washington state have more choices for baguazhang training than ever before:

Cheng Tinghua baguazhang
Sun Lutang style (via Sun Jianyun and Tim Cartmell)

Jake Burroughs
Three Harmonies Martial Arts
www.threeharmonies.com
[email protected]
206-941-3232

Cheng Tinghua baguazhang
Gao Yisheng style (via Wu Guozheng)

Warren Fox
c/o Crossfit Tacoma
www.crossfittacoma.com
[email protected]
253-310-1940

Yin Fu baguazhang
Men Baozhen style (via Xie Peiqi and He Jinbao)

Ryan Bergsma (trains with Richard Miller)
www.northwestbagua.com
[email protected]
360-739-4441

Liang Zhenpu baguazhang
Li Ziming line (via Vince Black and North American Tang Shou Tao Association)

Matt Stern
[email protected]
206-999-6585

Cheng Tinghua baguazhang
Liu Bin line (via Liu Xinghan and Wang Wenkuie)

Zhang Jie
www.baguazhangzhangjie.com
[email protected]
206-368-0699

Cheng Tinghua baguazhang
Influences from Wang Shujin, Sun Xikun (via T. Y. Pang), and Liu Bin (via Zhang Jie)

Andy Dale and Joel Hartshorne
www.wuji.com
[email protected]
206-234-8794

Cheng Tinghua baguazhang
Li Cunyi style
Liu Bin/Nine Palaces style (via Zhang Jie)

Chang Wuna and Li Meihui
[email protected]
206-498-6360

Cheng Tinghua baguazhang
Influences from various lines

Harrison Moretz
Taoist Studies Institute
www.taoiststudiesinstitute.org
[email protected]
206-784-5632
Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward.

---Vernon Law
Tom
Administrator

Re: Baguazhang in Seattle and western Washington state

Postby gretel on Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:42 pm

my goodness!

gretel
gretel
Great Old One

Postby edededed on Sun Mar 08, 2009 9:26 pm

That is quite a lot of baguazhang, especially in one area (in the States). Zhang Jie's influence seems somewhat wide? :D
edededed
Great Old One

Postby JAB on Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:19 pm

Thanks Tom. Anyone with an open mind, and positive attitude is always welcome to drop me a line!
Cheers
Jake
JAB

Postby Mr.Blond on Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:05 pm

Master Chang, Wu Na(or Zhang, Wu Na) is pretty good. I trained with him for a while in Wudang Baguazhang. His system is basically a blend of the bagua passed down from Wudang masters Ma, Jie and Qian Timing, along with the training in Beijing Baguazhang with several masters, particularly Gao Jiwu. As far as the lineage on his website, I asked him about that. It wasn't written by him and is incorect. He doesn't teach Li Cunyi Baguazhang, but instead teaches Wudang Baguazhang. Last time I heard, he was working on changing the info on his website. It hasn't been done yet though.
I know he's had some contact with Zhang, Jie, but their bagua is totally different. Zhang, Jie's bagua is spent walking EXTREMELY slowly the entire time of one's training and very little explanation is put into fighting techniques. Also, if you want to learn anything, you have to take the private lessons with him which cost $100 per hour. Each lesson you can only learn one movement and the rest is spent on review. Sometimes, he even cuts the time short if he has other things going on.
Master Chang makes students walk slow in the beginning, but after a while they learn to move fast. Also every class ends with fighting techniques. Master Chang is very good in fighting. He knows Zhang, Jie and at one point Master Chang's gong fu sister Lu, Mei-hui was going to help Zhang, Jie with his book, but that ended up not happening. They have some forms in common that Master Chang has trained with Zhang, Jie, but he learned them elsewhere as well when he was training in Beijing. Besides, the two masters do them differently.
I suggest checking out Master Chang's school for some good bagua, but don't pay too much attention to his website for now;)

- Mr. Blond
Mr.Blond
Santi

Postby edededed on Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:10 pm

Baguazhang from Wudang apparently came from Fu Jianqiu, who was a disciple of Li Cunyi - so I guess that is where the connection came from?
edededed
Great Old One

Postby Orpheus on Sat Mar 14, 2009 1:36 am

edededed wrote:Baguazhang from Wudang apparently came from Fu Jianqiu, who was a disciple of Li Cunyi - so I guess that is where the connection came from?

In this case, I think Wudang is just a name. Wu Na Chang's teachers are in Beijing and Tianjin as far as my knowledge goes.
Orpheus
Anjing

Postby WNC on Thu Apr 23, 2015 6:11 pm

I'd like to add some things. First, the Wudang Academy in Seattle primarily teaches the bagua of Gao Jiwu with some Wudang bagua from Ma Jie thrown in as well. Second, if you're interested in Cheng Pai Bagua, then Zhang Jie would be a great choice. Yes he charges high, but that's mostly for private lessons and the price is no worse than anyone else charges. He is a good and honorable man and very knowledgeable in what he does.
WNC
Santi

Postby .Q. on Mon May 18, 2015 3:37 pm

Don't know about the Bagua but I kind of checked out the Xingyi class from Wudangpai (Chang Wuna) and it's definitely good, practical stuff. Dr. Li Meihui is also a very nice person and seemed genuinely interested in students' learning. I didn't end up going there due to some other reasons (wasn't looking for Xingyi/Bagua to begin with) but I don't think anyone will be disappointed based on what I've seen.
.Q.
Wuji

Postby Orpheus on Mon May 18, 2015 5:51 pm

Just an update. Andy Dale's website is now
http://www.wuji.us.com/
Orpheus
Anjing

Postby shawnsegler on Fri May 22, 2015 10:33 am

Don't forget if you're in the south and come to Portland OR regularly for whatever reason, we have Mighty, Mighty Matt Autrey and the PDX Gao crew.

Just sayin! ;D

http://yizongwest.blogspot.ca/

Best,

S
I prefer
You behind the wheel
And me the passenger
shawnsegler
Great Old One

Postby Tom on Sat Sep 03, 2016 7:11 pm

Dennis Mace teaches Chengshi baguazhang in north Seattle on Saturday and Sunday 11:00 a.m.-12:30 p.m., and Tuesday and Thursday 7:00-8:00 p.m. http://www.macemartialarts.com or 206-440-9187.

Philip D. teaches Gao Yisheng's baguazhang and Hebei xingyiquan from the Taiwan Yizong school (Luo Dexiu) on Sundays at 10:30 a.m. in southeast Seattle (Rainier Beach). http://www.baguasf.wordpress.com or [email protected].

I've recently had the pleasure of observing both of these low-key gents teaching. Clear instruction, thorough imparting of details to the student, demanding serious attention while simultaneously having fun, and skill at using what they teach--Dennis and Philip are welcome resources for Seattle-area CIMAs.

And I'll second Shawn's endorsement of Matt Autrey in PDX.

[edited to update e-mail]
Last edited by Tom on Wed Sep 07, 2016 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward.

---Vernon Law
Tom
Administrator

Return to Request a Teacher