Its all about the work..bout the work…with Bodywork

Post internal martial arts seminars, events, retreats, tournaments, and informal meet-ups here.

Its all about the work..bout the work…with Bodywork

Postby AlexF on Tue Mar 17, 2015 6:39 am

Just came back from my 8th or 9th seminar with Dan (Bodywork) and thought I’d share a little for those who might be interested in attending in the future. Dan has an encyclopaedic knowledge of the fighting arts covering all the ranges and many weapon types ranging from the long range Naginata to up close knife work. He has a very rare blend of very soft compelling movement but hits like a tank. He can be demonstrating Judo leg reaps and then seamlessly flow into strikes, or kicks, how the same skills can be used on the ground with weapons…whatever Sounds great right, but who cares? Another skilful teacher who does the seminar rounds and stands in front of everyone looking good with the students feeling blessed to be blasted by the all-powerful sensei. If that’s what you’re after, stop reading as this was nothing like that.

What’s important is can he teach ME those skills. What are they? How do I train them? How do I fix MY own personal issues? How is this done? With a model explained using sound mechanical, defensible principles. Pretty easy to understand (or at least they should be understood by all internal martial artists whether from Chinese, Japanese, Malaysia roots) yet REALLY HARD to do well.

Seminars usually start with a very clear general overview on how to train the mind/body, why to train it this way, how these methods do not belong to Dan or anyone else as they have been practised for hundreds if not thousands of years. If anybody claims ownership, alarm bells should be ringing. The really encouraging thing is that every single person I worked with in the UK has improved tonnes over the last three years. Our bodies have changed, become softer; more connected in short all good. It’s a great group, no dicks trying to prove anything, all of us just getting on with it and as everyone attending is in it for the long term, we are all invested in getting our training partner to be better. People’s sensitivity has improved enormously which means constructive feedback during exercises is usually bang on the money and matches your own internal dialogue. So fixing the issue becomes pretty fast which is very encouraging. It’s either correct or it isn’t (of course there are degrees). Initially I struggled with this way to train (using the Uke/Nage model for training). If during a push test I neutralise your force (what I was taught to do and my default as a Tai Chi guy), its harder for my partner to practise the skill we are developing. (I’m NOT saying neutralising has no place). So at least at the beginning we use dumb linear force to help us train (this is incrementally increased based on your skill level but there is no point taxing someone beyond their current level). It thus becomes very clear when you’re doing the drill correctly or not.

A small example was all of us working on loosening our kuas. We understood what we had to do, discussed the theory, referenced the current RSF thread, used lots of peoples fails/problems (including my tight ass hip flexors) as common discussion points for the group.

I know Dan’s online “tone/writing style” comes across as quite dry, abrupt very cut and dry. We laugh about it, poke fun at him, a lot. Actually, you need to, to survive the barrage of bad jokes thrown your way from him during the weekend. So if you’re a sensitive soul…grow a thicker skin. To be clear, I’m not interested in recruiting for Dan or singing his praises, he doesn’t need it, anyone whos had hands on knows the truth. I’m talking to those people who in their heart of hearts think there is something missing in their art or current practise methods and whether it’s because they feel they’re not being taught on purpose or they are struggling to make it work as it should. There are people out there teaching internals that work, you could do worse than meet up with Dan or people who train with him for a chat or play. It’s a great group of likeminded people who in my experience only try to help. It’s not the only group trying to really teach functional internal skills but for me personal the universality of the model is important (i.e. a ground up, nuts and bolts approach to developing a connected body that remains fluid movement). The model allows you to not only remain in the art you love but practise it as it was probably designed. Just one man’s opinion but I’m sure an ever increasing amount of people are quietly nodding along in agreement. Thanks, Alex.

Tom, apologies if posted in the incorrect section.
AlexF
Santi

Re: Its all about the work..bout the work…with Bodywork

Postby mrtoes on Tue Mar 17, 2015 7:04 am

Good post Alex. Everyone in our group has improved beyond recognition in the last few years. It is indeed "all about the work"... also training smart and honest with a coach who really cares about you improving. May everyone find the training that is right for them :)

Matthew
mrtoes
Wuji

Postby middleway on Wed Mar 18, 2015 3:08 am

Sounds awesome guys. Glad it went so well :D
"I am not servant to the method, the method is servant to me"
Me

My Blog: http://www.martialbody.com/Blog-Research
middleway
Wuji

Postby AlexF on Wed Mar 18, 2015 3:22 am

middleway wrote:Sounds awesome guys. Glad it went so well :D

Thanks Chris, always does. Hopefully sometime soon the planets will be in alignment and we can hook up for that coffee/training/pub ;)
AlexF
Santi

Postby middleway on Wed Mar 18, 2015 4:08 am

Definitely mate :)
"I am not servant to the method, the method is servant to me"
Me

My Blog: http://www.martialbody.com/Blog-Research
middleway
Wuji

Return to Events, Seminars, Tournaments, Meet-ups