Yang Hai in D.C. - Foundations for Apps. and Spear Seminars

Post internal martial arts seminars, events, retreats, tournaments, and informal meet-ups here.

Yang Hai in D.C. - Foundations for Apps. and Spear Seminars

Postby kenneth fish on Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:53 am

Master Yang Hai will be holding 2 seminars in the Washington D.C. area on October 17th and 18th. The first will be foundations of speed, power, and usage training for the 5 elements, the second is even more rare and tasty - Xingyi spear training! A great workout that trains whole body strength, coordination and power project.

More info in a few days.
Last edited by kenneth fish on Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything.
Friedrich Nietzsche
kenneth fish
Great Old One

Re: Yang Hai in Washington D.C.

Postby Bill on Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:18 am

I will try and make it to his west coast seminar if he can make it out here. I love the way he moves.
It hurts when I Pi
Bill
Great Old One

Re: Yang Hai in Washington D.C.

Postby chud on Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:22 pm

kenneth fish wrote:Master Yang Hai will be holding seminars and individual classes in mid to late October 2009. More details later this week. West Coast seminars are also planned.

I'm up around D.C. quite a bit (posting from Reston, VA right now, actually). Hopefully I'll be in town when he comes by.
chud
Great Old One

Re: Yang Hai in D.C. - Foundations for Apps. and Spear Seminars

Postby kenneth fish on Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:16 pm

ttt
Last edited by kenneth fish on Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything.
Friedrich Nietzsche
kenneth fish
Great Old One

Postby XiaoXiong on Wed Aug 12, 2009 4:42 pm

Sounds interesting. I would like to meet him and feel his gong fu.
J
Truth enlightens the mind, but won't always bring happiness to the heart.
XiaoXiong
Great Old One

Postby kenneth fish on Wed Aug 12, 2009 6:22 pm

The spear seminar will be in your area - we will be in Reston on Sunday, October 18th. I think it would be a great opportunity to see and learn from a very talented Xingyi teacher. The spear is an excellent way to build and refine unified body movement, overall strength and coordination, and explosive projection of force.
Friedrich Nietzsche
kenneth fish
Great Old One

Postby Earth_Monkey on Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:46 pm

I should be able to make it. Looking forward to seeing and learning some his material up close.

Peace Eric
Earth_Monkey
Anjing

Postby neijia_boxer on Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:34 am

Out of curiosity Ken,

How come you aren't doing any seminars on Xingyi, Cotton Boxing drills, or the Yijinjing that you learned? The posts in the other forum topic on kua drills interests many people including myself.

Where in Reston would this seminar be?

matt
neijia_boxer

Postby kshurika on Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:14 pm

Is Master Yang coming to the West Coast, or was this just wishful thinking on Bill's part? Is he teaching the Xue Dian style of Xingyi?

Thanks.
kshurika
Wuji

Postby kenneth fish on Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:41 pm

Matt: Several reasons - first and foremost is that if I have a teacher, you can be sure his level of skill is significantly higher than my own (e.g. Qian Zhaohong, Yang Hai), and I am very happy to help them get their information out there (as with the seminars for Qian, I will be working hard assisting and so on. Master Yang speaks very good English, so translation will not be a responsibility this time)

Second - I have been teaching and doing seminar for a long time - I used to do them quite a lot (pre-year 2000) - and I have fond memories of the places I did seminars and the people who hosted them. I just don't have the time and energy to set them up myself anymore (something about running a practice 6 days a week). As you may have gathered, I still go over to the U.K. to teach - and am starting a Tongbei series later this year (my goal is to teach out the entire system as I learned it).

Lastly, my health has been pretty poor for a few years - I am just now recovering from having both Lyme and Hodgkin's disease. For the first time in years I have energy, stamina, and presence of mind. So, more activities in the future, I hope.

Kshurika:

On the contrary - Watch this space! I am trying to find some suitable venues for Master Yang on the West Coast at this writing. Master Yang teaches both very good Li Cunyi style and Xue Dian system - but you really need to learn the foundations of the one (and the incredible mechanics he shows) before going on to the other.
Last edited by kenneth fish on Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Friedrich Nietzsche
kenneth fish
Great Old One

Postby WongYing on Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:08 pm

Cant wait to see you when you get here Ken, and do work more on the Tong Bei :-)

Rgds

Julian
WongYing
Huajing

Postby Joe L. on Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:06 pm

Dr. Fish-

Any idea on the prices for these seminars? More so, what might be the frequency we can expect of having a return seminar that (re)covers/expands on the material? I'm sure the latter question will be harder to answer till after the first seminar, but still.

Whatever info you can provide would be awesome, and thank you for the notification. I wanted to get up to see him back in January but the funds/passport was just not happening at that time..
"The harder you train, the harder it is to surrender"
Joe L.
Great Old One

Postby kshurika on Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:42 pm

Dr. Fish:

Saddleback College in Orange County has hosted some very notable martial arts instructors (Chen Bing, Tim Cartmell). With the right promotion, you'd draw interested martial artists from L.A. and San Diego, because the O.C. is directly in-between the two. You might try contacting Vince McCullough there or Troyce at [email protected]. If you want, I'll look for venues in L.A.

I'm in my third year of Xingyi study and I practice intensely. Master Yang's Xue Dian Xing Yi holds the greatest interest for me, but I'll take whatever he's teaching. It's all good.
kshurika
Wuji

Postby kenneth fish on Sat Aug 15, 2009 5:53 am

We are looking at $75 per day, as it is an introduction to Master Yang for most people. I will post the curriculum for the two seminars later this weekend, along with locations (probably on a separate thread). Both days will be very full - expect to be crammed with info. applications, and mechanics.

Kshurika:

Most of my contacts in L.A. are in neuroscience or the arts, if you think you might like to help set up a venue in LA, please PM me. I am looking at SF as well - will post when things are a bit more concrete.
Friedrich Nietzsche
kenneth fish
Great Old One

Postby edededed on Sat Aug 15, 2009 9:30 am

Mmm - spear, sounds very tasty! :D
edededed
Great Old One

Next

Return to Events, Seminars, Tournaments, Meet-ups