Simply Beautiful Aikido

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Re: Simply Beautiful Aikido

Postby Bao on Tue Oct 18, 2016 1:22 pm

Interloper wrote:Not sure I'd agree with that, though I absolutely concur that there are plenty of demos where the uke/partner is conditioned to respond in a certain way. There are those demonstrators who don't really have much, and their students have drunk the kool-aid and have taught themselves to tank for their teacher.

All aikidokas condition themselves to react and respond a certain way. Though, this is not only a question of Aikido. There's a similar thing in jujutsu, judo and in many other "throwing" arts. The thing is that when they feel that they are going to the ground, they almost automatically prepare themselves to fall or roll just the way they were taught how to learn and fall. It's very irritating to practice with someone who wants to roll pretty. They go to the ground before I even have a chance to know if my technique was sufficiently executed to bring someone down who brought some resistance into the play. If you always play with this kind of people, you never have a chance to perfect your techniques, because they take away an important part of the work you do. So I don't like any kind of trained way of falling. It really builds bad habits. Learn to take a fall by falling. That's it.

That happens plenty. However, that is not what is happening in the OP video. Sometimes, there really is something going on, and the uke/partner is compelled to move -- either by mechanical force that moves him whether he wants to or not; by pain compliance, where he moves himself to escape pain; or, by a combination of the two. I am inclined to say that this latter option is what is happening in the OP video.

I know that some people lock themselves when they grab and that there are ways to force someone to lock himself in a grip. So partially I agree. But the Uke has still trained a certain way and must prepare his body posture before he goes to the ground or hurt himself. Otherwise he can not be thrown in the controlled way that he has learned.

Conditioned response also can happen in arts where there is, in fact, skill and power, and, if the uke does not throw himself just ahead of the demonstrator, he will experience really terrible pain and concussion, and, possibly, injury.

Exactly. He throw himself ahead of the demonstrator. That is just what I said.

Another person, a non aikidoka who was trained in throwing arts would respond with a counter movement. And a person from another art would not grab the way aikidokas do or throw a fist the way aikidokas practice. So what you see in the OP is an aikido situation. It doesn't mean that anything is fake, but it means that it works and looks a certain way because they both practice aikido or whatever aiki kind of art this was about.

That's what ukemi is for, though in traditional combat arts, the throws and take-downs are designed to not allow an opponent to breakfall out of it. But, in a training setting, adjustments are made to permit escape from injury, and the breakfalls are the way students condition themselves to get the hell out of the path of destruction.

Again, it's a terribly over complicated way to escape a "path of destruction". No Chinese art teach their students that they must throw themselves upside down so their feet meet the sky. There are tons and tons of counter moves that could be used instead. The way you people teach and learn is almost purely for show and building ego. Kind of. Not meant to be offensive.

Though I appreciate the way of learning how to flow with the force. It's good to exaggerate things if you know why and how. Here is the real benefit with this kind of practice. Following skill, not the jumping/throwing part.

This does not make the demo fake; it's just that the person on the receiving end knows what's coming and stays just enough ahead to keep himself safe.

In an unnecessary over complicated manner, yes.

.... I appreciate the artistic values though. It's called "art" for a reason. ;)
Last edited by Bao on Tue Oct 18, 2016 1:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby Interloper on Tue Oct 18, 2016 3:59 pm

I appreciate the artistic applications too, as well as the very real methodological principles they are meant to illustrate and demonstrate.

One other thing about conditioning: I have used internally driven waza on non-martial artists, including a former (American) football fullback, and as they did not know how to take ukemi, when they were compelled to move they couldn't "escape" ahead of my application, and instead ended up in very messy positions that would have resulted in serious head and joint injury if I had not stopped. That's just my own experience, but I have also observed it with other internal practitioners who were demonstrating on non-martial artists.

Bao wrote:
Interloper wrote:Not sure I'd agree with that, though I absolutely concur that there are plenty of demos where the uke/partner is conditioned to respond in a certain way. There are those demonstrators who don't really have much, and their students have drunk the kool-aid and have taught themselves to tank for their teacher.

