practitioner help

Request a teacher near you. Any school opening notices are also posted here.

Re: practitioner help

Postby kshurika on Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:53 pm

Hmmmmmmmmmmm. Good point. I've been looking for a good butler, since my last one ran away with Amy Winehouse. Why don't you have Nexus01 give me a call.
kshurika
Wuji

Postby nexus01 on Tue Jun 22, 2010 2:34 pm

i dont know what else to say or rant about, im just posting a question, . the only thing ive done wrong are probably the excuses that i have that all of you keep on prodding to me about. i thought i already did something about my whimsical talking, maybe i only did a bit; well then maybe i'll have to ease off, cool down, and smooth myself out a lot more. jeez, i dont want to be constantly ridiculed for my persistent way of typing (or talking, whatevers your view). i mean you can point out my question and lash at it a bit, but when i give a few more reasons on why a more accessible one or another option would be nice, you have to flay me down on that one, obvious faults that also need their good amount of whipping.
i feel that i shouldnt give my background in explaining why this question is posted the way it is; do i have to be in an arguement, i dont think so, it would clearly do nothing for me, other than what im trying to do now with the involvement of a kuo shu teacher and the daily routine of college
nexus01
Santi

Postby edededed on Tue Jun 22, 2010 5:52 pm

Hmm - my guess is that you perhaps were a Wutan student before, or some other Taiwan lineage at least. :) (I don't think nexus01 is over-doing it, but I'm a softie.)
edededed
Great Old One

Postby nexus01 on Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:04 pm

i just turned 19, right now i'm trying to level my work with community college in the summer, whilst it is that i have to help my parents as well. were low income and they wouldn't in spending their low amount of money on a monthly or weekly payment of any lessons. Now on my part, i've been given a grant, but all of it has to be used education-wise: fees for books, classes, enrollments, student id, together with my transportation on the bus, and food, etc. there's much more that is also done financially for my well-being, but i feel it best to keep it brief on that aspect. i also have to subsidize my parents with money, hence i cant even get with my martial arts which i have woefully placed off for years but thought that maybe this year would be a great start, but it seems more of the same :-\ . We (or I) only have one car, and its not that i don't know how to drive, because although i got the fundamentals, i wouldnt even be able to save my life, while my friends are utterly drunk in the backseat, needing to make it to their 1 bed/1bath houses at 11:00 at night :P (besides, i dont even drink, and they mildly criticize me about that)
i could only deal with about a few lessons if they were accessible here, that its, and getting up to fountain valley would even slimmer except for two saturday sessions. i figure this enough to explain, but i at least thank edededed for seeing me as a wutang student from taiwan, i guess its more or less flattery, but it makes me dream if i was :)
Last edited by nexus01 on Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:12 pm, edited 4 times in total.
nexus01
Santi

Postby edededed on Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:24 pm

Ha ha, guess I was wrong... I just thought it was a bit weird that you say "kuoshu" (that usually is a hallmark of Taiwan-related people).

(Also, "whilst" is a word that few Americans use - seems used only by the British these days.)

Sorry to hear about your financial state - I remember being a poor student once, too - it wasn't fun in terms of not really being able to do what you wanted to do. In those days, I had lots of time but no money - now, I have no time and SOME money (you thought I would say "lots," eh?).

Still, if you are set on learning something, do what you can! Go find the teacher of your dreams, explain your situation but still do your best to pay your dues, too! If you can only have 1 lesson every two months, then try to do that. (One of the good things about being young is vitality, so you can at least practice really hard!)
edededed
Great Old One

Postby nexus01 on Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:49 pm

well thanks, i was feeling really confused when many others started to attack me ??? i felt that lashing back at my newfound peers wouldnt give me satisfaction, respect, or any valid reason to do so, lets just put this mildy that i didnt like at all. well being british, that would send me somewhere else, the "whilst" word just stuck with me, possibly it was in my prepubescent stage that i picked up the word, i guess it does have quite a fancy catch to it ;) Im truly sorry if i utterly or slightly mislead you edededed and everybody else in anyway, it was, of course, unintentional (im no arrogant pushover).

i guess i should've explained much more of myself rather than just posting the question, a bit of some background wouldnt hurt so it is that i can have advice better suited to my situation right now.

im in a real snag, right now and the inflation just drove some more salt into the wound.

plus, i dontwant to have this question in the "been there, done that" section. to me it looks like the posts of shame, forever there, satisfying any berating laughs to anyone who wants to read useless "trolling", and i just figured that word out a day ago :P . i barely got a computer, regardless of desktop or laptop, and when i always use it, i feel a bit outdated, just like much of the senile, infirmed oldsters, there's still much more for me to pick up on,fortunately i dont use it much except for the important stuff, education and CMA.
the kuoshu word i heard was much more appropriate for the TCMA, a meaning for classical wushu, before "kuo" became "wu" in wushu.

sorry everybody for all the inconveniences :(
Last edited by nexus01 on Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
nexus01
Santi

Postby nexus01 on Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:02 pm

i wanted to split my response in two in saying that well i did that about 1 year ago, buck sam kong, i was looking foward to it, hung gar (not to be confused with kuen) was a real breathtaker for me and i tried to offer any services that i could give, remedial or serious,obviously i was turned down, but at least i got a free lesson out of it. i had to hold off CMA aspirations until a year later,here presently, and i thought i would've been given great thresholds, full of opportunities, but its still the same dire problem and i loathe this struggling lucre situation >:( , parents and myself, with the grant i've benn given, i have to put family first and that's it.

