Dan Harden in Seattle Aug 18-20

Post internal martial arts seminars, events, retreats, tournaments, and informal meet-ups here.

Dan Harden in Seattle Aug 18-20

Postby Bodywork on Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:43 am

Sorry I've been too busy to write anything.
Seminar is at
Aikido Eastside
Bellevue Washington
Frid private if you know me already
Sat-Sun 10-6
Dan
Bodywork
Great Old One

Re: Dan Harden in Seattle Aug 18-20

Postby choldstare on Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:55 pm

Hello Dan,
will this seminar have any jiu jitsu /grappling specific applications and methods to tie in the internals with?

-Cheers
choldstare
Santi

Postby Bodywork on Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:33 am

choldstare wrote:Hello Dan,
will this seminar have any jiu jitsu /grappling specific applications and methods to tie in the internals with?

-Cheers

Sorry, I didn't see this. I don't come here much anymore.
Techniques?
Yes, but only some. I show martial movement and approaches and not necessarily individual techniques. The only difference being when I teach weapons.
And to be clear, what is out there on you tube has NOTHING to do with what I teach, those were from a Daito Ryu focused seminar more to introduce Goldberg Sensei to some of my guys..

Jujutsu/grappling seminars are a dime a dozen so i don't really see the point.
Good internal seminars are not as common.
That said...
Internals do NOT make you a grappler/fighter any more than Martial arts make you a grappler/fighter. Hence why most *martial artists* find out they really are neither *martial* nor *artists* when they meet good grappler/fighters.
But since there are many good grapplers, why bother just adding to the mix? I find it more beneficial to the community to teach internals and aiki and independence of movement rather than fighting skills. For that reason I can have seminars with seniors from Aikido, Daito Ryu, Taiji, Bagau, ILC, BJJ. Judo, MMA, and Koryu...all in one room. Were I to focus on technical aspects I couldn't do that. But, hey...that's just my opinion. It doesn't require agreement from anybody. Its my choice of what to do, that's all.
Bodywork
Great Old One

Postby Tom on Fri Aug 25, 2017 4:50 pm

Bodywork wrote: I don't come here much anymore.

I noticed. The silence is deafening. ;D
Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward.

---Vernon Law
Tom
Administrator

Postby Bodywork on Sat Aug 26, 2017 4:26 am

Well, I do miss... you.
I am...
Finishing my book
In Europe allot more teaching
At home Finishing my addition
Then there is this...
The reality of talking about internals! -argh-
Bodywork
Great Old One

Postby Finny on Sun Aug 27, 2017 5:09 pm

Can I ask about the book Dan? Will it be exclusively aiki/IP type discussion, or any history, other stuff?

Any chance your Aussie chaps will entice you down under soon?
Finny
Great Old One

Postby Bodywork on Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:17 am

Hi Finny
The book has an overview of the history of internal training throughout the arts and it's presence in Japanese arts. It has training advice, drawings and descriptions.
I'm very hesitant to publish and don't know if I'll ever get the courage or enough interest to actually do so. Most of what I've read or watched is such well written, but none-the-less, useless crap... I'm not sure I can produce a book or videos of what I'd want to read or see much less anyone else.

I'm doing an Aussie seminar in Hawaii in Feb. They got tickets for $500. It's on my calendar. I don't know if or when I'd go. Is a 26 hr flight. I'm booked for 2018 and partially 2019
Bodywork
Great Old One

Postby TrainingDummy on Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:59 pm

Aussie seminar in Hawaii? How does that work?
Garth S
TrainingDummy
Great Old One

Postby Chris Li on Thu Aug 31, 2017 5:33 pm

TrainingDummy wrote:Aussie seminar in Hawaii? How does that work?

There's a regular weekend workshop that's open, which is followed by a closed five day intensive workshop just for the Australia Sangenkai group. It's basically a compromise so that Dan doesn't have to make the long trip down to Australia and the Aussies don't have to make the long trip out to Massachusetts. More info here...

Best,

Chris
Chris Li
Mingjing

Return to Events, Seminars, Tournaments, Meet-ups