Real Muay Thai in MMA

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Real Muay Thai in MMA

Postby Ian on Thu May 26, 2016 8:20 pm

Awesome

Ian

Re: Real Muay Thai in MMA

Postby .Q. on Thu May 26, 2016 11:13 pm

His footwork flowed so well.
.Q.
Wuji

Postby Ian on Thu May 26, 2016 11:37 pm

Really enjoyed the knees TKO, heavy shots + sprawl, and kicking while making punches miss.

Lots of conditional spars to work on.
Ian

Postby cloudz on Fri May 27, 2016 1:18 am

What do you mean Ian by "conditional spars" :
isolation sparring drills ?

Give us some examples if that's ok with you.

thanks
Regards
George

London UK
cloudz
Great Old One

Postby Ian on Fri May 27, 2016 1:44 am

E.g.

-A goes for any takedown, B defends takedowns and counter-strikes
-A maintains guard, sweeps, submits, B passes
-A maintains side control and hunts for armbars only, B escapes

Occupies the space between drilling and full sparring.

Credit goes to Steve Morris and BJJ.
Ian

Postby middleway on Fri May 27, 2016 3:13 am

Conditional sparring is my favorite type currently. Big BJJ but know that some IMA groups also do that sort of stuff.
"I am not servant to the method, the method is servant to me"
Me

My Blog: http://www.martialbody.com/Blog-Research
middleway
Wuji

Postby cloudz on Fri May 27, 2016 4:05 am

I call them isolation sparring drills or just sparring drills, not that familiar with that term but cool it makes sense/ is what I suspected. As long as I am aware we are talking the same things effectively. As to who you credit, ok thanks for that information.
Last edited by cloudz on Fri May 27, 2016 4:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
Regards
George

London UK
cloudz
Great Old One

Postby cloudz on Fri May 27, 2016 4:10 am

MT is interesting.. Do you do much clinch work against a barrier/ wall/ cage in your system ?
Regards
George

London UK
cloudz
Great Old One

Postby marvin8 on Fri May 27, 2016 1:24 pm

Ian wrote:E.g.

IMO, I would include setups, traps, strategies (internal/external) and transitions (standup <> ground). Chain combinations to get opponent reactions and counter. Here’s sort of an example in groundwork.

Published on Aug 21, 2013:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qk4vPPFtLCA

I would use the same concept in standup, as well.

Besides Steve Morris, other top MMA trainers include Greg Jackson, Mike Winkeljohn, Firas Zahabi, Rafael Cordeiro, Matt Hume, John Kavanagh, Cesar Gracie, Ray Longo, Duke Rufus, and Javier Mendez.
marvin8
Wuji

Postby dspyrido on Fri May 27, 2016 10:58 pm

Yes he's awesome. Definitely enhanced mt by extending the grappling.

Note that onefc allows kicks on the ground. Can really mess someone up.

If they added strikes to the back to the head then it would be very dangerous to miss on a shoot. But that's one rule that is a good rule for comps.
dspyrido
Wuji

Postby Ian on Sat May 28, 2016 1:08 am

cloudz wrote:MT is interesting.. Do you do much clinch work against a barrier/ wall/ cage in your system ?

No, only ring.

Yeah, isolation sparring / conditional sparring / whatever you want to call it is super useful.

marvin8 wrote:IMO, I would include setups, traps, strategies (internal/external) and transitions (standup <> ground). Chain combinations to get opponent reactions and counter. Here’s sort of an example in groundwork.

That's not what we're talking about. We're talking about sparring where each person has an intentionally limited number of goals / tools / responses.
Ian

Postby marvin8 on Sat May 28, 2016 12:32 pm

Ian wrote:
marvin8 wrote:IMO, I would include setups, traps, strategies (internal/external) and transitions (standup <> ground). Chain combinations to get opponent reactions and counter. Here’s sort of an example in groundwork.

That's not what we're talking about. We're talking about sparring where each person has an intentionally limited number of goals / tools / responses.

Ian wrote:E.g.

Ian, sorry. I mistakenly thought you can integrate those skills in with the conditional sparring. Now, I think I understand better. To take your example, "-A goes for any takedown, B defends takedowns and counter-strikes," A does the takedown attacks which gives you (B) the opportunity to practice several (or all) of your defensive moves and counters, which you may not encounter in normal sparring.

Reading an older rumsoakedfist post, http://rumsoakedfist.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2937&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a, Steve Morris’ training program under II. Drills, includes “C. Chain Drills.” Under III. Fighting Methods, it includes, “A. Playfighting” and “B. Conditional Sparring.” I imagine the setups, traps, strategies (internal/external) and transitions (standup <> ground) would fall under Playfighting. We have drills for technique. I think we should have strategy drills and sparring, too. Push hands is one strategy drill with contact. IMO, we should drill strategy in medium and long range, as well.

I guess -shrug- the "Conditional sparring" would be more technique oriented and the “Playfighting” would be more strategy oriented. IMO, both types of sparring are important.

In my initial reply, I was thinking of Bruce Frantzis. To paraphrase him, every move in Tai Chi combines and integrates Peng, Lu, Ji and An, which is essentially a strategy. I don’t know if his statement is true or not. Excerpt from http://www.energyarts.com/offer/old-yan ... hi-edition:
5. 13 Tai Chi Principles or Energies: There are eight primary energies used in tai chi and we will look at how these manifest within the tai chi form. All movements in tai chi are composed of permutations of these eight building blocks, as they continuously combine, separate, and recombine during each individual posture and transitional move. Initially we will focus on Peng, Lu, Ji and An and you will learn how each move integrates and combines these. Later in the course we will look at the remaining 5 which relate to the footwork methodology of tai chi and are responsible for moving the feet and body's center smoothly and with stability.
Last edited by marvin8 on Sat May 28, 2016 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
marvin8
Wuji

Postby Rabbit on Mon May 30, 2016 4:46 am

Those knees
Youch!!!
Rabbit
Wuji

Return to Video Links