shanghai

Request a teacher near you. Any school opening notices are also posted here.

shanghai

Postby mixjourneyman on Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:40 pm

ok, it may be a little early, but I seem to be getting the thumbs up to go to Shanghai in September. I'll be there for three months at the Shanghai Normal university studying Mandarin and social science related subjects.
I am looking for a few things which some of you might be able to help me with:
1) who do I train with? Who does what in Shanghai? Who is good? Who should I avoid? I'm generally interested in learning Taiji, but I could be convinced to do other styles (am also quite interested in tongbei/pigua if anyone knows anyone).
2) Anyone in or know the American/Canadian/European ex-pats in Shanghai? I know DPG and Shanghai Jay are there. If you guys are still hanging out around the board, you interested in meeting up? Anyone else?
3) anything anyone knows for recommendations concerning lifestyle in Shanghai? I speak a bit of Mandarin already, but obviously getting by in the actual place is quite a bit different from doing a class at school and I don't know much Shanghai hua.

Anyhow, I'm really looking forward to this and I'd be up for meeting whoever is up for meeting me.
I'll also briefly go to Beijing so anyone who would like to meet up there, I'd be down. It would be either in the late summer, or around the middle of December.
Thanks a lot guys

M
mixjourneyman
Great Old One

Re: shanghai

Postby nianfong on Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:56 pm

Gao Tie Niao is absolutely awesome. best pi quan I have ever seen/felt/heard. it makes this insanely loud snapping sound. I'll get you in touch with my buddy who is his disciple.
nianfong
Administrator

Postby gzregorz on Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:38 am

Mandarin will be fine in Shanghai and as far as foreigners go they are everywhere there.

Shanghai is a good place to be if you want to live in the East and still be able to step back into the West.

It's a great city and you'll have lots to explore there.

Three months will go by in a flash in Shanghai.

Be sure to check out the Wu. There is also a lot of xinyi. You might want to ask Jarek about that, he knows a lot about what's going on in his city.
Last edited by gzregorz on Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
"There is more wisdom in your body than in your deepest philosophy." - Friedrich Nietzsche
gzregorz
Wuji

Postby mixjourneyman on Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:05 am

Fong: thanks man, really appreciated!

Gzregorz: nice, thanks for the info. Are you there right now? I'll contact Jarek, I didn't know he was in Shanghai. That is pretty cool. :D
mixjourneyman
Great Old One

Postby MUTANTRENAISSANCE on Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:03 am

yo best of luck on your trip brother cant wait to hear all about it take alot of pictures & do you still train at wudang internal?
8 mother palms burn that ass like napalm
MUTANTRENAISSANCE
Mingjing

Postby mixjourneyman on Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:41 am

MUTANTRENAISSANCE wrote:yo best of luck on your trip brother cant wait to hear all about it take alot of pictures & do you still train at wudang internal?

Thanks.
Yep still train there when I get the chance to come to MTL, my name is James (not giving out last names in public just for safety reasons). Ask master Yang about me, he will tell you some funny stories... :D
mixjourneyman
Great Old One

Postby kenneth fish on Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:12 am

I am particularly fond of the story he tells about you, the stripper, the chicken, and the two nuns....oh, wait a minute, that wasn't you.....
A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything.
Friedrich Nietzsche
kenneth fish
Great Old One

Postby mixjourneyman on Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:40 am

kenneth fish wrote:I am particularly fond of the story he tells about you, the stripper, the chicken, and the two nuns....oh, wait a minute, that wasn't you.....

I did live with two strippers for about a month. That was pretty bizarre and not good :-\
mixjourneyman
Great Old One

Postby mixjourneyman on Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:42 pm

Putting on the sean connery voice: I'll take the rapists for five hundred
Trabeck: Thats therapists.
Sean: I snogged your mother!
mixjourneyman
Great Old One

Postby kenneth fish on Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:11 pm

I dated a former stripper for a while - it was a surreal experience.

Anyway, a Nun, a stripper, and James walk into a bar.......
A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything.
Friedrich Nietzsche
kenneth fish
Great Old One

Postby kenneth fish on Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:11 pm

Remember: You can kiss a nun, but don't get into the habit....
Friedrich Nietzsche
kenneth fish
Great Old One

Postby mixjourneyman on Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:15 pm

kenneth fish wrote:
Anyway, a Nun, a stripper, and James walk into a bar.......

Ouch
mixjourneyman
Great Old One

Postby MUTANTRENAISSANCE on Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:13 pm

Tom wrote:
kenneth fish wrote:Anyway, a Nun, a stripper, and James walk into a bar.......

And the bartender says, "What is this, some kinda joke?"

!!!! oh shit

Anyway, a Nun, a stripper, and James walk into a bar in shanghai.......

and the bartender says SUPPPLLLLIIIIISSEEEEE!!!!!
8 mother palms burn that ass like napalm
MUTANTRENAISSANCE
Mingjing

Postby gzregorz on Sat Feb 27, 2010 1:06 am

mixjourneyman wrote:Gzregorz: nice, thanks for the info. Are you there right now? I'll contact Jarek, I didn't know he was in Shanghai. That is pretty cool. :D

Hi Mix,

I'm Stateside for now. But I don't think I'll be here forever.

DPG Danny and Shanghai Jay are still in Shanghai along with some others who pop onto this board.

My teacher, Shen Tiegen, might be there but lately he's been teaching a lot in Europe.

Good times,

Greg
"There is more wisdom in your body than in your deepest philosophy." - Friedrich Nietzsche
gzregorz
Wuji

Postby Antony Wood on Sat Feb 27, 2010 3:57 am

Hello!

I have been living in Shanghai for almost 4 years now. I train Wu Taiji, Xing Yi, and Qi Xing Tang Lang.

Like Gregory said, Shen Tiegen is a GREAT wu style taiji teacher, but now in Germany.

For Xing Yi, there is master Wang Ji Zhen, who is incredible at 84 years old. He has great neigong skill and teaches solid traditional Hebei Xing Yi. He trains at the sqaure beside the national theater in peoples square every morning starting at 6am. He's expensive though, about 200rmb per hour, but worth it.

Also for Xing Yi in the Chu Gui Ting lineage is his grandson Chu Yue Chen. He is also a great teacher, and trains nest to his home every morning. His teaching style is more martial and faster than master Wang, and also less expensive.

There are a number of schools, but of course its not the same as studying with a teacher privately. If your into bjj, the Shanghai bjj guys are great, and have a big well equiped school. I highly recommend them. They also have mma and stand up classes.

If your into Wing Chun, theres Peters Wing Chung of the Wong Shueng Lung lineage, and Brians Wing Chun of the Lueng Ting lineage. Brian is a great guy and a great fighter. He teaches in several different schools around town.

If your into Tang Lang, I teach a small but hardy group on Mon, Thurs, and Sat evenings in Xuhue district. My training is very hands on and combat oriented, lots of partner drills, pad work, applications, and sparring.

Well, thats about all I can think of now. When you get into town, give me a ring at 15661522089. I would be happy to meet up and talk gongfu!

Take care and best of luck,

Antony Wood
Antony Wood
Anjing

Next

Return to Request a Teacher