Wang, Pei Shing linear bagua...

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Wang, Pei Shing linear bagua...

Postby ashe on Tue May 13, 2008 10:58 pm

discipline, concentration & wisdom
----------------------------------------
http://fallingleaveskungfu.com/
Facebook
Instagram
ashe
Great Old One

Re: Wang, Pei Shing linear bagua...

Postby AllanF on Tue May 13, 2008 11:17 pm

Many thanks to Ashe for copying this over from the old EF.com.

Bloody brillent stuff!
AllanF

Postby Leishen on Wed May 14, 2008 3:25 am

very nice. I would love to see some xing yi quan from Grandmaster Wang
Leishen
Great Old One

Postby SPJ on Wed May 14, 2008 6:48 am

thanks for posting.

I like his books and videos on Wu style Tai JI.

I also knows that he did Tong Bei, too.

cool.

8-)
SPJ
Wuji

Postby Buddy on Wed May 14, 2008 7:22 am

Liu Dekuan style
Buddy
Great Old One

Postby edededed on Wed May 14, 2008 7:24 am

What is he demonstrating exactly? I can see what looks like a bit of the 64 hands (from Liu Dekuan) at the beginning, but the rest seems to be something else?
edededed
Great Old One

Postby FigureFour on Wed May 14, 2008 5:54 pm

hey ed, im very far from being an expert, but i learned the beginning few lines of the 64 a long time ago and thats definitely it. the rest has got to be from it too, notice the opening and closing posture for each set is the same, with one arm across the body under the other. if you want definite proof, im pretty sure he put a book out on the whole form. or, if youve ever got some time to meet up ive got a video by Gao Xiao Fei with the whole form and applications i could let you borrow indefinitely.
FigureFour
Santi

Postby edededed on Thu May 15, 2008 1:11 am

Well - I did recognize the first two lines, I think, although the execution is pretty different from my version. The rest looks rather different, though - also (I didn't count properly, but) it seems that he is doing more than 8 lines of things, and some of them seem quite long (more than 8 movements) after the first two lines of the 64.

But yeah, anyway, meeting up would be cool (not much time these days, though, as usual!)...
edededed
Great Old One

Postby josh on Thu May 15, 2008 10:00 am

Ed, I have a book on this set written by one of Wang Peisheng's students, and I noticed when I read it that their version is much more elaborate than the version that I learned (which is quite close to the way the set is done in the Liang style lineages that I've seen). The names of techniques are all the same, and the techniques are still recognizable, but in Wang's version many of the techniques seem to be much more complicated or contain additional movements compared to other versions.
通背神拳誰敢擋﹐無影無形無柔剛。兩手捧定千斤法﹐專打邪魔鬼神忙。
josh
Great Old One

Postby lindun on Thu May 15, 2008 11:28 am

Hey guys this is called Bagua Wuxing Zhang. He demonstrated first 2, Pi Kao and Chuan Xiu, in this video clip. Not Liu style Bagua, but the beginning posture is similar.

This info came from Mr.Zhang Yun
lindun
Mingjing

Postby wetmarble on Thu May 15, 2008 12:14 pm

This is very clearly Liu Dekuan's 64 linear attacks. I've learned 2 versions of this set, Li Ziming's 64 and Bejing Gao's 64.

I was able to recognize 7 of the 8 lines very clearly. The only one that differs radically from the lines I've learned is line 3. The video also seems to repeat some of the lines, particularly 2 and 6. I don't think that he is adding extra movements, but on some of the lines it looks like he has decided to repeat some of the movements. If I had to guess, I'd say that he hadn't done this form in a while and didn't quite remember which move came next.
wetmarble
Anjing

Postby lindun on Thu May 15, 2008 12:58 pm

wetmarble.

Have you ever trained under Wang Pei Sheng's bagua? Li Zi Ming's 64 and Beijing Gao 64 is not the same as Wang Pei Sheng Liu style bagua 64 linear, but you can tell it came from the same source, things change overtime.

and its kind of funny how you are guessing he forgot the movements
lindun
Mingjing

Postby edededed on Thu May 15, 2008 5:09 pm

Hmm... Interesting.

I am familiar with Li Ziming's version and Gao Ziying's version, and have read a bit about Wang Peisheng's version (he added hexagram relationships); in any case this video seemed to differ substantially from the two versions I have seen before... but I defer to Zhang Yun who, as a disciple of Wang Peisheng, should know what Wang was demonstrating :D

(As for forgetting movements - even many of the old great masters in China do this often - it is not that rare of an occurrence ;) )
edededed
Great Old One

Postby wetmarble on Fri May 16, 2008 8:41 am

lindun wrote:wetmarble.

Have you ever trained under Wang Pei Sheng's bagua? Li Zi Ming's 64 and Beijing Gao 64 is not the same as Wang Pei Sheng Liu style bagua 64 linear, but you can tell it came from the same source, things change overtime.

and its kind of funny how you are guessing he forgot the movements

I have not trained Wang Pei Sheng's bagua. I agree, it's not the same, but it's clearly based on the same source. I find it fascinating to see the minor differences and the similarities. It really illustrates the underlying principles, rather than focusing on the specific movements. For me, it all comes down to Shakesphere: "A rose by any other name would smell as sweet." Call it Liu Dekuan's 64 Linear attacks, call it Ba Gua Wu Xing Zhang, call it whatever you like.

As for forgetting, it wasn't a judgment, just my opinion as to what was going on. I see it all the time, both amongst new students and very experienced teachers. The bottom line is that we all have learned things that we don't practice regularly and when we don't practice them regularly, we sometimes forget what comes next. It doesn't in any way detract from the skill of the practitioner.
wetmarble
Anjing

Postby josh on Sat May 17, 2008 1:20 pm

Wang Peisheng's student (I think?) Gao Xiaofei performing the Liu Dekuan set:
http://www.6rooms.com/watch/250986.html
通背神拳誰敢擋﹐無影無形無柔剛。兩手捧定千斤法﹐專打邪魔鬼神忙。
josh
Great Old One

Next

Return to Video Links