Ken Fish in SF

Post internal martial arts seminars, events, retreats, tournaments, and informal meet-ups here.

Ken Fish in SF

Postby Ray on Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:50 pm

Dr. Ken Fish was kind enough to take some time out during his SF stopover to demonstrate some of the body mechanics behind topics frequently addressed on this forum.

With just the use of a park bench, he demonstrated on me the difference that a relaxed kua and the proper body structure can affect the ability to absorb/root an incoming force. He was also able to use the same frame and relaxed kua to generate a substantial strike/push without overt use of force. I’m still trying to understand a couple of other things he demonstrated: striking with qi vs. without qi and the difference in compression/expansion used in XYLH and Tongbei strikes; will try to get more clarification the next time I see him. I’m sure there’s more that I haven’t covered, but these were the highlights.
Ray
Santi

Re: Ken Fish in SF

Postby fuga on Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:31 am

Was he just here again?
fuga
Great Old One

Postby Ray on Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:27 am

Yes, last week.
Ray
Santi

Postby Ray on Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:47 pm

Well, it certainly appeals to the metaphorical Missourian in me. Sometimes, it just helps to hear the same thing from different or as many sources as possible. I especially appreciate how Ken's medial background allows him to explain structural alignment and movements in terms familiar to my understanding of anatomy and physiology. The qi stuff I don’t understand, but I’m dense that way; perhaps he can clarify when he stops over on the way back east. Maybe more folks from eF will be able to meet up this time.
Ray
Santi

Postby fuga on Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:59 pm

Keep me in the loop on his return visit. A number of us trained with him last year when he passed through. We also sampled some fine beers in the city.

And, Ray, you are more than welcome to join those of us who get together in Oakland and SF to train, though the weather has been uncooperative lately.

-pete
fuga
Great Old One

Postby nianfong on Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:21 am

I think next time ven fish comes to town, we take him to hobson's choice... best rum selection in the city :D
nianfong
Administrator

Postby kenneth fish on Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:39 pm

The hard part was uprooting the concrete bench from its moorings....

Anyway, I look forward to working with all of you again - Ray will be looking at setting up a proper venue. I was not actually in SF proper this time around - just at Millbrae w/o a car, and up to my rear in work that I'd taken with me.
A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything.
Friedrich Nietzsche
kenneth fish
Great Old One

Postby Dale Dugas on Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:24 am

Dr. Fish,

Let me know if you ever come to Boston.

I would love to meet you and take you to dinner and pick your brain about many things.
Dr. Dale Dugas, AP DOM MAOM, Dipl.OM
http://www.daledugas.com
Dale Dugas
Great Old One

Postby Ray on Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:32 pm

kenneth fish wrote:The hard part was uprooting the concrete bench from its moorings....

yeah, but you had to utter "Shazam" first, so it can't be truly internal. ::)

So, I remember you mentioning being back in the Bay Area in October. Anyone interested in meeting, please PM me and I'll try to coordinate something. Ray
Last edited by Ray on Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ray
Santi

Postby kenneth fish on Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:48 pm

Dale:

I may have a neuroscience class in Boston later this year - I will keep you posted.

Ray:

It will probably be the latter half of October, after the double ten day holiday in Taiwan. I will PM you well in advance.
Last edited by kenneth fish on Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything.
Friedrich Nietzsche
kenneth fish
Great Old One

Postby jafc on Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:56 pm

I would love to meet you and take you to dinner and pick your brain about many things.

I may have a neuroscience class in Boston later this year - I will keep you posted.

This was too good to pass up - Flyers: "The neuroscience of kungfu's deadly brain picking technique"

Are you teaching or taking the aforementioned class? Is it unrelated to your martial arts & merely professional or otherwise?

Hope your book writing is going well

travel safely
JC
jafc
Mingjing

Return to Events, Seminars, Tournaments, Meet-ups