Matt Autrey - Yizong Workshops - Boulder CO 11/14 - 11/15

Post internal martial arts seminars, events, retreats, tournaments, and informal meet-ups here.

Matt Autrey - Yizong Workshops - Boulder CO 11/14 - 11/15

Postby fisherman on Fri Oct 02, 2015 10:14 am

Hey RSF crew!
My teacher, Owen Schilling and Boulder Internal Martial Arts will be hosting Matt Autrey next month in Boulder!

Matt Autrey is a senior student of Internal Kung Fu teacher Luo De Xiu. Matt has moved back to the United States after 8 years of training Bagua Zhang, Xingyi Quan, Tai Ji Quan in Taipei, Taiwan including 5 years with Marcus Brinkman as a private student. Matt spent many years teaching and assisting in Teacher Luo’s class in Taiwan, his extensive knowledge and command of the principles, theory and applications of the internal martial arts is an asset to any practitioner.

Boulder, CO. Dates and Curriculum:

Saturday, Nov 14th - 1st Session 1:00pm – 4:00pm
Gao Bagua Xian Tian – Dragon Palm - Theory and Application
This will be an excellent introduction to the basics of Bagua and the Second palm; the Dragon palm. Learn the fundamental training practices, footwork, and applications of Gao Bagua Dragon Palm. This seminar is open to public and beginners are welcome.

Saturday, Nov 14th – 2nd Session 4:30pm – 7:30pm
Gao Bagua Zhang – Hou Tian – Straight Line Bagua – Line 2
In this seminar Matt will teach line 2 Hou Tian Bagua, the famous Straight Line Bagua of the Gao system. Matt will cover Bagua form, theory, application and training practices for the 2st line with an emphasis on its relationship to the Dragon Palm. This seminar is a great addition to any Bagua Zhang style. It is recommended that the Dragon Palm Seminar is taken before this class.

Sunday, Nov 15th – 1st Session 1:00pm – 4:00pm
Taiji Quan – Chen Pan Ling Sections 1 & 2 + Pushing Hands & Apps
Chen Pan Ling Style Taiji set combines Yang, Chen and Wu Styles of Taiji. This seminar will cover the form, theory, training concepts, applications and push hands practices while focusing on development of correct reflexes, timing and distance required for the usage of Taiji Quan. This seminar is open to public and beginners are welcome.

Sunday, Nov 15th – 2nd Session 4:00pm – 7:00pm
Xing Yi Quan – Tai Xing – The Tai Bird Animal Form
Matt will be teaching the famous Xingyi Animal set - Tai Bird. This session will cover the methodology, training drills and application strategies used. This seminar is open to public, beginners and advanced practitioners are welcome.

Cost:
1 $180 for all Four Sessions.
2 Individually, Each Session is $50.
3 Saturday & Sunday $100 each day or $180 for both Days.
4 Preferred payment is cash (please contact if paying by check)
5 Same day registration (call for availability) $190 cash only

FOR PRICING INFO AND LOCATION EMAIL:
Owen Schilling at mailto:[email protected]

Or Check http://boulderinternalmartialarts.blogspot.com/
Call 1 720 841 3526

Don't miss this! I have gotten MILEAGE out of the workshops Matt teaches. Huge thanks to my teacher for bringing him out again!
Hope to see you there!

Chris
fisherman
Great Old One

Re: Matt Autrey - Yizong Workshops - Boulder CO 11/14 - 11/15

Postby shawnsegler on Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:40 am

For those of you with money to spend and a will to learn things that are worth learning, Matt's the guy.

He knows the material inside and out, can explain it in English and is an insightful and patient teacher. Also he kicks serious ass...no lies.

If you go you will not be disappointed. Can't recommend him highly enough.

Best,

S
I prefer
You behind the wheel
And me the passenger
shawnsegler
Great Old One

Postby shawnsegler on Thu Oct 29, 2015 9:58 am

Only 2 weeks to go on this guys. Get in on it if you can. You will be happy that you did, I guarantee it.

Best,

S
I prefer
You behind the wheel
And me the passenger
shawnsegler
Great Old One

Postby fisherman on Sat Nov 07, 2015 5:49 am

One week out!
Great things to be had!

I can say that each time Matt has visited he's presented a skill set that was easily adaptable to my training and presented results. They are usually skill sets that you've got to put your work in to get good results, but if you do the results are solid.

