Adam Mizner's top student tested (push hands)

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Re: Adam Mizner's top student tested (push hands)

Postby wayne hansen on Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:29 pm

Your backstepping now
Your response followed a question about fight records
The only way to test fighting is to fight
I don't even think I saw the one about Sam
Even if I had Sams a big lump that can take care of himself
And he has a lot of big boys around him from the look of things
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby windwalker on Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:41 pm

wayne hansen wrote:Your backstepping now
Your response followed a question about fight records
The only way to test fighting is to fight

You seem confused.

If he wanted to test or understand skill sets seems pretty easy to do.
If he wants to fight him,,,that's between him and Adam.

Lots of people who don't have fight records or aren't into competitions are quite skilled at what they do..

Now I know that people will start with "Herbert Arndt has no skill..." but Herbert Arndt is a German National Judo Champion, European Judo Champion and won third place in the Judo World Championship starting in the 100+ kg division.

I am really curious how you guys here rate Andy's performance!!!

Best Aqui

after 13pg people are still wondering...we did find out the judo guy is ranked, and also
interesting enough teaches and is known for ph hands...

@Aqui, what would you use as a definitive skill that would separate it from
other skills that he has and other skill sets of other people.
Last edited by windwalker on Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:03 am, edited 3 times in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby Trick on Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:17 am

Mizner lives in Thailand? a lot of good fighters around in that country, I think Muay-Thai is even their national sport? Is Mizner getting the same "heat" towards him in his country of residence, or is the heat just a "westerner" internet thing?.....in my favorite park in Dalian there are people doing TJQ, BGZ, XYQ, Tongbeiquan and much more of various lineages and to various levels from just forms practice to "mysterious" practice to wrestling and putting on gloves practice..it works perfectly fine no badmouthing no challenges, quite a harmonious place to stroll around.
Trick

Postby Bao on Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:44 am

windwalker wrote:
Rhen wrote:Must be nice to be a no fight record pretend fighter and talk about fighter level stuff.

Should be easy enough to sign up for a seminar to find out. Many have

I am not sure that many who have went to his seminars have challenged him to a fight or have had the opportunity to test his sparring skills. Just signing up and go to a seminar would not reveal anything about his fighting skills, only about his T'ai chi skills in a teaching environment. His T'ai chi push hands skills is something very different from what Rhen and Wayne asked about.
Last edited by Bao on Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby willie on Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:46 am

Trick wrote:Mizner lives in Thailand? a lot of good fighters around in that country, I think Muay-Thai is even their national sport? Is Mizner getting the same "heat" towards him in his country of residence, or is the heat just a "westerner" internet thing?.....in my favorite park in Dalian there are people doing TJQ, BGZ, XYQ, Tongbeiquan and much more of various lineages and to various levels from just forms practice to "mysterious" practice to wrestling and putting on gloves practice..it works perfectly fine no badmouthing no challenges, quite a harmonious place to stroll around.

Hi trick. I believe that he did get some heat for a while by the local muay thai fighters. If I remember correctly he actually got into it with at least two or maybe even three of them ganged up against him and he won. I think that he told me that they were smaller guys but tough as hell . That was a long time ago. Adam is a Buddhist and very serious about it, so I don't think that he was lying. I'm glad to hear that you're having a lot of fun practicing in the park with such a wide range of practitioners, good for you. It's a shame that there's so much badmouthing going on. even here on a taijiquan site. I think that it really caused the high-level practitioners to turn away from expressing what they truly believe.
Last edited by willie on Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
willie

Postby windwalker on Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:15 am

It's a shame that there's so much badmouthing going on. even here on a taijiquan site. I think that it really caused the high-level practitioners to turn away from expressing what they truly believe.

Yes it is..

Used to live in and work in Thailand.
In Lumpini Park, Bangkok they had quiet a sizable community of CMA practitioners.
The ThaisI met were very respectful of CMA arts, understood the differences between it
and Thai boxing.... All trained hard maybe for different things.

Regarding seminars, a good way to get a taste of something while not committing to it.
If one can not get a sense of someone in a rather benign environment whats the point?
Last edited by windwalker on Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby Bao on Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:19 am

windwalker wrote:If one can not get a sense of someone in a rather benign environment whats the point?

