Houston

Request a teacher near you. Any school opening notices are also posted here.

Houston

Postby Muad'dib on Mon Sep 21, 2009 2:35 am

anyone I should look at?
I am no longer allowed to make statements regarding international politics in a public forum.
Muad'dib
Great Old One

Re: Houston

Postby Michael on Tue Sep 22, 2009 6:57 am

Oh no, you're moving to the armpit of Texas! Too bad you're not going to Austin.
Michael

Postby Muad'dib on Tue Sep 22, 2009 4:43 pm

Everyone seems to have such nice things to say. thanks for the encouragement.
I am no longer allowed to make statements regarding international politics in a public forum.
Muad'dib
Great Old One

Postby mrtoes on Tue Sep 22, 2009 4:49 pm

They've got big roads there. And it's bloody hot. Enjoy :)

Matthew.
mrtoes
Wuji

Postby bustr on Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:47 pm

Zhong_Kui wrote:anyone I should look at?

The Houston Stick Fighting Association

Eric "Top Dog" Knauss lives is Houston now and is an officer in this association.

http://www.houstonstickfighting.org/

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/group ... 2887026099

Other than that I've heard good things about Victor Cheng, Henry Poo Yee, Maing Yul Jung. There are probably a thousand martial arts schools in Houston. If you go to google maps, zoom into the area and type in martial arts you'll see what I mean.
bustr

Postby Muad'dib on Wed Sep 23, 2009 6:23 am

Google was my first stop. I stopped reading it after the first 100 mcdojos though. Your info is helpful.
Muad'dib
Great Old One

Postby Orpheus on Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:17 am

I studied with Maing Yul Jung for about five years. He has some good stuff, but you'll also bleed money studying with him.
I would only recommend him if you had never studied CMA. You would learn some solid basics, nothing more.

Sorry you had to move to the wasteland. I lived there for 12 years. For a city of 4 million, you think they would have better quality CMA.

Go to Leon's in Galveston. The best ribs I've ever had. I miss three things about Houston. Friends, family, and food. Fuck the rest of the city.
Orpheus
Anjing

Postby Michael on Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:40 am

Sorry that I don't know his name, but Doc Stier studied with a Chen stylist there and said he was very good. PM the Doc and he'll tell you.
Michael

Postby Doc Stier on Wed Sep 23, 2009 1:17 pm

Michael wrote:Sorry that I don't know his name, but Doc Stier studied with a Chen stylist there and said he was very good. PM the Doc and he'll tell you.

Cheng Jin-Cai (Chen Style TCC), Henry Poo Yee (SPM), Shi Xing Hao (Shaolin), and Jeff Bolt (Northern Long Fist & Southern White Crane) are but a few of the many competent CMA teachers in the Houston metro area.

http://www.chenstyletaichi.com/

http://www.ckfa.com/yee.shtml

http://www.houstonshaolin.com/shaolin-k ... cademy.htm

http://www.bridgesmartialarts.com/jbolt.htm
Last edited by Doc Stier on Wed Sep 23, 2009 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"First in the Mind and then in the Body."
Doc Stier
Great Old One

Postby Michael on Wed Sep 23, 2009 6:11 pm

I've seen Henry Poo Yee during the Masters Demo at the Legacy Kung-Fu Tournament and he looked good. Definitely a stand-out on that particular stage, IMO.
Michael

Postby Peacedog on Sun Sep 27, 2009 10:07 am

xxxxxxxxxxx
Last edited by Peacedog on Fri Sep 30, 2016 5:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Peacedog
Great Old One

Postby hopgarsansau on Sun Sep 27, 2009 11:56 am

just replying to the whole "wasteland" deal.

There are more than a few competent teachers coming from Chinatown. My old Sifu Eugene Chou for one, a true fighter of the GBT ba gua system. The only thing is a lot of these masters are businessmen and professionals of other trades, many of them don't open up a school at all. There is a Bak Mei/ Lung Ying guy, as well as a Fukien White Crane guy who works at a bank. a Hung Kuen stylist runs a import shop in Chinatown, etc.
hopgarsansau
Mingjing

Postby chud on Sun Sep 27, 2009 10:19 pm

My brother used to live in Houston and I got to love the city over the years as I visited him. There are lots of great restaurants, and lots of fun things to do.
I have a buddy who lives in Katy who teaches Xingyi (TST style), and he is also studying Sun Style Bagua with someone there, can't remember who, but when I find the name I'll edit my post and let you know.
chud
Great Old One

Postby bustr on Mon Sep 28, 2009 7:29 pm

Houston is great except for the traffic. If anyone thinks Houston is a wasteland they should try living in Beaumont. It's 20 times smaller but the traffic is worse. There is a deep water port but the city lacks any kind of international flavor. Or maybe try Orange; Third highest crime rate in Texas and only 30,000 residents. Very few martial arts schools between Houston, Texas and Lafayette, Louisiana. Of course you've got good BJJ schools and the ever present franchise tkd belt mills but very little in the way of CMA and the ones you do find are well off the I-10 corridor. East of Houston people are only interested in those activities that are promoted by Wal Mart (fishing, golf etc.). But even if you're a redneck Houston still has more to offer; Pro football and a drag strip and more Academies and Gander Mountains.
bustr

Postby Michael on Wed Sep 30, 2009 3:42 am

Not to mention the annual parade of bizarre vehicles. Sort of like a mini-burning man on wheels.
Michael

Next

Return to Request a Teacher