Hope to see some of you!
Chris
fisherman
Great Old One

Postby shawnsegler on Mon Nov 09, 2015 2:08 pm

This weekend is it. If you're in Boulder and want to get the good stuff, I've been on the receiving end of the past few weeks you should really go and see Matt.

If you want to get some high level fighting skills and the secrets of ICMA development, tactics etc...you will not find better action in Boulder this weekend I guarantee it.

Anyway, Matt's a great guy, a great teacher and available and able to explain it in plain English.

Hope you guys have a great weekend. I hope to hear some reviews.

Best,

S
I prefer
You behind the wheel
And me the passenger
shawnsegler
Great Old One

Postby fisherman on Wed Nov 11, 2015 5:14 am

If we are still alive I will post a review.
fisherman
Great Old One

Postby shawnsegler on Thu Nov 12, 2015 10:25 am

I'm looking forward to it. I know you'll love it, but I also guarantee difficulty walking for a few days after. :)

Best,

S
I prefer
You behind the wheel
And me the passenger
shawnsegler
Great Old One

Postby shawnsegler on Sun Nov 15, 2015 10:49 am

I'm excited to hear how it went!

S
I prefer
You behind the wheel
And me the passenger
shawnsegler
Great Old One

Postby fisherman on Mon Nov 16, 2015 11:43 am

It was some great stuff! Tai bird has impacted my typing skills a little. Will post up a solid review later...
fisherman
Great Old One

Postby shawnsegler on Mon Nov 16, 2015 12:45 pm

Tai bird changed a lot of stuff for me. It was...as they say..."a revelation".

Look forward to the review.

Best,

S
I prefer
You behind the wheel
And me the passenger
shawnsegler
Great Old One

Postby fisherman on Tue Nov 17, 2015 2:08 pm

Sorry for the delay on this; there may even be more to add later as I digest things a bit more!
This review is coming HEAVILY from a Gao style/YiZong perspective. If there's anything you'd like me to clarify on just let me know.

Saturday's workshops were geared towards the use of the dragon palm from the Shen Tien palms and Line 2 of the Houtian palms. We had a few more people for the Shen Tien part of the workshop, some folks that hadn't done the form before. I thought that Matt did a great job of breaking the form down so these folks were able to learn it and the way we trained it in the workshop they were able to quickly grasp what each part of the form is doing. We worked on a couple of different throws for dragon and explored how these could transition to other throws if positioning changed. For me personally, Matt threw out a couple of Tantien related nuggets that are going to keep me busy for a good while. This is what I love about the workshops with this guy. I may be signing up for dragon, but walk away with a principle that I can plug into my training whether it be Bagua, Xingyi, or Taiji.
The line 2 work was great! Matt's discussion on how the line focuses on rotational power cleared up a lot for me. There were a grip of fun applications with the majority of them leading into the snake throw.
There was some cool discussion on meditation in the parking lot before we left class - and I walked away with another gem to plug into my practice!
Sunday was an interesting mix!
We started the day with reviewing/learning the first two sections of the Chen Pan Ling Taiji form. Once again, Matt is able to point out some really cool skills that you can refine while practicing the form and the little mini-sets. I really like what the taiji practice has done to my practice overall. I think that it has given me an ability to feel my movements more clearly with it's meditative practices.
Tai bird was painful...
The form done correctly is painful on the legs. Arm shapes held correctly put a burn in the arms. All of the application work involved some sort of nasty smashing actions. I'm pretty convinced now that the Tai bid was in fact a T-rex.

I want to thank Matt for being so generous in sharing what he's learned. I think that he does an incredibly job of helping people build skill! I also want to thank my teacher, Owen Schilling for setting it all up. And I want to thank all the people that came out. We are pretty fortunate to be able to have so many cool people to work with that train hard and have a great time.
Looking forward to the next one!!

Chris
fisherman
Great Old One

Postby shawnsegler on Tue Nov 17, 2015 2:27 pm

He's an amazing teacher. I'm constantly surprised at just how deep his understanding of the material is.

No nonsense. I feel very lucky to get to work out with him 3 times a week.

If you ever get a chance to hook up with him you'll learn a lot.

Glad you guys had a great time this weekend.

Cheers,

S.
I prefer
You behind the wheel
And me the passenger
shawnsegler
Great Old One

Return to Events, Seminars, Tournaments, Meet-ups