Gao Style Bagua Seminars w/Matt Autrey - Boulder CO 9/10-11

Post internal martial arts seminars, events, retreats, tournaments, and informal meet-ups here.

Gao Style Bagua Seminars w/Matt Autrey - Boulder CO 9/10-11

Postby fisherman on Mon Jul 18, 2016 4:14 pm

Hey there RSF!
My teacher, Owen Schilling is hosting another weekend of workshops in Boulder, CO with Matt Autrey. I can say from personal experience that the skill building sets that Matt presents have made my practice much more rich the past few years!! @ $180 for the weekend - this is a STEAL!!!
I hope to see some of you there.
Details below...

*Boulder, CO. Sept 10th & 11th 2016*

Matt Autrey is a senior student of Internal Kung Fu teacher Luo De Xiu. Matt has moved back to the United States after 8 years of training Bagua Zhang, Xingyi Quan, Tai Ji Quan in Taipei, Taiwan including 5 years with Marcus Brinkman as a private student. Matt spent many years teaching and assisting in Teacher Luo’s class in Taiwan, his extensive knowledge and command of the principles, theory and applications of the internal martial arts is an asset to any practitioner.

Boulder, CO. Dates and Curriculum:

Saturday, Sept 10th - 1st Session 1:00pm – 4:00pm
Gao Bagua Xian Tian – Tiger Palm - Theory and Application
This will be an excellent introduction to the basics of Bagua and the Third palm of Gao Bagua Zhang; the Tiger palm. Learn the fundamental training practices, footwork, and applications of Gao Bagua Tiger Palm. This seminar is open to public and beginners are welcome.

Saturday, Sept 10th – 2nd Session 4:30pm – 7:30pm
Gao Bagua Zhang – Straight Line Bagua – Big Opening #3 Tiger
In this seminar Matt will teach the Bagua of the Gao system, big opening #3 - Tiger. He will cover Bagua opening & bridging form, theory, application and training practices for big opening #3 with an emphasis on its relationship to the Tiger Palm. This seminar is a great addition to any Bagua Zhang style. It is recommended that the Tiger Palm Seminar is taken before this class.

Sunday, Sept 11th – 1st Session 1:00pm – 4:00pm
Taiji Quan – Taiji Fundamentals with Pushing Hands & Apps
This seminar will cover the theory, training concepts, applications and push hands practices of the fundamental Taiji principles of Zhan, Nian, Lian & Sway. The development of these primary principles/ practices will stimulate the use of correct reflexes, timing and distance required for the usage of Taiji Quan. This seminar is open to public and beginners are welcome.

Sunday, Sept 11th – 2nd Session 4:00pm – 7:00pm
Gao Bagua Zhang – Nei Gung: Single Palm Change & San Ti
Matt will be teaching Bagua Nei Gong or inner work/ method. This session will cover the forms, methodology and training strategies used for deepening and building your internal martial arts practice. This seminar is open to public, beginners and advanced practitioners are welcome.

Cost:
1 $180 for all Four Sessions.
2 Individually, Each Session is $50.
3 Saturday & Sunday $100 each day or $180 for both Days.
4 Preferred payment is cash (please contact if paying by check)
5 Same day registration (call for availability) $190 cash only

FOR PRICING INFO AND LOCATION EMAIL:
Owen Schilling at mailto:[email protected]

Or Check http://boulderinternalmartialarts.blogspot.com/
Call 1 720 841 3526
fisherman
Great Old One

Re: Gao Style Bagua Seminars w/Matt Autrey - Boulder CO 9/10-11

Postby shawnsegler on Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:35 am

A steal indeed.

Matt's ability and skill in teaching are both world class. If you're interested in increasing your skill as martial artist, no matter what it is that you do, you'll come out of his seminar a better one than you were when you went in. I guarantee it.

He really is all that.

