shanghai

Request a teacher near you. Any school opening notices are also posted here.

Re: shanghai

Postby Haoran on Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:33 pm

sure, no problem
Haoran
Wuji

Postby gzregorz on Fri Mar 05, 2010 5:50 pm

Hi Bill,

I've seen those xingyi guys in zhong shan park they were all holding santi.

They looked pretty solid to me.

Who are they?
"There is more wisdom in your body than in your deepest philosophy." - Friedrich Nietzsche
gzregorz
Wuji

Postby Haoran on Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:20 pm

Hey Gregory, You're talking about in that little Cypress grove in the middle of the park, right? I don't know the guy's name but he's very well known I believe. I had heard he was expensive and when in Shanghai my salary was not so good so I never approached him.
Haoran
Wuji

Postby gzregorz on Sat Mar 06, 2010 12:25 pm

Haoran wrote:Hey Gregory, You're talking about in that little Cypress grove in the middle of the park, right? I don't know the guy's name but he's very well known I believe. I had heard he was expensive and when in Shanghai my salary was not so good so I never approached him.

Yeah that would them, looked like something straight out of the bagua journal.
"There is more wisdom in your body than in your deepest philosophy." - Friedrich Nietzsche
gzregorz
Wuji

Postby Josealb on Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:10 pm

Mix, my teacher is over there. Maybe i could get a hold of his school address.
Man carcass in alley this morning...
Josealb
Great Old One

Postby mixjourneyman on Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:26 pm

Josealb wrote:Mix, my teacher is over there. Maybe i could get a hold of his school address.

That would be cool!
Because of the similarity in our school's lineage we have a lot in common with you guys.
It would be rad to see your teacher in action. Judging from the vids of you guys in the DR I bet he is totally awesome! :D
mixjourneyman
Great Old One

Postby HaraldH on Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:18 am

Hi all,

I have recently arrived in Shanghai to work here for a few years and I look for a 'real' taiji quan teacher. I have been working on yang style since thirteen years and also learned some chen style and yiquan. Are there any good teachers for Yang, Chen or Yiquan in Shanghai? I am fine with a more health oriented approach (not new age though), but I'd also like to work on tuishou if possible.

Also, if wu style is the best here, how can I make contact? I speak mandarin fairly well.

I'd very much appreciate any suggestions ...

Harald
HaraldH
Anjing

Postby Haoran on Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:02 am

Hi Harald, The Wu style guys I know meet in people's park across from Raffle City on the weekend and in the mornings. I've met some pretty high level guys there so I think it would be worth your time to check it out. One guy, who is very nice, I don't remember his name, rather young (40s or so?) wears glasses with a medium build, is quite good (IMO), and a good teacher.

From the direction of Raffles' City go in to that park entrance, as you walk in on the left are some park benches and several paths into a Cypress Grove. Pick the second or third path and go in. They start about 7 or 8 I think but after you meet up and if you like it you can find that out for yourself.

Hope this helps,
Haoran
Wuji

Postby Slim on Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:58 pm

HaraldH wrote:Hi all,

I have recently arrived in Shanghai to work here for a few years and I look for a 'real' taiji quan teacher. I have been working on yang style since thirteen years and also learned some chen style and yiquan. Are there any good teachers for Yang, Chen or Yiquan in Shanghai? I am fine with a more health oriented approach (not new age though), but I'd also like to work on tuishou if possible.

Also, if wu style is the best here, how can I make contact? I speak mandarin fairly well.

I'd very much appreciate any suggestions ...

Harald

Hi Harald

It can be tricky to find a good learning situation in China but the fact that you are there for a few years will make all the difference as it takes time to build up the right connections. I would recommend getting to know people as this is the best way to hear about teachers and of course helping with the introductions, and the fact that you speak the hua will help immensely. I don't know Shanghai that well but the park that Haoran mentioned above would be a good place to start (I'm a big fan of Wu Jianquan's stuff), and if you're not looking to train full-time that might be enough. One major thing to be aware of is that the really good stuff is hard to find in the parks (its the equivalent of YMCA Tai Chi here in North America), although some of the fellows with da real skillz can be found to hang out in parks they generally won't show much in public, if these guys are teaching they will have a non-public venue and that's why you'll want to get to know some people (both Chinese and Waiguo Pengyou's ;D ) to find out about these guys and get the introductions.
Slim
Anjing

Postby HaraldH on Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:31 am

Hi Haoran, Slim,

thanks for your help. As I have time on my hands - at least on weekends :( - I"ll try to slowly get to know some people and I"ll have a look at renmin gongyuan.
HaraldH
Anjing

Previous

Return to Request a Teacher