Cheng style in Vancouver

Request a teacher near you. Any school opening notices are also posted here.

Cheng style in Vancouver

Postby dannie.yachimec on Fri Aug 13, 2010 3:20 pm

I will move to Vancouver next month, does anyone know any good Ba Gua teacher there?
I prefer Cheng style.
Thank you,
dannie.yachimec
Santi

Re: Cheng style in Vancouver

Postby Slim on Fri Aug 13, 2010 3:31 pm

There is a lot of CMA here in the Vancouver area (especially Richmond), so you should have no problem finding something that works for you. As far as Cheng style, off the top of my head, I've heard Wilson Wu is good. I've met him a few times, and he seems like an enthusiastic teacher, but I really don't know much about his level of skill. If anyone else pops into my mind I'll let you know. Good luck.

Slim
Slim
Anjing

Postby Slim on Fri Aug 13, 2010 3:34 pm

PS you could also get in touch with Meeks, who is an administrator here on RSF. I seem to recall he does Bagua and is over in the North Vancouver area.
Slim
Anjing

Postby dannie.yachimec on Fri Aug 13, 2010 3:39 pm

Thank you for your help.
I have seen Wilson Wu's video before, it looks interesting.
Do you know where to find Meeks's video?
I would like to see some video of him first and then I will show it to my present teacher.
dannie.yachimec
Santi

Postby meeks on Fri Aug 13, 2010 4:27 pm

Hi Dannie,

thanks for your interest in Vancouver Bagua. If you're interested in checking us out, just come by and jump in the mix, but I'm currently not looking for new students - we're full to capacity at our club, unless you're interested in only attending Sunday morning throwing classes. If you're in law enforcement then we can discuss your eligibility for a different class with a different group. We don't do forms at our bagua school - it's strictly applications, which is the way I was taught bagua with another classmate. I only show a couple of palm changes as an aside to our regular training.

Where are you currently training, and under which person? The reason I ask is it's not often that people ask for Cheng style by name, usually it's 'kung fu' or 'chinese martial arts' or 'bagua' (in general). Plus with all that's been happening on the board lately I'm pretty weary of guys registering on the forum and suddenly asking about particular styles in exact regions and asking for videos to present to other people - hope you understand my viewpoint - if you've been following all the troll baiting in the last month you'd know exactly why. Posting "cheng bagua in Vancouver" just had reeeeally bizarre timing on it, especially for your very...first.....post. ;)
Last edited by meeks on Fri Aug 13, 2010 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The power of Christ compels you!" *spank*
now with ADDED SMOOTHOSITY! ;D
meeks
Administrator

Postby JAB on Sat Aug 14, 2010 7:14 am

Meeks
When do you teach form, or don't you?
Not sure of why you are so paranoid either, did I miss something??

Cheers
JAB
JAB

Postby meeks on Sat Aug 14, 2010 10:14 am

yes, you definitely missed something. deciding that forms are not as important to my club as training to use bagua is not paranoia (it's bad business sense...;) ).
if you were referring to not having a video online with forms, well, I've always said forms are secondary to our training, so I'm just repeating myself - we don't do forms. Why you would choose the word 'paranoia' leaves me scratching my head. If by paranoia you mean you've no idea what my comments about Dannie's timing refer to then where the hell have you been lately??!

So should I assume that since you are a kickboxer you are paranoid of forms? Are there any videos of you online doing forms?
Last edited by meeks on Sat Aug 14, 2010 10:30 am, edited 3 times in total.
meeks
Administrator

Postby JAB on Sun Aug 15, 2010 7:36 am

Meeks
I did not know I was labeled a "kickboxer!?" I do believe there is a video or two floating around of me doing some mantis back in the day.

Relax a bit brother, I agree that usage is more important then form. I guess I have stayed out of the "troll baiting" as of late and honestly do not know what you are talking about.

But to answer more directly... I think the "paranoia" (for lack of a better term) about taping, video's online, etc. is overblown. Everyone is a critic so in the end who cares what someone says especially about forms!? Video's of forms bore me 99% of the time, and for those who put SO much value into learning "secret" forms... I say good day and have fun eating your time up learning online!

Cheers
JAB
JAB

Postby meeks on Sun Aug 15, 2010 1:34 pm

JAB wrote: Relax a bit brother, I agree that usage is more important then form. I guess I have stayed out of the "troll baiting" as of late and honestly do not know what you are talking about.

i think the first 5 threads in btdt during the last 6 weeks are all about the infighting between all the new guys (particularly in Montreal) with Yang Hai and some other dude, although it seems to finally be ebbing....guys were getting banned then re-registering under new names and jumping back into the foray. so we've been swinging the big ban stick lately but there's been back n forth even from some beginners in our old school as well that have joined. other than acting like a condescending diva it's nothing to get banned over though. so like I was saying, Daniel's timing with a very first post on the forum ever being something specific - saying something like "so I can present it to my teacher" left me scratching my head as it was so similar to the Montreal foray it was almost unreal.
Last edited by meeks on Sun Aug 15, 2010 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
meeks
Administrator

Postby JAB on Sun Aug 15, 2010 6:36 pm

I choose not to enter into those silly pissing contests, so I apologize I was unaware of such BS afoot!

Cheers
Jake
JAB

Postby karlson on Mon Aug 16, 2010 5:35 am

karlson
Huajing

Postby lianhuan on Thu Sep 02, 2010 3:39 pm

dannie.yachimec wrote:I will move to Vancouver next month, does anyone know any good Ba Gua teacher there?
I prefer Cheng style.
Thank you,

Hi dannie,

I just noticed your post. FWIW - like many other places in the world Vancouver has some of the most malicious "tongue-war" kung fu that you will ever experience!

Considering the bold-faced lies and the intentional misrepresentations that you are sure to encounter here, I suggest you check out the schools (including mine) in person. The best advice I can give you is to talk to the instructors themselves to see what they're really about. To do otherwise is probably going to be a fools errand around here.

BTW, I teach a type of Cheng Shi Baguazhang as well as Zhaquan. My school is one of the most respected in Vancouver. My students range from young adults, to law-enforcement officers, to Sanshou champions, to those in their 60's just looking for some entertainment. Kung Fu is a big house and I try to help everyone find what they are looking for. Follow the link below this post for contact info.

Anyway, I look forward to meeting with you when you're ready.

Cheers,
lianhuan
lianhuan
Anjing

Return to Request a Teacher