One day only! Act now! Limited time offer!

Post internal martial arts seminars, events, retreats, tournaments, and informal meet-ups here.

One day only! Act now! Limited time offer!

Postby kenneth fish on Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:28 pm

I will have a free day in San Francisco on April 19th. If anyone is interested I would like to teach out the following: The first section of the Muscle Changing Classic as taught to me by Abbot Heng Yueh. The first section of the Ten Celestial Stems as taught by Master Zhang Jun Feng. About a half a dozen Shaolin/TCMA jiben gong. That's about 2 1/2 - 3 hours time to teach out. I will pass the hat afterwards. I will give details off the board to those interested in attending.
A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything.
Friedrich Nietzsche
kenneth fish
Great Old One

Re: One day only! Act now! Limited time offer!

Postby shawnsegler on Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:59 pm

I'd be there in a heartbeat if if I was down there.

For anyone who's on the fence about it, I had the good luck to sit in on one of Dr. Fish's classes once and his knowledge is vast and deep. Highly recommended!

My 2c.

Best wishes, and good luck!

S
Last edited by shawnsegler on Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I prefer
You behind the wheel
And me the passenger
shawnsegler
Great Old One

Postby kenneth fish on Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:47 pm

Thanks Shawn!
A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything.
Friedrich Nietzsche
kenneth fish
Great Old One

Postby edededed on Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:32 pm

Sounds like a wonderful opportunity for anyone with the serendipity of being in San Francisco that day!

(Hmm - maybe I can change "San Francisco" to "Tokyo" in this post if I concentrate really hard... Grblfnkpl!)
edededed
Great Old One

Postby fuga on Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:07 pm

I am interested but it will depend on the time. My daughter has an aerial dance class in the middle of the day every Saturday.

I was one of the lucky ones who got to work with the sledgehammer with Dr. Fish some years back.

-pete
fuga
Great Old One

Postby kenneth fish on Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:13 am

I am thinking either about 10 AM or 4 PM. I will be staying by Lombard and Van Ness -not sure if I will have a car, so a park within a mile or so will be the likely spot.
Friedrich Nietzsche
kenneth fish
Great Old One

Postby kenneth fish on Thu Mar 13, 2014 7:24 pm

Yes, thank you, that is far more dignified.....
Friedrich Nietzsche
kenneth fish
Great Old One

Postby Bodywork on Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:40 am

Well... it might at least be more lucrative. ;D
Bodywork

Postby ilove_thistuff on Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:31 pm

Man this sucks I would have loved to come out but i've moved to another country now and wont be back till late June....I remember you saying you were gonna come out a couple years ago but never heard back from you. I'm really glad your sharing your knowledge in the bay though and I hope someday to meet you in SF sometime in the future or if your ever in the UK :)
ilove_thistuff
Anjing

Postby kenneth fish on Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:09 pm

Currently pursuing a lawsuit in the Bay area, so I expect to be back later in the year.
Friedrich Nietzsche
kenneth fish
Great Old One

Postby grzegorz on Tue Apr 01, 2014 5:33 pm

A friend of mine would like to go. Please post the details once you work them out.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby kenneth fish on Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:41 am

Please have your friend send me a pm.
Friedrich Nietzsche
kenneth fish
Great Old One

Postby Jianhua on Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:11 am

I'm sorry I wasn't able to attend this event. I hope to train with Dr. Fish the next time he is in the Bay Area.

For those that attended, would you be willing to provide to provide an overview of the event? :)

Thanks,
Bill
Jianhua
Mingjing

Postby ENomburg on Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:49 am

Dr.Fish is well versed in body mechanics and anatomy. I was interested in attending since I practice Yizong and consistently go to Luo De Xiu's Bay Area visits. It's easy to be overwhelmed by all the information of a good seminar. And this was no exception.

What I took away, from the tiangan set, was that when doing a forward lunge, the knee extends past the toes and the back leg is straight with the foot turned in sharply. I suppose it's to get the maximum benefit of strengthening the legs. My legs shook considerably afterwards in a good way.

The classics that say round the back and the chest is often mistranslated and actually means relieve it of all tension. So, shoulders should press down vertically to be structurally sound instead of rounding out forward. The Ten Celestial Stems were fascinating to learn. There was a lot of good movement. Dr.Fish's advice has already had a positive effect on my training. There was more to the seminar, but I had to leave early to go to work.
ENomburg
Santi

Postby kenneth fish on Sun Apr 27, 2014 4:35 pm

What we covered at the seminar:
1. Basic concepts - movement around central axis, horizontal axis, and eccentric axis, sitting in the kua, relaxing the kua, the anatomical meaning of the terms "kai" (open), "he" (close), "shen" (extend), and "suo" (contract) and how to train them, basic horse and bow stance mechanics, maintaining zuo kua (sitting in the kua) and song kua (relaxing the kua) while in deep stances, how to shift from stance to stance while maintaining solid alignment (and the muscle work involved), and the proper "chain" of power generation in movements.
2. The Ten Celestial stems: All 10 were covered
3. The Muscle Changing Classic: The first of the 24 movements was covered.
Last edited by kenneth fish on Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Friedrich Nietzsche
kenneth fish
Great Old One

Next

Return to Events, Seminars, Tournaments, Meet-ups