All aikidokas condition themselves to react and respond a certain way. Though, this is not only a question of Aikido. There's a similar thing in jujutsu, judo and in many other "throwing" arts. The thing is that when they feel that they are going to the ground, they almost automatically prepare themselves to fall or roll just the way they were taught how to learn and fall. It's very irritating to practice with someone who wants to roll pretty. They go to the ground before I even have a chance to know if my technique was sufficiently executed to bring someone down who brought some resistance into the play. If you always play with this kind of people, you never have a chance to perfect your techniques, because they take away an important part of the work you do. So I don't like any kind of trained way of falling. It really builds bad habits. Learn to take a fall by falling. That's it.

That happens plenty. However, that is not what is happening in the OP video. Sometimes, there really is something going on, and the uke/partner is compelled to move -- either by mechanical force that moves him whether he wants to or not; by pain compliance, where he moves himself to escape pain; or, by a combination of the two. I am inclined to say that this latter option is what is happening in the OP video.

I know that some people lock themselves when they grab and that there are ways to force someone to lock himself in a grip. So partially I agree. But the Uke has still trained a certain way and must prepare his body posture before he goes to the ground or hurt himself. Otherwise he can not be thrown in the controlled way that he has learned.

Conditioned response also can happen in arts where there is, in fact, skill and power, and, if the uke does not throw himself just ahead of the demonstrator, he will experience really terrible pain and concussion, and, possibly, injury.

Exactly. He throw himself ahead of the demonstrator. That is just what I said.

Another person, a non aikidoka who was trained in throwing arts would respond with a counter movement. And a person from another art would not grab the way aikidokas do or throw a fist the way aikidokas practice. So what you see in the OP is an aikido situation. It doesn't mean that anything is fake, but it means that it works and looks a certain way because they both practice aikido or whatever aiki kind of art this was about.

That's what ukemi is for, though in traditional combat arts, the throws and take-downs are designed to not allow an opponent to breakfall out of it. But, in a training setting, adjustments are made to permit escape from injury, and the breakfalls are the way students condition themselves to get the hell out of the path of destruction.

Again, it's a terribly over complicated way to escape a "path of destruction". No Chinese art teach their students that they must throw themselves upside down so their feet meet the sky. There are tons and tons of counter moves that could be used instead. The way you people teach and learn is almost purely for show and building ego. Kind of. Not meant to be offensive.

Though I appreciate the way of learning how to flow with the force. It's good to exaggerate things if you know why and how. Here is the real benefit with this kind of practice. Following skill, not the jumping/throwing part.

This does not make the demo fake; it's just that the person on the receiving end knows what's coming and stays just enough ahead to keep himself safe.

In an unnecessary over complicated manner, yes.

.... I appreciate the artistic values though. It's called "art" for a reason. ;)
Last edited by Interloper on Tue Oct 18, 2016 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pariah without peer
Interloper
Great Old One

Postby Bao on Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:18 pm

Interloper wrote:One other thing about conditioning: I have used internally driven waza on non-martial artists, including a former (American) football fullback, and as they did not know how to take ukemi, when they were compelled to move they couldn't "escape" ahead of my application, and instead ended up in very messy positions that would have resulted in serious head and joint injury if I had not stopped. ]

I've never said that I doubt you can do this and similar. And I never said that it was "fake". I only said that it would look different if you did it against a non-aikidoka. You just confirmed my view.
Bao
Great Old One

Postby Trick on Wed Oct 19, 2016 12:57 am

Can not see the Op video. But my take on about the "beautiful" falling/rolling in Aikido is to get some intensity in the practice(the uke is quick up on the feets to "attack" again and again. This practice is probably to develop distancing and timing for both the attacker and defender. Way back when i did some Aikido(very limited experience) i think i heard or read that Aikido was very much about atemi(striking) if used in real life defence, but i never reached that level within that art.
Trick

Postby Bao on Wed Oct 19, 2016 12:40 pm

Trick wrote:i think i heard or read that Aikido was very much about atemi(striking) if used in real life defence, but i never reached that level within that art.