i want to ask Mr. Jeffers, but i feel that i should ask you all first or just go for it, even if a day it be nice, heck id be faraway observer, and i have, it was approximately 3 months ago in la chinatown and that was my first and last time, he got mad, i backed away, and i then left to my own devices,simple as that. i didnt know how to ask the toishan-dialect speaking man, but i at least tried to emulate him :)

my biggest fear is if i dont start soon and that it keeps on being put in hiatus, i might be too old, or struggling worse as a freelance in my mid-20s and later. i gotta do with what i have on my privileged youth, being given interminable amounts of vitality, i dont take it for granted anymore, and i want to start as soon as possible, i just dont know how ??? ( i guess, this should've been my first question, huh?)
Last edited by nexus01 on Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
nexus01
Santi

Postby Ron Panunto on Wed Jun 23, 2010 4:55 am

Is your use of a small "i" an affectation of humbleness?
Ron Panunto
Wuji

Postby nexus01 on Wed Jun 23, 2010 1:02 pm

it isn't a psuedo-mannerism of any sort, just a matter of convenience and haste to my typing. apologies Ron
nexus01
Santi

Postby kshurika on Wed Jun 23, 2010 5:11 pm

No one's attacking you. You're the one who needs to attack! In the absence of money (which actually IS a crime in L.A.) you have to be creative. I've lost track of why Sudan Jeffers is your IMA ideal and I'm not knocking it. Have you considered going to him, telling him you're flat broke and that you'll clean his studio top-to-bottom twice a week in exchange for instruction? You'll wash windows, cars, etc. And (here's where things get weird) you actually do the stuff you say you'll do. Also, make the promise that when money comes your way, it'll go his way. This is the old-fashioned method of getting instruction. It might work. It might not. It'll be rough for you. You'll get really tired. But, you'll get the instruction you want...................... maybe.

During the pit of the economic crisis, I had a lot of students who had lost jobs and couldn't come to my classes anymore because they couldn't afford them. I told them that they needed yoga more than ever and that they should come occasionally and sign in as my guests. No one abused the privilege. Lots of them brought me food, movie coupons, or nothing (it didn't matter). The ones who are back working now are all back as paying students.

Try it.
kshurika
Wuji

Postby edededed on Wed Jun 23, 2010 6:29 pm

Actually, most teachers aren't really keen about getting someone to wash their windows, etc. instead of paying money - especially since they don't know this new face who wants to learn his (valuable) stuff. Kshurika had a bit of a different situation, since his once-paying students (that he knew) were faced with economic problems later on.

I'm sure you could scrounge up SOME money somehow - if you want to study with Sudan, perhaps you can tell him your situation, and only come as often as your finances allow you to, until you can make more. Money IS the standard, people want to make a living, and CMA isn't exactly a well-paying job.

If I was a teacher, and someone like you came, I'd probably not teach you, honestly - I don't want to teach just anybody, I don't really know you or know how long you will stick around, and there isn't really much in it for me. If I knew that you were really sincere, that you would stick with me/it, etc., that your situation was really as you say it is - well, maybe, but it is hard to know for sure by just meeting people.

I have seen lots of students (of my teacher) who say that they have no money, etc., and thus they can't pay this month (or whatever) - yet they buy new gadgets, go to expensive parties, etc.... I'm not saying that's the case with you, I'm just saying that it is hard to gauge people in general. (Others, after receiving some kind of certificate, quit right after, apparently being satisfied that they have mastered the art... lots of crazies these days.)
edededed
Great Old One

Postby nexus01 on Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:33 pm

like I said, i can totally pay for it..... for the sum of 5 lessons and less :-\ . Sudan Jeffers seems ideal for me because hes very much accessible, the only one in my area, and Id love to know what he's teaching, but for how long financially is the big problem. I'll have all dues paid without a doubt, once money is really in my favor, rather than getting used for so many other things at once.

I wanted to see if I could find others in order to have more options, but everything turns up with Sudan in my area online, which is why I thought that maybe there are others who are still stuck in the stone age, without a telephone number or some sort of ad to reach them.

the whole idea of acupuncturists/herbalists was given to me as a suggestion, and I looked up for lots of proof on the web, while expanding my knowledge on the CMAs, and i read many stories about it, so i thought that maybe i could give a try if I wanted in some sort of direction, but its much harder to do. I know it sounds all like fantasized bologna, and it ran through my head many times, but I wanted to give it a try, and shook off these doubtful thoughts.
I'll definitely ask Mr. Jeffers in a bit, see if he can offer me anything
believe me, I wouldn't give up my opportunity and walk away i would latch onto you like a swarm of flies on a fresh batch of dung ;) but hey, like they say: talk is cheap, prove it
I"m not an avid spender, its just books,classes,bus,food, parents,etc. every valid necessity right now that's draining my chances. I just simply feel that no more time should be wasted.
Last edited by nexus01 on Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nexus01
Santi

Postby JAB on Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:51 am

Think of all the time you have wasted here at RSF asking for help and then creating a list of excuses why you CANT do something, where you could be making a few extra bucks to afford more then 5 this' or 6 thats'!!

JAB
JAB

Previous

Return to Request a Teacher