Yin Style Baguazhang

Post internal martial arts seminars, events, retreats, tournaments, and informal meet-ups here.

Yin Style Baguazhang

Postby D_Glenn on Tue Aug 09, 2016 7:55 am

...with He Jinbao from Beijing, China

He Jinbao started studying Baguazhang around 1974 and was blessed with the generosity of his teachers so that he could practice 10 hours a day, 7 days a week for roughly 10 years. During that time he also followed the stricter ascetics of the Daoist system that's embedded within Baguazhang and achieved a high level of cultivation (body, mind, spirit). In the 1980s he started testing out his skills in fighting and soon he found himself 'Breaking down whole schools', which lead to some bad blood with the people he was defeating but their older Grandmasters (guys in their 80s, 90s, and even 100s) were enlivened to hear about this "Young guy who was doing it like they used to in the old days.", and he was invited to have tea and talk with them. Even being reluctantly served tea by the person he'd just beat in some cases. One introduction lead to several more, and then several more after that, and so, meeting old Chinese Masters over the course of years. Some weekends he found himself taking trains all over China to meet some obscure Grandmaster somewhere. Part of his ascetics training was being forced to memorize lengthy texts and being able to recite them verbatim. A technique that he then used for every aspect of his life, whether it was remembering every conversation he had with these old teachers of Chinese Internal Arts, or remembering every martial arts book or magazine article he read, or video he's watched. It's all trapped in his steel vice of a memory.
In the 1980s he was traveling around meeting and learning from old CIMA friends, but in the 1990s he found himself traveling all around China attending funerals of said friends. So don't let the knowledge go to waste. He knows that it's unlikely that a single person will be able to grasp or absorb all that he has to teach, so he hopes to disseminate the knowledge over a wide group or array of people.

San Francisco, CA September 24 - 27, 2016
Boulder, CO October 1 - 3, 2016
Ann Arbor, MI October 7 - 12, 2016
Boston, MA October 15 - 18, 2016
Tampa/St. Pete, FL October 22 - 25, 2016
See website for more details - http://www.yinstylebaguazhang.com/workshops.html

Last edited by D_Glenn on Tue Aug 09, 2016 10:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
D_Glenn
Great Old One

Re: Yin Style Baguazhang

Postby kshurika on Tue Aug 30, 2016 10:15 am

I can't get the person running the San Francisco workshop to answer my email.
kshurika
Wuji

Postby kshurika on Tue Aug 30, 2016 10:13 pm

Okay, I'll send yet another e-mail to Geoff with my questions. That's the address I used. But, so far, no response.
kshurika
Wuji

Postby kshurika on Thu Sep 01, 2016 5:20 pm

Used alternative address given me by Tom and Geoff answered quickly. It's all good. Thanks!
kshurika
Wuji

Postby JessOBrien on Fri Sep 02, 2016 11:12 am

Sweet. I've been to a class with He Jin Bao and it was super fun! Hard work and many great training methods are offered. Definitely worth the time for any lover of Chinese martial arts.
JessOBrien
Great Old One

Return to Events, Seminars, Tournaments, Meet-ups