Striking is not something any other martial art except Aikido consider "advanced". If you have practiced the art and you are not even sure that it has striking... :-\

There are even tai chi teachers who are teaching striking from day one and do this without compromising tai chi principles.
Bao
Great Old One

Postby Trick on Wed Oct 19, 2016 8:54 pm

I know striking is within the aikido curriculum, but i do not think it is concidered anything advanced at all. Looking back on my very limited Aikido experience i can understand it was all about awareness practice, and it's goal is to constantly refine ones awareness of such as body mechanics and ones immediate surroundings, much as the goals of taijiquan, just different ways of practice
Trick

Postby Interloper on Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:25 pm

The video is of Daito-ryu aikijujutsu, the parent art of aikido but very different from contemporary aikido. Striking in DR-AJJ utilizes the entire unified body behind the strike -- so, you are attacking with the body, not just a limb. In that respect it becomes ate-waza -- a full-body attack, not just atemi -- a strike or blow with a limb.
Pariah without peer
Interloper
Great Old One

Postby Trick on Thu Oct 20, 2016 12:31 am

Interloper wrote:The video is of Daito-ryu aikijujutsu, the parent art of aikido but very different from contemporary aikido. Striking in DR-AJJ utilizes the entire unified body behind the strike -- so, you are attacking with the body, not just a limb. In that respect it becomes ate-waza -- a full-body attack, not just atemi -- a strike or blow with a limb.

Yes you are right, this is the correct way of striking and as i was shown by my aikido teacher, we never practiced this but were made understood this was the way. As of course is the way of striking in many martial arts.
Trick

Postby Bao on Thu Oct 20, 2016 12:40 pm

Interesting.... So DR-AJJ teach striking early in the teaching curriculum?
Bao
Great Old One

Postby WVMark on Thu Oct 20, 2016 6:24 pm

Trick wrote:Can not see the Op video. But my take on about the "beautiful" falling/rolling in Aikido is to get some intensity in the practice(the uke is quick up on the feets to "attack" again and again. This practice is probably to develop distancing and timing for both the attacker and defender. Way back when i did some Aikido(very limited experience) i think i heard or read that Aikido was very much about atemi(striking) if used in real life defence, but i never reached that level within that art.

Not quite right. There is an interview with Mochizuki. He was a pre-war student of Ueshiba who learned Daito ryu. Mochizuki was a tough MMAer. He said that when Ueshiba would grab them by their wrist, it was so powerful that they thought Ueshiba was going to break their bones. Ueshiba had power. Internal power. And yes, bone breaking power. So, by conditioned response of not wanting your wrist broken (didn't matter that Ueshiba didn't break their bones, just that it was powerful enough to warrant the fear), the students (some by their own words in interviews) would do whatever it took, including dumping out early, throwing themselves, etc to not feel Ueshiba's power.

With Ueshiba, either his power flung them away or the students did so themselves to not feel his power. But, it was about the power. With Modern Aikido ... not so much.

As for atemi ... there's a couple interviews around about Ueshiba's demonstration in Manchuria. Ueshiba had specific techniques that he showed. Very specific. He was showcasing his vision. When his attacker, Ohba, decided to switch it up and actually give very real attacks, Ueshiba's demonstration was very different. Ohba did this because they were demonstrating before royalty and he wanted to show something more "real". Ueshiba, of course, was furious. Livid. It wasn't until a naginata master told Ueshiba that the demonstration was one of the best done.

Now, what does this have to do with atemi? Ueshiba told Shioda that in a real fight, it would be about 75% atemi. The demo just highlights the major differences between what Ueshiba showed to the public and what he was capable of. Shioda recounts what Ueshiba knows would happen outside the dojo.

In the Japanese arts (just like the Chinese arts), there are public views and teachings of the martial art and there are private understandings and teachings of the martial art.
WVMark
Huajing

Postby Trick on Thu Oct 20, 2016 8:58 pm

Thanks Mark, interesting info about Ueshiba
Trick

Postby Bodywork on Tue Oct 25, 2016 7:39 am

Last edited by Bodywork on Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bodywork

Postby windwalker on Tue Oct 25, 2016 7:43 am

nice ;)
windwalker
Wuji

Postby origami_itto on Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:24 am

Very nice.

But will it work in...

THE OCTAGON?!!!

Last edited by origami_itto on Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
The form is the notes, the quan is the music
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|IG|
Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby Bodywork on Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:47 am

Last edited by Bodywork on Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Bodywork

PreviousNext

Return to Video Links