Wu Tai Chi in Portland OR?

Request a teacher near you. Any school opening notices are also posted here.

Wu Tai Chi in Portland OR?

Postby Fu Mei on Wed Jun 11, 2008 3:02 pm

Are there any Wu Tai Chi teachers in or near Portland Oregon?
Fu Mei
Huajing

Re: Wu Tai Chi in Portland OR?

Postby Fu Mei on Wed Jun 11, 2008 6:53 pm

Yes. Circular.
Fu Mei
Huajing

Postby cdobe on Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:01 am

I found this: (Can't recommend it personally though).
http://www.omaa.cmasdirect.com/site/view/54852_Home.pml

The problem with this school is that they don't give accurate information about their lineage. The instructor states that he studied with "Wu Tai-chein, 1905-1985" who is supposed to be a son of Wu Jianquan and younger brother to Wu Gongyi and Wu Gongzao. I've been researching the history of the art meticulously for many years now and I have never come across this third son. I suppose he means Jianquan's grandson Wu Daxin (吳大新) who lived 1933-2005. http://www.wustyle.com/en/db/person.php?cid=9998

Maybe lineage doesn't mean anything to you, but if he invents a person who never existed or he doesn't even know that his teacher died 20 years later, there's something seriously wrong. He should clarify this, before you even consider studying there.

CD
cdobe
Great Old One

Postby Fu Mei on Thu Jun 12, 2008 7:44 am

Thank you for the information. I had seen this site before. Lineage is important to me.
Fu Mei
Huajing

Postby shawnsegler on Thu Jun 12, 2008 9:44 am

If you're in portland you should really go learn with jamie...he's really the best taiji guy around here that I've heard any tell of, he teaches yang and sun styles.

I think there is a guy who teaches wu style at one of the churches in the NE, but I don't know anything about him.

And there's always that Lonnie Neer guy who teaches in Bend and comes out to Portland sometimes. He's pretty good at Gongbaotian Baguaquan. :)

S
I prefer
You behind the wheel
And me the passenger
shawnsegler
Great Old One

Postby zenshiite on Sun Jun 15, 2008 6:07 pm

While we're talking about Portland Oregon. I'm looking for some Ba Gua in the area. I was also considering Gregory Fong for I Chuan. Anyone know anything about him?
"The powers that be don't give a shit!" - Raybeez RIP
zenshiite
Wuji

Postby jaime on Sun Jun 15, 2008 9:06 pm

Thanks Shawn.

Fu Mei, while looking for your Wu style come to the park and push around. We're around most weekend at Laurelhurst. (except the weekend of 21 - 22). zenshiite - Wanna try Sun bagua?
jaime
Santi

Postby Fu Mei on Mon Jun 16, 2008 12:59 pm

S,

Thank you for the information.

Jaime,

Thank you for the invitation.
Fu Mei
Huajing

Postby zenshiite on Mon Jun 16, 2008 6:42 pm

jaime wrote:Thanks Shawn.

Fu Mei, while looking for your Wu style come to the park and push around. We're around most weekend at Laurelhurst. (except the weekend of 21 - 22). zenshiite - Wanna try Sun bagua?

I'll still be pursuing my study of Cheng style with my teacher who lives in SoCal too. Would doing both at the same time get me off course at all or compliment do you think?
zenshiite
Wuji

Postby qiphlow on Mon Jun 16, 2008 7:49 pm

zenshiite wrote:While we're talking about Portland Oregon. I'm looking for some Ba Gua in the area. I was also considering Gregory Fong for I Chuan. Anyone know anything about him?

based on an examination of his website, he looks like he's worth checking out. he's got some good ideas in his articles. you may want to ask john medurga (jjy5016) about it, also. john seems to know most of the major yiquan players and their reputations.
esoteric voodoo wizard
qiphlow
Great Old One

Postby zenshiite on Tue Jun 17, 2008 5:45 pm

Thanks guys. Much appreciated.
zenshiite
Wuji

Postby shawnsegler on Thu Jun 19, 2008 7:06 am

On a fun note...looks like I've got sundays off now and can start coming back to the park on sundays.

Need to try some stuff out that I've been working on.

S
I prefer
You behind the wheel
And me the passenger
shawnsegler
Great Old One

Postby jaime on Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:04 am

bring it on Shawn. I am out of town this weekend however ( fishing, crabbing and general R&R at Sequim)
jaime
Santi

Postby CaliG on Sun Jul 13, 2008 9:31 pm

I've heard that there is no Wu style TJQ in Portland.

I wouldn't mind living there myself, who knows maybe someday I'll teach there...
CaliG

Postby CaliG on Sun Jul 13, 2008 9:34 pm

cdobe wrote:I found this: (Can't recommend it personally though).
http://www.omaa.cmasdirect.com/site/view/54852_Home.pml

The problem with this school is that they don't give accurate information about their lineage. The instructor states that he studied with "Wu Tai-chein, 1905-1985" who is supposed to be a son of Wu Jianquan and younger brother to Wu Gongyi and Wu Gongzao. I've been researching the history of the art meticulously for many years now and I have never come across this third son. I suppose he means Jianquan's grandson Wu Daxin (吳大新) who lived 1933-2005. http://www.wustyle.com/en/db/person.php?cid=9998

Maybe lineage doesn't mean anything to you, but if he invents a person who never existed or he doesn't even know that his teacher died 20 years later, there's something seriously wrong. He should clarify this, before you even consider studying there.

CD

Oops! Spoke too soon.

Oh well, I'm sure the method of training is going to be different anyway.

Just out of curiosity what is it you'd like to learn from the Wu?
CaliG

Next

Return to Request a Teacher