Tai Chi Tips: 8 x 3 = 18 lines of Push Hands

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Re: Tai Chi Tips: 8 x 3 = 16 lines of Push Hands

Postby Appledog on Tue May 14, 2024 4:08 am

origami_itto wrote:Classic Taijiquan stories mention the saying "As soon as the clothing is touched, the enemy can be thrown in any of sixteen ways" but what does that mean in terms of Tai Chi Techniques?

I question the usefulness of this video because it doesn't give any context to what they are actually talking about. I think they should at least show one qigong or one application to ground the discussion.
Appledog
Wuji

Postby origami_itto on Tue May 14, 2024 4:14 am

Appledog wrote:
origami_itto wrote:Classic Taijiquan stories mention the saying "As soon as the clothing is touched, the enemy can be thrown in any of sixteen ways" but what does that mean in terms of Tai Chi Techniques?

I question the usefulness of this video because it doesn't give any context to what they are actually talking about. I think they should at least show one qigong or one application to ground the discussion.

Interesting, do you find the context so hard to understand? Seems extremely straight forward to me even though folks are confused by the thumbnail.
The form is the notes, the quan is the music
Free Tai Chi Classes
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby Appledog on Tue May 14, 2024 6:44 am

origami_itto wrote:
Appledog wrote:

Interesting, do you find the context so hard to understand? Seems extremely straight forward to me even though folks are confused by the thumbnail.

What do you mean, eight directions? Eight gates, five steps? I think what I mean is that it is just not specific and practical enough that it can be a truly useful video to teach others. To me it seems a bit sensationalist.
Appledog
Wuji

Postby origami_itto on Tue May 14, 2024 7:00 am

Appledog wrote:
origami_itto wrote:

What do you mean, eight directions? Eight gates, five steps? I think what I mean is that it is just not specific and practical enough that it can be a truly useful video to teach others. To me it seems a bit sensationalist.

Are you unfamiliar with the words forwards, backwards, left, and right?

Do the arrows on the human figures not make sense?

I'm really trying to break it down as simply and straight forward as possible. Have made some edits, maybe they will help.
Free Tai Chi Classes
origami_itto
Wuji

Re: Tai Chi Tips: 8 x 3 = 18 lines of Push Hands

Postby windwalker on Tue May 14, 2024 7:05 am

A thumbnail, showing one thing different from the video's content,,,might confuse some, others might wonder...
and some pointing it out, might do so, feeling there could have been a mistake...apparently not..

reference made to

rubric's cube ;D

Interesting title, feeling his use of it, suggesting that all taiji depends on horizontal and vertical movement much like the cube itself..to align

He makes a tie in with Chen and Yang style movement....

With your video, no tie in offered might be confusing as to why
as mentioned the thumbnail was chosen "randomly"

kudos, for posting ...hopefully more will show their work
" It’s all in the Form; but only if it is, ALL in the Form."

empty circle taiji
windwalker
Wuji

Postby origami_itto on Tue May 14, 2024 7:10 am

windwalker wrote:A thumbnail, showing one thing different from the video's content,,,might confuse some, others might wonder...
and some pointing it out, might do so, feeling there could have been a mistake...apparently not..

reference made to

rubric's cube ;D

Interesting title, feeling his use of it, suggesting that all taiji depends on horizontal and vertical movement much like the cube itself..to align

He makes a tie in with Chen and Yang style movement....

With your video, no tie in offered might be confusing as to why
as mentioned the thumbnail was chosen "randomly"

kudos, for posting ...hopefully more will show their work

I did replace the video to clear some things up and use a more appropriate thumbnail. People are easy to confuse.

:)

The rubix cube discussion is what made me think to put it together.

It's an inner door teaching that Cheng Man Ching references in at least one place and that T. T. Liang refers to tangentially. I asked Ray about it and this is what he said Liang taught him.

Using it takes a lot more practice and study, you can use the free circle to move energy along any of those vectors through their center or on the surface. Center, fascia/skin, clothing, ... aura?

I would call this an example of usage, but Zephin is really good so he's able to absorb the force and counter.

I sink and let the force bounce off the ground, my hands follow. The vector is like up, back, and to his left.

They should have numbers for clarity
Last edited by origami_itto on Tue May 14, 2024 7:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
Free Tai Chi Classes
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby Appledog on Tue May 14, 2024 9:26 am

origami_itto wrote:Are you unfamiliar with the words forwards, backwards, left, and right?

I'm really trying to break it down as simply and straight forward as possible. Have made some edits, maybe they will help.

Hard to say, I just took a quick look, and the video is down now so I don't really know what else to say. I tend to learn from physical examples so it may very well be that I didn't really understand it. Which, I think, was my point -- forwards, backwards, etc. without context could mean anything.

You say you made edits, is it your video? It's interesting, I'd give it a more detailed examination if it goes back up. Maybe I missed something?
Appledog
Wuji

Postby origami_itto on Tue May 14, 2024 10:08 am

Appledog wrote:
origami_itto wrote:Are you unfamiliar with the words forwards, backwards, left, and right?

Hard to say, I just took a quick look, and the video is down now so I don't really know what else to say. I tend to learn from physical examples so it may very well be that I didn't really understand it. Which, I think, was my point -- forwards, backwards, etc. without context could mean anything.

You say you made edits, is it your video? It's interesting, I'd give it a more detailed examination if it goes back up. Maybe I missed something?

Yes it is my video I put together last night. New edit is at the top of the page and here it's basically all in the thumbnail diagram now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2Rk02qXRH8

origami_itto wrote:
I would call this an example of usage, but Zephin is really good so he's able to absorb the force and counter.

I sink and let the force bounce off the ground, my hands follow. The vector is like up, back, and to his left.

They should have numbers for clarity

Here is a second video demonstrating the usage:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tq50_XRNqE
Last edited by origami_itto on Tue May 14, 2024 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Free Tai Chi Classes
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby wayne hansen on Tue May 14, 2024 11:43 am

Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby origami_itto on Tue May 14, 2024 11:44 am

wayne hansen wrote:https://youtu.be/Td1qx8-bLTw?si=WMPa_E1aT5_w6wLX

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ
Free Tai Chi Classes
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby wayne hansen on Tue May 14, 2024 1:17 pm

I take it that's your younger days
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby origami_itto on Tue May 14, 2024 2:33 pm

I wish I had that Rick Astley money
Free Tai Chi Classes
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby Bao on Wed May 15, 2024 2:11 am

origami_itto wrote:
wayne hansen wrote:https://youtu.be/Td1qx8-bLTw?si=WMPa_E1aT5_w6wLX

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ

I like his new songs better. More mature, less pretentious.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIHHfNVfhPk
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Previous

Return to Video Links