Yang style single whip and applications — Liang De Hua

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Yang style single whip and applications — Liang De Hua

Postby marvin8 on Sun Mar 18, 2018 2:50 pm

Liang De Hua Taijiquan
Published on Mar 2, 2018

Big frame Bow stance Single Whip vs Small frame Horse Stance Single Whip and applications (Eng):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4LATKywaCI
marvin8
Wuji

Re: Yang style single whip and applications — Liang De Hua

Postby Subitai on Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:53 pm

Some good stuff in this vid...thanks for sharing.

However he kind of glosses over his set up after initially poo poo'ing a different version earlier in his vid.

At around 2:40 he basically says you can't do it like that.

then at 8:20 when he says he "Loves to go to this position..." he doesn't describe how he get's there.

======================================

Now...as I'm always saying (and also others on here as well) it's all about the set up or entry or blah blah blah. To be fair, I can think of a few ways that are simple to get into that arm Hook Grab he did at 2:40 and it's not about catching a fast punch on the 1st beat of time. Which he's is cautioning against.

In the same vein, at 8:20 (that position) is something that I call In my school "MY DEAR OLD FRIEND" ....WHY? because its very familiar to us, as it happens so often. Still, you don't literally start a fight from that position...instead it happens organically. Or in other words, it's set up (which he has skipped over)

======================================

Me personally, I don't like his version of arm hooking (dragging) the left arm out wards like that (at 8:20) because it invites the "RIGHT CROSS" by a good fighter who can feel the change. He's literally moving into the right hand. I don't care how fast he's doing it on video to compensate for that, it's just not a good policy IMO.
Subitai
Huajing

Postby C.J.W. on Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:18 pm

As a Bagua guy, the app I'd go for from the position at 8:20 (with the opponent's back hand trapped) is an elbow locking throw or takedown. I also wouldn't try to open him up by swinging the left arm outward.

IMO, if you are already on the outside gate and in good control of the opponent, there's really no point in going through another transition to move to the inside gate, which leaves you more vulnerable to counter attacks. Just stay on the outside gate and get the job done from there. As the number of transitions involved in executing a technique increases, the chances of it going wrong also go up.

But since this is only a demo clip showing different possible applications of Single Whip, I wouldn't fuss over it too much. ;)
Last edited by C.J.W. on Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
C.J.W.
Wuji

Postby GrahamB on Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:14 am

Subitai wrote:Some good stuff in this vid...thanks for sharing.

However he kind of glosses over his set up after initially poo poo'ing a different version earlier in his vid.

then at 8:20 when he says he "Loves to go to this position..." he doesn't describe how he get's there.

It's easy - you hold out your wrist and ask your attacker to grab it. Works. Every. Time.
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby RobP3 on Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:55 am

GrahamB wrote:
Subitai wrote:Some good stuff in this vid...thanks for sharing.

It's easy - you hold out your wrist and ask your attacker to grab it. Works. Every. Time.

"No, the other wrist! No, my wrist!" ;D
"Remember, if your life seems dull and boring - it is" Derek & Clive
www.systemauk.com
RobP3
Wuji

Return to Video Links