Introduction Course: Yoga & Daoist Arts

Post internal martial arts seminars, events, retreats, tournaments, and informal meet-ups here.

Introduction Course: Yoga & Daoist Arts

Postby Deadmonki on Sun Apr 12, 2015 10:22 am

Hi everyone, just to let you know I'll be teaching alongside a long term friend of mine.

If anyone has any questions about anything I'll be happy to answer them, either ask in this thread, on the FB page or pm me.

All the best,

Introduction Course Yoga & Daoist Arts

This is an Introduction course, presented as a series of 4-hour sessions, to be held on Sunday afternoons once or twice a month (see below for details). This intensive format will be more convenient for busy people who cannot easily manage regular weekly sessions. These sessions will be relatively self-contained so missing a session (perhaps due to personal reasons) will not adversely affect the remaining sessions. Excellent benefits can be achieved!

Course Contents;
-Physical Exercises
-Breathing Exercises
-Deep Relaxation
-Meditation

Main Features;
-No Special Equipment Required
-Simple to Learn and Practice
-For All Ages & Abilities
-A Gentle Approach

Benefits;
-Health
-Fitness
-Calmness
-Peacefulness

What to Bring;
-Exercise Mat
-Light Clothing
-Bottle of Water
-Notebook & Pen

An Introduction to Yoga course

This course features The Seven Golden Keys of the Yoga Grand-Master Swami Dev Murti Ji. The “Crown Jewels” of this course are the Crocodile Exercises, which are superbly designed spinal chord self-manipulation exercises which are excellent for general health and fitness. The whole course is suitable for complete beginners!

This course will be taught by Bhavin Desai who has been practicing Yoga for over 40 years and has been teaching Yoga for over 30 years. He studied Yoga for over 10 years with Jack Boulton and John More (who were students of Swami Dev Murti Ji for over 25 years) at their Yoga Centre in Lenham, England. He also studied Yoga for a year with Swami Dev Murti Ji in Rohtak, India becoming his direct student. He has a wide range of knowledge regarding Yoga and many related topics.

An introduction to Daoist Arts

Dao Yin (guiding & leading) has an overall emphasis upon nurturing the body through gathering, storing, and circulating the qi and blood. Dao Yin is commonly called 'qigong' (chi kung) today. Daoist Meditation has an overall emphasis upon nurturing the shen (spirit) through calm, clear stillness. Each session will draw upon various Moving, Standing and Lying down Dao Yin practices, as well as foundational Breath Work, Dantian cultivation, and Meditation.

Taught by Brett who was introduced to meditation 16 years ago and has been practicing Daoist arts for 8 years. He is a student of Dr Matthew Brewer of Daoist Internal arts, Andrew Nugent-Head in the Yin Style Bagua medical and cultivation traditions, and a student of Michael Lomax in Daoist Neigong. A practitioner of Classical Chinese medicine Brett runs the Tian-Yi Chinese Medicine clinic with his partner in London.

Course Details

Cost: For each 4 hour session the cost is £25
Times: Sunday from 2pm to 6pm (i.e. 14:00 to 18:00)

Dates: 19 April (Yoga only), 10 May, 7 June, 5 July, 19 July, 13 Sept, 4 Oct, 1 Nov, 29 Nov (2015)

Contact: You can either 'pm' me through the forum or contact me at [email protected]
Last edited by Deadmonki on Tue May 26, 2015 4:04 am, edited 6 times in total.
Deadmonki
Anjing

Re: Introduction Course: Yoga & Daoist Arts

Postby Deadmonki on Sun Apr 12, 2015 11:59 am

Thank you Tom :)
Deadmonki
Anjing

Postby Deadmonki on Sun Apr 12, 2015 1:01 pm

I received an e-mail asking me which Dao Yin sets I will be teaching. A fantastic question!

I am going to post part of my response here for the benefit of others;

Each Sunday will effectively be stand alone, so you can attend a single one, all of them, or anything in between (any of the dates convenient for you).

I find that if I prepare or think too much about what I want to cover it'll turn out to be inappropriate for those that turn up on the day, and then I've wasted my time (in preparation).

Although I cannot say what each individual session will entail, I will be drawing upon standing, moving, lying down, and seated dao yin (as either qi or blood practices), breathwork (tu'na fa), foundational meditation and possibly foundational dantian cultivation.

The specific practices/exercises will be chosen on the day, based on my feeling of the group and the wishes and interests of those present. They will be kept relatively outwardly simple, so as to enable people to engage with and grasp the inner qualities of the practices more easily. In line with my teacher I would rather spend more time helping people to get a direct and practical feel for the layers of practice, which really constitiute any and all good Dao Yin. This then has a reach and benefit outside of the 'form' of what I teach. And can often help deepen the practice of any form of Dao Yin, Yoga, and even Pilates or similar that someone might have.

The sessions are of course introductory and open to all ages and all backgrounds, and stand outside of learning with me on a regular basis, and are really an opportunity to experience some authentic traditional Himalayan yoga from Bhavin and a tast of the different practices I teach.

I hope this helps, if you have any further questions please let me know.
Deadmonki
Anjing

Postby Deadmonki on Tue May 05, 2015 5:27 am

Hi All,

So the next Introduction Course Yoga & Daoist Arts session is this coming Sunday 10 May 2015!

For me part I'll be looking at the foundations of Daoyin as Yangsheng practice, to nurture life. This is a post-heaven practice intended to engage with and address our 'post-heaven' aspect (body-mind) to support a meditation/cultivation practice.

The post-heaven easily becomes removed from it's relationship with the pre-heaven (consciouness/spirit) in practice, and we'll address that.

The first layer, separating the clear and the turbid will be explored both externally (waigong) and internally (neigong).The emphasis will be on learning to directly experience the layer of practice to be utilised and then playing with that in moving and standing daoyin. Partner work may also used.

The standing practice is foundational and will explore the Heaven-Human-Earth relationship in various ways. This is externally still, internally active.

The moving practices use gentle motions to affect the qi, and to more easily feel the internal changes. This is externally active, internally still.

Bhavin will introduce some of the energy-work, pranyama, and one of the series of Crocodile spinal and central channel exercises from Swami Dev Murti Ji's Yoga.

ONLY £25 per 4 hour Session.

Remember this is an Introduction course, for both Yoga & Daoist Arts presented as a series of 4-hour sessions, which will be held on Sunday afternoons once or twice a month.

Times Sunday from 2pm to 6pm (i.e. 14:00 to 18:00)

Best,
Last edited by Deadmonki on Tue May 26, 2015 4:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deadmonki
Anjing

Return to Events, Seminars, Tournaments, Meet-ups