Dan Harden: IP, aiki and application, UK and Netherlands

Post internal martial arts seminars, events, retreats, tournaments, and informal meet-ups here.

Re: Dan Harden: IP, aiki and application, UK and Netherlands

Postby Bodywork on Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:20 am

Okay I'm done. the Date will be May 14th and 15th in London
There is a possible Friday night get together as well
All I am waiting for is the actual address from a certain party who has NOT repsonded to my email
I will put the notice up when I get the address.
Last edited by Bodywork on Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bodywork

Postby Void on Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:57 pm

BLX! Why is everything always in London!

Book me down though please.
Last edited by Void on Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Void
Huajing

Postby northern_mantis on Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:40 pm

Void wrote:BLX! Why is everything always in London!

Book me down though please.

Too right, I can think of at least 546 more favourable locations in the UK, maybe more. Though London is fun if traffic, noise and rude people are your bag!
northern_mantis
Huajing

Postby Bodywork on Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:07 pm

Hey...I'm open we are still looking for a location!
Bodywork

Postby middleway on Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:12 am

how about the picturesque cotswolds ;)

I would like to book onto this too dan if possible.

all the best
Chris

NOTE: .... SCRATCH THAT ... i CANNOT believe it but thats right in the middle of a 2 week ex i am doing! what a ball ache! next time maybe and i will see if any of my guys would like to go on it.
Last edited by middleway on Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I am not servant to the method, the method is servant to me"
Me

My Blog: http://www.martialbody.com/Blog-Research
middleway
Wuji

Postby Void on Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:23 pm

Bodywork wrote:Hey...I'm open we are still looking for a location!

Dan - you should go with wherever and whoever can give you the student base to make up the numbers you need. I don't have a school anymore so sadly can't help in that way.

London is obviously a big body of people so it may well be best for you. I only vented my spleen because, for me, it being in London means 3 days accommodation and some expensive travel to put on top of the cost of the seminar.

Looking forward to seeing you though.

Stephen
Void
Huajing

Postby Bodywork on Sat Jan 22, 2011 6:47 am

Hi Guys

LondonWe have 28 signed up but not yet committed
We are having venue difficulties. and are currenlty looking at two other options. I shold have answers by the beginning of the week.
I will keep you posted.

NetherlandsVenue set in Zwolle
24 have signed up but only 8 have committed, Deadline is Feb 15th

Dan
Bodywork

Postby Void on Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:49 am

Bodywork wrote:Hi Guys

LondonWe have 28 signed up but not yet committed

How do I sign up? and commit?
Void
Huajing

Postby Tom on Tue May 10, 2011 10:31 am

Looks like the Netherlands was a good training event:

http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showpost.php?p=283458&postcount=15

Hello all
One of the best times I have ever had at a seminar.
There were dire warnings of the onset of the Sven; ground shaking, an ill wind, but all it took was a lot of water to reduce the effect of the Sven.
I have heard of people who will no longer travel to europe until the Sven quiets down. Having once encountered a Sven It is an understandable fear. Me? I took another route.
Just as I was told....these dutch people are so dour...and reserved! Good grief! Whats a boy gotta do to get some laughs!
Still training, on to our fourth ten hour day!!
Cheers
Dan

Dan Harden is headed across the Channel to London for another seminar this coming weekend. I don't know who "the Sven" is (or was) . . . but in London they have the Yusuf. Barmaids faint, pub tabletops split, and underground dance floors empty when the Yusuf appears (it may have something to do with personal hygiene).

Go easy on Dan, yusuf. He's just a country boy from the wild woods of central Massachusetts, and he'll be bewildered in the great metropolis of London. Try and caution him against saying "You suck" when you introduce him to the Queen.
Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward.

---Vernon Law
Tom
Administrator

Postby yusuf on Tue May 10, 2011 1:49 pm

i suspect his constant refrain will be 'you suck' to all of us :)
[Seeking and not seeking are the problem...]
lol, there really isn't a problem at all
yusuf
Great Old One

Postby Tom on Tue May 10, 2011 2:24 pm

So . . . a little more description from Dan himself about his approach . . . he wrote this a few years ago. I think the paradigm is still the same, but now he is trying to teach it to more than just a few knuckle-draggers who hung out at his barn. Dan is good--especially impressive with traditional weapons (well, the wooden analogues the traditional JMAs play with for contact work).

This isn't about spinal rehab or focusing on the spine. Its about energy in the body and how you carry it. That balance of opposing forces in the body is what makes the balance of it so profound.

The spine is key to the body’s support system. But it is using the body as a system and not in isolated movement that uses the spine and the body’s weight more efficiently. If you consider load; load in/ load out, it is better to be able to disperse the load over a broader area within your body then to carry or support it in isolation. So turning your body into shock absorber that compresses and releases energy in various ways-very directed ways- is a highly efficient way to move and to actually use the weight or power of the opponent against them. The more they load in the harder and sharper the load out.

