Taiji in Shanghai

Request a teacher near you. Any school opening notices are also posted here.

Taiji in Shanghai

Postby Adam S on Sun May 09, 2010 6:52 am

Anyone know any great people to train with in Shanghai

Mainly looking at Chenshi but open to other things

I know Chen Zhaokui used to teach there but dont know any names or schools to look up
Proud Tree & Qi Hugger
Adam S
Wuji

Re: Taiji in Shanghai

Postby mixjourneyman on Mon May 10, 2010 5:23 pm

hey Adam, when are you in Shanghai?
I'll be there in September through to December. If you are in town I'd love to meet up and push/spar/whatever.
I'm probably going to try to meet some of the Ma Yueliang Wu style camp, since there are supposed to be some good guys from that group in Shanghai.
Might also try to meet Qian Zhaohong for some XYLHQ :D
mixjourneyman
Great Old One

Postby gzregorz on Sat May 15, 2010 5:31 pm

Shen Tiegen, if he's in town.

He spends most of his time in Europe these days.
"There is more wisdom in your body than in your deepest philosophy." - Friedrich Nietzsche
gzregorz
Wuji

Postby Buddy on Sun May 16, 2010 5:18 pm

I've seen vids of Greg with Shen, he's the shit!
Buddy
Great Old One

Postby Adam S on Mon May 17, 2010 4:34 am

thanks guys

Shen Tiegen seems to be based in Hamburg permanently now
looks like a good guy to train with tho!

Mix I will be there in September

If I cant find somewhere to train I may only be there for 4 days

PM me your details before you go if you like
Proud Tree & Qi Hugger
Adam S
Wuji

Postby Sean on Mon May 17, 2010 9:49 am

Adam,
There is still a group of Shen Tiegen's students living in Shanghai, and it would be worth it to get together and train with them. Some of them do some cross training in bjj and mt and do other arts as well, so they're a pretty open-minded group. Great guys all around.

Cheers,
Sean
Sean
Wuji

Postby DPG on Sat May 22, 2010 9:06 am

Hi Adam. There is a teacher from Ma Hong's line who teaches every morning (6:30-9:00am) in Xujiahui Park under the bridge, pretty martial oriented guy. Also, in Luxin (Hong Kou) Park there is a group who also practices every morning towards the front gate (in siquan bei lu), I believe they are from the Chen Zhaokui line. If you have trouble finding the first group of guys, PM me and I can hand you a contact number if you speak Chinese. Good Luck!
DPG
Santi

Postby gzregorz on Sat May 22, 2010 10:42 am

Is Shen going to permanently be in Germany?

I still want to move to Poland, this motivates me all the more.

Good to know there's still a core group in Shanghai mixing it up.
"There is more wisdom in your body than in your deepest philosophy." - Friedrich Nietzsche
gzregorz
Wuji

Postby Haoran on Sat May 22, 2010 6:53 pm

DPG wrote:Hi Adam. There is a teacher from Ma Hong's line who teaches every morning (6:30-9:00am) in Xujiahui Park under the bridge, pretty martial oriented guy. Also, in Luxin (Hong Kou) Park there is a group who also practices every morning towards the front gate (in siquan bei lu), I believe they are from the Chen Zhaokui line. If you have trouble finding the first group of guys, PM me and I can hand you a contact number if you speak Chinese. Good Luck!

Hey Danny, are you talking about the woman (younger, maybe 30s or early 40s) who teaches Chen style in Hongkou park? I think there's a couple of Chen peeps there. There's also a Wu stylist with a few students if you go to the other end of the park (towards Dalian road and SISU) in the big, open area.

There's also Fei Guo Qing in Zhabei park (if he's still there).

Best,

Bill
Haoran
Wuji

Postby DPG on Sat May 22, 2010 8:56 pm

Hi Bill. Hope training is going good for you. I was actually referring to an older man (balding on the top of his head), but I think I know what woman you are referring to. There are quit a few Wu stylist's in Hongkou, the ones I met were primarily from the Wu Gongyi branch.
DPG
Santi

Postby Haoran on Sat May 22, 2010 9:35 pm

DPG wrote:Hi Bill. Hope training is going good for you. I was actually referring to an older man (balding on the top of his head), but I think I know what woman you are referring to. There are quit a few Wu stylist's in Hongkou, the ones I met were primarily from the Wu Gongyi branch.

Hey Danny, yes, training is fine. Doing mostly standing practices right now.

You once asked me about Wang Hanzhi and him being able to teach or not. I recently heard he and Zhang Dugan (his student who was in Italy) are forming some sort of training hall or school to promote Wang Zhuangfei's Bagua in Shanghai. Zhang Dugan is living in Shanghai now as I understand it so the opportunity is ripe for anyone interested in this style. If you or anyone else is interested I could try to find out more information.

Sigh... wish I was back in China... miss it terribly and am envious of you all who are there.

Best,

Bill
Haoran
Wuji

Postby golden-tree on Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:01 pm

Buddy wrote:I've seen vids of Greg with Shen, he's the shit!

He (Shen Tiegen) is in Germany right now!

I think about visiting him, anyone here trained with him? There is not much information about him on the web.

On his Website i read that he also trained in Xinyi Liuhe and Shuaijiao, this could be also interesting stuff :)
Last edited by golden-tree on Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
golden-tree

Postby Shanghaijay on Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:02 am

I have trained and with Mr. Shen for four days a week from 1997 to 2005 and three days a week until he left for Germany in spring of 2009. I was the first student to Tudi under him.

There is not a lot on him because he is probably one of the most understated masters out there.

If you want lineage and Qi magic go see someone else. If you want to see how this stuff really works and you have the patience and perseverance to eat bitter go see him.

Jay
Shanghaijay
Anjing

Postby golden-tree on Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:30 am

Shanghaijay wrote:I have trained and with Mr. Shen for four days a week from 1997 to 2005 and three days a week until he left for Germany in spring of 2009. I was the first student to Tudi under him.

There is not a lot on him because he is probably one of the most understated masters out there.

If you want lineage and Qi magic go see someone else. If you want to see how this stuff really works and you have the patience and perseverance to eat bitter go see him.

Jay

Thanks for your reply Jay!

Sounds very nice :)

Can you say something about his training? I think the Wu Tai Chi is his main branch but for me as a Xing Yi Quan Student the other Stuff sounds very intersting too. Especially a view of another Xinyi branch :)

What do you mean with eat the bitter stuff? Alot basic training? Don't worry i like this ;D
golden-tree

Postby cdobe on Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:37 am

I've met Shen Tiegen just last Sunday in Frankfurt/Germany, where he is currently living. Shen is a very nice person. We've practiced tuishou, dalü and free wrestling together for about three hours. He is very open to play, but not very open to discuss the basic training. Only after I've indicated Wu style indoor exercises myself, were we able to compare and discuss them a little. He demonstrated some interesting forms he had learned, like the san huang pao chui, lan cai hua or the double sword form that he learned fro Wu Yinghua. He also showed chicken stepping from Xinyi.
I would say, that if you visit him once in order to learn some exercises to incorporate into your own practice, you will be very disappointed, because he is not going to show you any. You will have to stay with him and train with him for some time in order to be trained properly.

Where are you located at, golden_tree?
cdobe
Great Old One

Next

Return to Request a Teacher