S

Last edited by shawnsegler on Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
I prefer
You behind the wheel
And me the passenger
shawnsegler
Great Old One

Postby fisherman on Thu Jul 21, 2016 11:23 am

Awesome! That's me he's whipping around!
fisherman
Great Old One

Postby fisherman on Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:54 am

About 3 weeks out!
fisherman
Great Old One

Postby fisherman on Tue Sep 06, 2016 5:22 am

Matt will be here this weekend.
Every time that Matt has come to town I've seriously felt my skill level numb up a notch. Matt is really good at diving into the depth of the Yizong system and highlighting skill sets that can lead to measurable improvement. If you put the n the work there's some great stuff to be had, no matter what your background.
Hopefully we'll see some of you there!
Train well!
Chris
fisherman
Great Old One

Postby shawnsegler on Tue Sep 06, 2016 1:22 pm

I'd be bummed that I'm missing out on access to my teacher this weekend, but truth be told I've got plenty to work on by myself.

Matt is really, really, really good at this stuff and a great teacher on top of it. It truly is a true great deal to have access to him.

I know you guys'll have a great time this weekend.
Last edited by shawnsegler on Tue Sep 06, 2016 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I prefer
You behind the wheel
And me the passenger
shawnsegler
Great Old One

Postby shawnsegler on Sat Sep 10, 2016 9:49 am

Hope everything is going well. Keep us informed of how it goes!

Best,

S (working out by himself today... :( )
I prefer
You behind the wheel
And me the passenger
shawnsegler
Great Old One

Postby fisherman on Sun Sep 11, 2016 6:27 am

Yesterday was amazing!! I'm a bit sore this morning but fully looking forward to today's workshops!
Squishing in some family time this morning. I'll post a review of the weekend later this evening.
fisherman
Great Old One

Postby Dmitri on Sun Sep 11, 2016 8:11 am

That's awesome, Chris! 8-)
Dmitri
Great Old One

Postby fisherman on Mon Sep 12, 2016 5:15 am

Last weekend was a great selection of workshops with Matt Autrey! It began on Saturday with an exploration into several different aspects of Tiger within the Yizong branch of Gao Style Bagua. Sunday we worked on sticking, adhering, connecting and following and then Bagua neigong methods involved with single palm change. We finished the day reviewing what throws and usages were associated with which of the pre-heaven palms.
I really enjoyed Saturday's presentation of Tiger. We began by reviewing the form for the small version of tiger from our pre-heaven/Shentien sets and then moved straight into usage. We then transitioned into the large version of tiger which came with a whole other bag of insights for me! We reviewed the form and it's usage and looked at the similarities and differences between the two. There's always some subtle thing that I'm missing that I see when Matt demonstrates a form; I have some great things to work on!
Following the Shentien Tiger workshop we went into the version of Tiger from our 8 Big Opening palms. This was some great stuff!! Matt showed not only how to effectively use this entry method to engage with someone but also some great solo training pieces and how they're influenced by the Shentien versions of tiger, both big and small.
Sunday was another great day full of insights! We started off with reviewing a couple of sections of the Chen Pan Ling Taiji form with some added attention to the Grasp Sparrow's Tail piece. We then began exploring the usage of sticking, adhering, connecting and following. Matt effectively showed everyone not only each individual piece and it's practice and usage, but how they could be intermixed. I also liked how Matt was able to show how these principles from a ton of different angles and configurations; getting people to understand that it is more about the quality of the principles involved rather than techniques.
The latter part of Sunday we worked on the Single Palm Change and it's use as a Bagua Neigong method. We started by reviewing the 8 Brocades to gain a better sense of body and mind connection, understanding that the senses developed in qigong carry into the neigong practice. We then worked on the form itself and dialing in the importance of tantien practices. This was some great material! I really like the deep meditative neigong practices of Bagua and this was loaded to the guild.
We finished up with a little treat that wasn't on the menu! Matt reviewed all the different pre-heaven palm changes and briefly got us practicing the body methods involved with each.
All in all this was such a great workshop! I want to thank my teacher and great friend Owen Schilling for organizing and bringing Matt to town again! Also the students of Boulder Internal Arts! You are all such a great group of people to train with! Everyone there works hard and has a great time! Finally, thanks to Matt Autrey for the continued generosity in spreading these arts and for presenting some wonderfully insightful material!

Train well all!
Chris
fisherman
Great Old One

Postby shawnsegler on Mon Sep 12, 2016 9:15 am

Sounds like you guys had a great time!

Glad it was awesome as usual.

Cheers!

S
I prefer
You behind the wheel