Luo Dexiu in Boston

Post internal martial arts seminars, events, retreats, tournaments, and informal meet-ups here.

Re: Luo Dexiu in Boston

Postby shawnsegler on Fri Jul 25, 2008 8:11 pm

Give us breakdowns on the whole thing when you are done.

I really want to come out and visit you guys when Laoshi's out there sometime.

Best,

S
I prefer
You behind the wheel
And me the passenger
shawnsegler
Great Old One

Postby Buddy on Sat Jul 26, 2008 4:35 am

And if you can only make it to one day of the weekend we'll give you a rate. Five fists is too much for 3 hours with the amount of material Luo throws at us.
Buddy
Great Old One

Postby Buddy on Sat Jul 26, 2008 3:20 pm

Phew. I thought taiji was supposed to be relaxing. I didn't realize it came with an ass whoopin'. Disappointing turnout so it'll get relegated back to a three hour evening.

That said, thanks to Bill Lewitt and the whole Nam Pai crew for having us.
Buddy
Great Old One

Postby TaoBoxer on Sat Jul 26, 2008 6:09 pm

sooooooooooo sore........ :-D

Yi Zong has a home at Nam Pai any time.

Lewitt
Never go full retard
TaoBoxer
Great Old One

Postby kreese on Sat Jul 26, 2008 7:38 pm

Buddy wrote:Disappointing turnout so it'll get relegated back to a three hour evening.

This makes me want to slap people.
"Ignore the comments, people will bitch about anything." - Ian
kreese
Great Old One

Postby Brady on Mon Jul 28, 2008 1:41 pm

Good to hear the seminar is some tough work. Sorry I couldn't make it this weekend, but I look forward to going tonight or tomorrow night.
Brady
Wuji

Postby Nizer on Mon Jul 28, 2008 5:50 pm

Can anyone provide a little more color regarding the eight mother static palms seminar? I'm not familiar with static palms in Bagua. Thanks.
Nizer
Santi

Postby Buddy on Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:05 pm

My God Warren's alive.

It's the circling postures, like yiquan only moving.
Buddy
Great Old One

Postby TaoBoxer on Tue Jul 29, 2008 2:44 am

I hate having a job. I'd love to go to the Ba Xing Zhang.... It was great seeing you guys and working with LaoShi again.

Lewitt
Never go full retard
TaoBoxer
Great Old One

Postby Nizer on Tue Jul 29, 2008 4:15 am

Yes, you can run but you can't hide. See you this evening.
Nizer
Santi

Postby Brady on Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:22 am

Last night was fun, I'm glad I finally got the chance to see Luo in action. I really appreciated his willingness to not just show me a bunch of set ups for throws but then when I wasn't getting the wrap right or something, he had me try it on him and showed me where I was wrong. Also he roughed me up a bit and it was a lot of fun to feel his solid structure and good power. Shoulder strikes were probably my favorite part of the night. Anyways thanks to all who made this happen, I've got a few new ideas to take to Judo now.
Brady
Wuji

Postby Buddy on Wed Jul 30, 2008 7:16 am

While I'll have to rearrange things for next year a bit so as to bring in a little more cash, this year was pretty amazing. I got to work a lot more than I thought i would able to do and Laoshi was his over-giving self once again. Thanks to Warren for reconnecting with us and to Don Miller for bringing a couple of his boys around.

Next year we'll go back to concentrating a lot more on Xingyi in particular and bagua in general. And we'll throw in a bit of taiji for those who got a chance to see martial taiji in action. If you missed the taiji...you missed a chance to see taiji out of its theoretical box and see how it really works at the hand of a master. I had thought that the taiji would attract a broader crowd but those who I thought might come would probably have been put off by the real martial nature of the art as shown by Luo.

I'm coming back, bitches, and I'm bring Yizong with me! ;D
Buddy
Great Old One

Postby The Possible Human on Thu Jul 31, 2008 3:31 am

My detective skills are sharp. So this is what I missed. :) Looks like it was a great opportunity for area martial artists to train. I'll certainly be there next year regardless of where I land. I'll be overseas again for a couple weeks following the 4th, so hopefully it does not conflict with that.
The Possible Human
Santi

Postby LeoV on Thu Jul 31, 2008 2:55 pm

Yes, a definite "thank you" to Bill and the Nam Pai crew for their hospitality. Top notch. :-)

Hsing-I Five Elements: Always good. The biggest thing for me was Laoshi helped fix my timing. I always felt my back leg dragged a hair longer than my hands. Laoshi showed me a couple of exercises and in a span of 15 min, fixed my timing. That alone was worth the price of admission.

Tai Chi: It hurts, it's a lot of work, and yes, it's a martial art. Laoshi also helped me (geeze, I needed a lot of help this time around) "figure out" Tai Chi, in terms of martial strategy compared to Hsing-I and BaGua. Also we had a good talk on how Tai Chi fits into the whole scheme of internal martial arts training, and suggestions on what I need to do. I'll certainly do the work, because I know Laoshi is right, and in the end I'll be better for it.

Hsing-I Animals (Snake, Bear, Monkey): Snake is fun. Luckily I remembered my falling drills, as a wooden floor gets pretty hard after a few throws. :-P Bear is great too, except when the big guys finally got it. Shoulder strikes from a guy who is much bigger than you is not too fun. And Monkey? Who doesn't like monkeys? Movement and use of monkey is great.

BaGua Static Palms: Wow. I got a ton out of this session this year. Laoshi helped link how the static palms (mind work) work for sparring and applications for me. Also took it and tied in the Tai Chi - great, great stuff.

Definitely got a ton of stuff to work on for the next year (and beyond). If you can catch Laoshi in Colorado or California, do so. You won't be disappointed.
Last edited by LeoV on Thu Jul 31, 2008 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LeoV
Santi

Postby JessOBrien on Thu Jul 31, 2008 3:50 pm

Thanks for the review Leo! Glad to hear you are training and keeping on with it. Hope to train with you again someday.
-Jess O
JessOBrien
Great Old One

PreviousNext

Return to Events, Seminars, Tournaments, Meet-ups