Yang Style 2 Man Form

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Yang Style 2 Man Form

Postby Steve Rowe on Tue Feb 08, 2011 3:36 pm

Filmed tonight at my Kwoon....

If you see someone without a smile - give 'em one of yours...
Steve Rowe
Wuji

Re: Yang Style 2 Man Form

Postby Fubo on Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:32 pm

Interesting form, thanks for sharing, Steve. Just out of curious, where does it come from? I'm not familiar with it? I've never seen it before in the Yang Shou Zhong line.
Fubo
Wuji

Postby Steve Rowe on Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:16 am

AFAIK Chu Gin Soon learned it from his first 'Yang Style' instructor, although it's not 'family' YSC identified it as their style and 'corrected' it. CGS taught it in the UK and Jim Uglow also went to Boston for further instruction and I learned it from Jim.

This is CGS's son Vincent demonstrating it:

Steve Rowe
Wuji

Postby Steve Rowe on Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:08 am

This is the class practicing side A solo.....

Steve Rowe
Wuji

Postby Fubo on Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:48 am

Cool, cheers Steve.
Fubo
Wuji

Postby neijia_boxer on Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:07 am

Nice, a bit different from what i learned, but it is the same form. here is a rusty version, we had not practiced for a while.

neijia_boxer

Postby GrahamB on Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:15 am

I always find Tai Chi 2 person forms look awfully 'forced' and unnatural, no matter who is doing them or what style they are from (not a dig at Steve and his students). The 'blocks' always seem to be strange little taps that wouldn't stop anything?

In contrast I find the the Northern Shaolin 2 man stuff always looks a lot more interesting, fun and 'useful' to me.

Typically, I can't find a good video example of a 2 man form, but check out this guy I found showing over 30 years of practice at 'spring legs'!

I just don't think Tai Chi is really built for doing 2 man set forms with....
Last edited by GrahamB on Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby RobP2 on Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:31 am

I learnt three variants of Yang style two person set and, to be honest, found the other two more applicable. This one is "nice" but always felt too "formy" for me.
Also wondered if there is a reason for the head tilt?

Oh and - Vincent is a great guy, but that shirt and pant combo.... :-)

"If your life seems dull and boring - it is" - Derek & Clive
http://www.systemauk.com/
RobP2
Great Old One

Postby neijia_boxer on Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:59 am

GrahamB wrote:I always find Tai Chi 2 person forms look awfully 'forced' and unnatural, no matter who is doing them or what style they are from (not a dig at Steve and his students). The 'blocks' always seem to be strange little taps that wouldn't stop anything?

I somewhat agree, but strangely they are not "strange little taps for blocks" it is a sensing and cover using following energy. i prefer getting guys to use focus mitts and palm/fist/elbow/knee/kick striking for real fighting. 88 form makes a good addition to the Yang Style curriculum, 88 form uses sensing and reacting with getting people into 'attack and defense aspects', different applications can be found, and variations of the 13 energies. It makes for a great demo form.

Last time I worked on that form was 2007, its good to learn, but get what you can from it and move on, a choreographed form will not help you learn true self defense.
neijia_boxer

Postby GrahamB on Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:03 am

Hey neijia_boxer - I thought your 2 man Tai Chi form was very much one of the better ones ;)

I don't think these things make good demonstration forms though - I can't imagine a 'normal' person would see it as entertaining to watch, since a lot of the work, like you say, is about subtle shifts and follows. In contrast the Shaolin 2 man forms tend towards the dramatic ( a lot of times, they get silly, I'll admit). But the good ones can be "Good for show" and also teach important things about distance and timing.
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby neijia_boxer on Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:23 am

Actually mine was pretty bad :) compared to when I studied it diligently , i would rather watch a 88 two person set than a solo form IMO.

Two person sets are good, i learned some Shaolin ones and some Wu-shu-y ones as well, so I played with the hard styles and soft styles (Hsing-i's "An shen Pao", and Pa-Kua "Rou Shou") and they have some conditioning (hitting body), qi-na, striking, sensing, distance and timing (as you said GrahamB) and other important aspects for a student. I would place it in past the 'beginner level' into more for 'intermediate students' and teach the "sparrring and combat" to Advanced students. Two person sets as a means to an end- no way.
neijia_boxer

Postby Steve Rowe on Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:44 am

The 2 man form teaches your body subliminally how to react to differing ideas and techniques so the response is not to seize and panic but soften and respond appropriately. I find it works remarkably well and alongside all the other Taiji training and fills a necessary gap. The 'form' is then varied so you don't necessarily know exactly what's coming and in push hands becomes more freestyle. I don't like 'sparring' as I feel that it's contradictory training to self defence and feel that predetermined or semi predetermined attack and defend with the right mindset works better.
Steve Rowe
Wuji

Postby wayne hansen on Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:11 pm

i learnt the san shou as two solo forms first,with several applications for each movement used as a completion.
the biggest problem with the duo set is each move is defeated before it reaches its target,so that when many people practice it as solo forms they build in its own
defeat.
i later learnt raymond chungs version which incorperated all his push hand drills.
the purpose being if the attack did not suit the corresponding defence you would flow into pushing until you could return to a better attack,becoming somewhat freestyle.
the next version i learnt was tt liangs long form which has all the pushing hands and ta lu interwoven into the 88.
here is my playlist wher i have accumelated several forms http://www.youtube.com/my_playlists?p=D30F32F76AE8B56F
Last edited by wayne hansen on Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby williamwilson666 on Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:34 pm

Two of Paul Brecher's students (formerly WTBA) performing the large san sau from Erle's Yang style.

Pretty decent attempt at it:
williamwilson666
Anjing

Postby Doc Stier on Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:14 am

While acknowledging the value of Two Person Forms, the fact remains that most Tai-Chi Chuan practitioners are hobbyists, who apparently have difficulty finding ample time and motivation to simply practice their Solo Forms enough to acquire much health benefit or martial skill. :-\

Any Two Person Form requires just as much or more time and effort, as well as a regular partner who is also willing to practice with the same quality and consistency as you. It has been my observation that this rarely occurs unless you are able to enlist the participation of a mate or other family member, whom you see daily, and thus have the opportunity to train with on a frequent basis.

In this way, the availability of ready practice partners has always been a prime reason for teaching family members, and has long been a sure method of perpetuating a 'family' style. 8-)
"First in the Mind and then in the Body."
Doc Stier
Great Old One

Next

Return to Video Links