Aikido Sankyo Hook Punch Defense

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Aikido Sankyo Hook Punch Defense

Postby GrahamB on Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:04 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NitLZwRr5Ok

Interesting technique, but what do you think? Could you ever do this in real life without the co-operation of your partner?
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Re: Aikido Sankyo Hook Punch Defense

Postby jpaton on Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:21 am

that wasn't really a hook and the app seems overly complex. i think good punch to the nose would be quicker and easier.
jpaton
Mingjing

Postby Areios on Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:28 am

don't think that this will ever gonna happen. maybe with another setup.
Areios
Wuji

Postby Dmitri on Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:32 am

It seems to me that if the attacker isn't just standing there in an over-committed anticipation of the upcoming demo counter, he might have the defender's back at right about this point:

All he would need to do is drop the left elbow/send it foward a bit, and turn to his left (step forward with his right foot) to "match" defender's hips. And give him a hug from behind. :)

Also, a one-hand-to-one-hand grab like this might not work very well against someone who's noticeably stronger than you.

Seems like there are several options from that position (the block he does at the beginning) that are better than what is shown. :-/
Last edited by Dmitri on Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:38 am, edited 3 times in total.
Dmitri
Great Old One

Postby GrahamB on Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:38 am

What if it was modified, so that while doing the "blending" bit the Tori punched him with his left hand?
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby Dmitri on Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:40 am

I would shoulder-bump/headbutt rather than punch, in that particular case. But I'm not doing Aikido so that doesn't apply.

I like one thing for sure, -- that he moves out of the way of the punch at a forward angle (and to his left.)
Last edited by Dmitri on Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dmitri
Great Old One

Postby GrahamB on Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:51 am

The whole 'going under the arm' thing is the problematic bit for me. Like you say, can't see it working without walking into a nice rear choke. I do like the locking bit and take down at the end though. But how he gets there.... ? ;D
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby Dmitri on Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:58 am

That's true for so many demos... Almost 100% of them. They focus on "the technique" whereas IMHO the proper engagement, the "how he gets there", is the most crucial and difficult part.
Dmitri
Great Old One

Postby GrahamB on Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:02 am

Interesting to compare to push hands - where the focus is mainly on "how you get there" and usually zero on the "technique".
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby Dmitri on Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:11 am

Good point. Enter JW with "where's the finishing move?!" ;D
Dmitri
Great Old One

Postby Josealb on Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:33 am

I think in a live setting, with a guy itching to defend himself, right before he goes under (Dmitri's pic), the attacker would either lower his left elbow and back up, or lower his left elbow and grab his back collar with his other hand, or hit him, or something.

I have a few pals that do Aikido. Ive spoken about push hands with one of them, and he said its a bit of the same thing as his technique training...you dont use it like that in real life. You just learn where the leverage is, yours and the uke's, and learn how it works. Of course, i never ask them if they try to train the real ones...i know the answer. :)
Last edited by Josealb on Mon Dec 21, 2009 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Man carcass in alley this morning...
Josealb
Great Old One

Postby Dmitri on Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:46 am

Josealb wrote:or something

Exactly. He would move; it almost doesn't matter where, but he would move, and that would change the relationship between them. If it's in the wrong direction, it would make the technique easier, sure. But if it's in the right direction, then...

Any "application" that is not taking into account that movement/change, is not a reliable one IMHO.
Dmitri
Great Old One

Postby Wanderingdragon on Mon Dec 21, 2009 12:26 pm

Why not just blaze his ass while you all up in his front door, real short distance from right hand to his face ,throat, chest , stomach,groin , pretty much anywhere you want to go
The point . is absolute
Wanderingdragon
Wuji

Postby WVMark on Mon Dec 21, 2009 1:12 pm

Without going into a whole lot of details, how about one small change to the technique.

At 0:14 seconds, the guy talks about giving a little shot to the attacker's arm. I'd change that. Instead of giving the shot to the arm, which brings the attacker down and forward a bit and makes going under the arm a lot harder than it should be ... I'd use my left elbow as a strike into the attacker's short rib as I'm going under.

That's if I chose to go under, which I probably wouldn't do in the first place. Nor would I back out and turn my body that way on the initial start of the technique. Yuck.
WVMark
Huajing

Postby Wanderingdragon on Mon Dec 21, 2009 1:30 pm

Wanderingdragon wrote:Why not just blaze his ass while you all up in his front door, real short distance from right hand to his face ,throat, chest , stomach,groin , pretty much anywhere you want to go
The point . is absolute
Wanderingdragon
Wuji

Next

Return to Video Links