Atlanta Taijiquan Pushing Hands Practice Group

Post internal martial arts seminars, events, retreats, tournaments, and informal meet-ups here.

Postby bruce on Tue May 13, 2008 1:27 am

There is a small group (usually between 2 and 5 people) that meets on Sundays for a couple of hours on Decatur Square in Atlanta.
Mostly push-hands; also form comparison, work on proper internal structure/alignment, martial applications, qinna, two-person drills (peng-lu-ji-an, Da Lu, etc.), sword, staff, etc. -- anything, whatever you feel like doing. You can even bring some gear and spar a bit with those interested.
No predefined schedule of any kind; this is not a class. Just a group of people interested in (mostly internal) martial arts, practicing together.

Over time, we've had visits/participation from more than 10 different martial arts schools (students and sometimes teachers), including those from out of town.
Please note that there are no teacher-student relationships here; everyone may be a little bit of each/both. No "politics" of any kind.
The group is open, atmosphere is quite friendly and everyone tries to help one another and share their knowledge.

All martial artists are welcome (not just internal), of any level -- just be nice and keep an open mind. If you are not a martial artist yet but are interested, come talk to people from different schools/styles, compare, learn. Perhaps you will find a school, or at least get a better idea about which martial art you want to learn.
We are all looking forward to meeting more people who are genuinely interested in (internal) martial arts, so feel free to stop by and check it out.

More info and Directions:
When: every Sunday (unless the weather is seriously severe) from about 1 pm or so till whenever, usually around 3 or 4 pm and later. So if it is your first visit, the "safest" time to catch someone practicing is probably somewhere around 1:30 or 2 pm.

Where: in a large octagon-shaped gazebo behind the old courthouse building on Decatur Square, Decatur (Atlanta), GA.

Directions:
http://maps.google.com/maps?q=old+dekal ... =addr&om=1

If the above link doesn't work look up directions to Old Dekalb County Courthouse in Decatur, Georgia.
Last edited by bruce on Tue May 13, 2008 10:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
bruce
Great Old One

Re: Atlanta Taijiquan Pushing Hands Practice Group

Postby TaoJoannes on Sat May 31, 2008 4:25 pm

BTW, I am in Florida for a couple weeks. See you sometime around the 30th. (My birthday, btw, so bitches best be bringin bottles of scotch. :)
oh qué una tela enredada que tejemos cuando primero practicamos para engañar
TaoJoannes
Wuji

Postby bruce on Sat May 31, 2008 7:28 pm

TaoJoannes wrote:BTW, I am in Florida for a couple weeks. See you sometime around the 30th. (My birthday, btw, so bitches best be bringin bottles of scotch. :)

the 30th of what month? i leave on july 1 for tour so i will see you in december. happy birthday!
bruce
Great Old One

Postby TaoJoannes on Sat May 31, 2008 8:14 pm

Oh dayum, I forgot about that whole Dragonforce tour thing. It'll probably actually be the weekend of the 20th, don't know just yet, but that'd give me two weeks of bruising.
oh qué una tela enredada que tejemos cuando primero practicamos para engañar
TaoJoannes
Wuji

Postby Ben on Mon Jun 02, 2008 2:31 pm

I should be able to come again starting this weekend.
Never confuse movement with action.
-Ernest Hemingway
Ben
Great Old One

Postby bruce on Mon Jun 02, 2008 2:37 pm

Ben wrote:I should be able to come again starting this weekend.

:)
bruce
Great Old One

Postby bruce on Sun Sep 07, 2008 7:06 am

hey atlanta people ... i am home for a few weeks and would like to meet for some practice this coming sunday. let me know if anyone can make it.
bruce
Great Old One

Postby Dmitri on Sun Sep 07, 2008 7:53 am

I can't, -- too much work (yes, on weekends >:() and also my wife is going away for the whole next week with one of the kids, so "family time" gets the extra priority. Will probably be there on the 21st, and definitely on the 28th.
Dmitri
Great Old One

Postby bruce on Sun Sep 07, 2008 4:37 pm

Dmitri wrote:I can't, -- too much work (yes, on weekends >:() and also my wife is going away for the whole next week with one of the kids, so "family time" gets the extra priority. Will probably be there on the 21st, and definitely on the 28th.

ohhh well. i fly to the uk on the 21st ... i will see ya in late december when i get home. have good family time and dont let them work you too much on the weekends.
bruce
Great Old One

Postby Dmitri on Thu Sep 25, 2008 6:09 am

I should be there this Sunday around 1:30. An old friend from FL should also be coming, he's a capable push-hands guy.
Just FYI, if anyone else wants to come out and play.
Dmitri
Great Old One

Postby Ben on Sat Jan 17, 2009 1:54 pm

Bruce and I will be there Sunday at 1. This is Bruce's last weekend in Atlanta before leaving so come on out people!
Never confuse movement with action.
-Ernest Hemingway
Ben
Great Old One

Postby bruce on Sat Jan 17, 2009 2:06 pm

Ben wrote:Bruce and I will be there Sunday at 1. This is Bruce's last weekend in Atlanta before leaving so come on out people!

it will be warm and sunny lol
bruce
Great Old One

Return to Events, Seminars, Tournaments, Meet-ups