The way we train the body also makes a more rapid change in the body for fight response due to the response being more or less automatic with the way the body is trained to carry itself and then activate with the will to do a thing. When I start to train people it is only a matter of time before we discover all manner of "sticky spots" where they block cohesive movement and load distribution. We work through that with exercises and paired training till they can use the body as a unit to absorb. From there we teach them to move independently, then against force. After training this way for a while there are methods to support the same movement with the breath as an added compress/expand support. Sort of like being in the middle and a manipulator and enhancer of forces with the center.

If you are zeroing in on muscle as a driver I'd reconsider that. To make a point, consider this. We have a new guy who is a huge power lifter MMA guy. After a class of having us push on him gently and he learning to support the loads without isolated flexation- his legs were burning so bad he had to sit down. So here is a guy who can lift more than twice his body weight , but cannot stand up with people gently pushing on him, when he is NOT using muscle in the manner normally used. Bones, tendons and fascia do far more to engage the whole body then muscles alone. But when they are/were not used to being engaged this way-it was THEY that were burning. But the burn happnes all through the muscle support system, connective tissues/fascia and bone. As a way to move thought the skinny guys and gals in clas were supporting not just gentle pushes but full-on shoves and pulls of large men,while standing there and downing them or bouncing them off, while this powerlifter was being jostled all over the place and failing. And all this without any waza involved, just manipulating energy and force. It was readily apparent that his single and double leg attemps mattered not. And one soft punch downed him. So, in a prolonged bout of force on force it is far more efficient –read less tiring- way to work. In our case that “work” is Martial arts, and in our case not only is it more efficient there are seemingly magic effects both in sensitivity and shutting down someone’s power from using the body this way. Hence all the “myths” and legends of using his power against him, the one inch punch, little men like Takeda and Ueshiba besting sumo guys all come into focus and clarity. Having a huge 300 lb wrestler bounce off of you repeatedly and not be able to get in, or offering your arm for locking while you stand there, and then draw him in and reverse it without doing much of anything anyone one can see makes the case for anyone personally pursuing this type of Bujutsu training. To my mind it is what we are meant to be doing in the martial arts. It is super soft, controlling and uses far less effort.

Now, consider that idea in a long day of fighting in armor with weapons.

Part of a much longer thread on body conditioning at e-budo: http://www.e-budo.com/forum/showpost.php?s=c6c1adb917e9ae14fb243e304802d448&p=461584&postcount=406
Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward.

---Vernon Law
Tom
Administrator

Postby Interloper on Tue May 10, 2011 4:11 pm

Tom wrote:I think the paradigm is still the same, but now he is trying to teach it to more than just a few knuckle-draggers who hung out at his barn.

Knuckle-draggers? Some of us were mouth-breathers and mono-syllabic grunters, too. :P
Frankly, I think that the MA world is becoming a better place now that more people are being exposed to this crucial and long-suppressed access to genuine IS training, taught in a user-friendly manner by someone with an incredibly diverse and deep martial background.
Pariah without peer
Interloper
Great Old One

Postby Tom on Tue May 10, 2011 4:23 pm

Interloper wrote:
Tom wrote:I think the paradigm is still the same, but now he is trying to teach it to more than just a few knuckle-draggers who hung out at his barn.

Knuckle-draggers? Some of us were mouth-breathers and mono-syllabic grunters, too. :P

Pardonnez moi, mon cheri, perhaps I exaggerated. Dan is known for the elegance and fastidiousness of his compatriots in training.

;D

---Vernon Law
Tom
Administrator

Postby yusuf on Tue May 10, 2011 5:02 pm

Tom wrote:
Interloper wrote:

Pardonnez moi, mon cheri, perhaps I exaggerated. Dan is known for the elegance and fastidiousness of his compatriots in training.

;D

a little less trupmeting sir...i've seen you drink
[Seeking and not seeking are the problem...]
lol, there really isn't a problem at all
yusuf
Great Old One

Postby Tom on Tue May 10, 2011 5:23 pm

yusuf wrote:...i've seen you drink

Elegant and fastidious, non? ;) As I recall, I did most of my drinking at the bar, swiftly and before le canard was fully cognizant of how much MacAllan I sucked down, er, sipped elegantly, and when I came back to the table your face was plastered against the window ogling the lasses at the sidewalk tables (as I would have been, if I didn't like MacAllan 18 so much). Most of the rest of the session at that particular London venue was spent watching bottles of Belgian ale dance around as Martin tried to piquan the table in two. He's a curious lad--pinstriped yet so violent. Ah, the contradictions of the British character . . . 8-)

---Vernon Law
Tom
Administrator

PreviousNext

Return to Events, Seminars, Tournaments, Meet-ups