That’s a good question. ;)
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby Trick on Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:26 am

willie wrote:
Trick wrote:Mizner lives in Thailand? a lot of good fighters around in that country, I think Muay-Thai is even their national sport? Is Mizner getting the same "heat" towards him in his country of residence, or is the heat just a "westerner" internet thing?.....in my favorite park in Dalian there are people doing TJQ, BGZ, XYQ, Tongbeiquan and much more of various lineages and to various levels from just forms practice to "mysterious" practice to wrestling and putting on gloves practice..it works perfectly fine no badmouthing no challenges, quite a harmonious place to stroll around.

Hi trick. I believe that he did get some heat for a while by the local muay thai fighters. If I remember correctly he actually got into it with at least two or maybe even three of them ganged up against him and he won. I think that he told me that they were smaller guys but tough as hell . That was a long time ago. Adam is a Buddhist and very serious about it, so I don't think that he was lying. I'm glad to hear that you're having a lot of fun practicing in the park with such a wide range of practitioners, good for you. It's a shame that there's so much badmouthing going on. even here on a taijiquan site. I think that it really caused the high-level practitioners to turn away from expressing what they truly believe.

Although Thai's are a friendly people I suspected that Mizner might have had a "try out" with some " local boxers", anyway in Thailand he isn't short of fight opportunities if he wanted to do that thing. But as I read an interview of him elsewhere on this forum he seem to focus on a spiritual path where he feel TJQ practice fits right in, in this sense I understand why he's not running around joining push-hand, wrestling and Sanda tournaments......
Trick

Postby willie on Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:29 am

windwalker wrote:
Used to live in and work in Thailand.
In Lumpini Park, Bangkok they had quiet a sizable community of CMA practitioners.
The ThaisI met were very respectful of CMA arts, understood the differences between it
and Thai boxing.... All trained hard maybe for different things.
in most cases I would bet on a Muay Thai Fighter winning, but that just depends on who he is what his natural abilities are and what level he's currently at. I doubt that the guys that Adam fought were anything special. But putting that aside I also am neither excited or disappointed that Adams top guy lost in an MMA fight. Those guys are tough as hell, that's why they are there.
willie

Postby windwalker on Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:38 am

todate I can't recall any CMA guys winning using CMA against the thais.

As I remember a group of CMA guys got killed back in the 70s went back for more
got killed again... :P

All of which has little to do with the OP question

"Now I know that people will start with "Herbert Arndt has no skill..." but Herbert Arndt is a German National Judo Champion, European Judo Champion and won third place in the Judo World Championship starting in the 100+ kg division.

I am really curious how you guys here rate Andy's performance!!!

Best Aqui"

or why, what, how Adam teaches his classes or markets his skill sets.
Last edited by windwalker on Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby wayne hansen on Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:56 am

Adam lives on film I'm sure if he fought Thai boxers it would be out there
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby Giles on Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:40 am

willie wrote: Adam is a Buddhist and very serious about it, so I don't think that he was lying.

In the same way that some people who don't know Mr Mizner personally are making (negative) assumptions about him based on his internet self-portrayals, so this too is an assumption based on his internet self-portrayals.

Just saying.
Do not make the mistake of giving up the near in order to seek the far.
Giles
Wuji

Postby willie on Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:35 am

wayne hansen wrote:Adam lives on film I'm sure if he fought Thai boxers it would be out there

I didn't say that he fought a Thai champions in a ring, if I remember right, it was more like two or three thugs that tried to mug him using Muay Thai fighting techniques. I would imagine that nearly every kid on the Block in Thailand has at least some
Last edited by willie on Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
willie

Postby willie on Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:41 am

Giles wrote:
willie wrote: Adam is a Buddhist and very serious about it, so I don't think that he was lying.

In the same way that some people who don't know Mr Mizner personally are making (negative) assumptions about him based on his internet self-portrayals, so this too is an assumption based on his internet self-portrayals.

Just saying.
hi Giles. The people on this site are making negative assumptions? No, not this board, it couldn't be! I think that I prefer to take the guy's word on it until he proves that I can't
willie

Postby Giles on Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:28 am

Hi Willie,
That's fair-minded.
Do not make the mistake of giving up the near in order to seek the far.
Giles
Wuji

PreviousNext

Return to Video Links