RT look on contemporary Wudang

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

RT look on contemporary Wudang

Postby wiesiek on Fri May 18, 2018 3:13 am

Joyful Fruits of the Live
wiesiek
Wuji

Re: RT look on contemporary Wudang

Postby Giles on Fri May 18, 2018 7:40 am

Skimmed through this in about 10 minutes. Ho-hum :-\ .
Master in 'direct San-Feng lineage' does sword form with tinfoil prop.
etc. etc.
Do not make the mistake of giving up the near in order to seek the far.
Giles
Wuji

Postby wiesiek on Mon May 21, 2018 12:32 am

it is what it looks like
contemporary commercial school,
but with ancient word of wisdom :
...todays students doesn`t like to "eat bitter", so we teach them softly..."
anyway
place is nice :)
Joyful Fruits of the Live
wiesiek
Wuji

Postby zrm on Mon May 21, 2018 3:59 pm

I trained with a couple of disciples from this place. A friend of mine had them come down for a couple of seminars. I admit I was skeptical at first but I ended up coming away pretty impressed. It's definitely taiji, its just a little different to orthodox yang or chen. The guys I met had very strong foundations and were exceptionally flexible so you can't say they don't eat bitter either. They were not afraid to put the gloves on either and can show how they use their skills within a sanshou format, which is more than I can say for a lot of taiji people. They also practice a variant of baji. There was some serious fajin going on with that. It wouldn't call it orthodox baji though. I asked about it. One of the earlier generations had crossed trained with a baji group and they had changed it into a hybrid wudang / baji style.

There is definitely some kind of legitimate lineage going in that school regardless of whether you believe it is "the authentic" wudang style.
zrm
Huajing

Postby Giles on Mon May 21, 2018 10:54 pm

Thanks for the information, zrm. I wouldn't have thought that would be the case, but good to hear. You're sure it was this Wu Dang school shown in the video, and not people who had trained with Ismet Himmet during his time spent in the region?
Do not make the mistake of giving up the near in order to seek the far.
Giles
Wuji

Postby HotSoup on Tue May 22, 2018 12:16 am

zrm wrote:I trained with a couple of disciples from this place. A friend of mine had them come down for a couple of seminars. I admit I was skeptical at first but I ended up coming away pretty impressed. It's definitely taiji, its just a little different to orthodox yang or chen. The guys I met had very strong foundations and were exceptionally flexible so you can't say they don't eat bitter either. They were not afraid to put the gloves on either and can show how they use their skills within a sanshou format, which is more than I can say for a lot of taiji people. They also practice a variant of baji. There was some serious fajin going on with that. It wouldn't call it orthodox baji though. I asked about it. One of the earlier generations had crossed trained with a baji group and they had changed it into a hybrid wudang / baji style.

There is definitely some kind of legitimate lineage going in that school regardless of whether you believe it is "the authentic" wudang style.

@zrm, Are they also practicing Taoist monks or it's just a sort of exotic decor?
HotSoup
Anjing

Postby zrm on Tue May 22, 2018 7:27 am

I met Jeff, the American guy shown at the end of the vid and another disciple whose English name was Louis. I didn't personally meet their teacher Yuan Xiu Gang but my kung fu sister and brother have met him and have done some training with him. I did meditation with Jeff, and Taiji and Baji with Louis.

It depends on what you consider practicing Taoist? If you mean martial arts, taoist philosophy, meditation and chinese medicine, then yeah. If you mean hardcore Taoist magic, divination, talking to trees etc, then not so much. I did some seated meditation practice with Jeff. He takes his Taoism pretty seriously but not so serious you can't have a normal conversation with the guy. His knowledge of Taoist texts, history and philosophy was impressive and far exceeded mine, which admittedly is limited. He speaks and reads Chinese like a native. He is also pretty good at playing the Qin (as in the musical instrument), which he considers a related practice but not something that is compulsory learning at the school. He did some old school stuff in between breaks of silent meditation - clicking the teeth, swallowing the saliva, some seated qi gong etc. The microcosmic circuit was mentioned in passing but the group I was with were mostly novices so he didn't go very deep into that.
zrm
Huajing

Return to Video Links